Genre Challenge ‘70’s Disco/Funk

Oct 08, 2018, 03:26 AM

This year I’ve given myself a challenge to write songs in different genres, and boy, what a journey of learning it’s been, which synth to choose, whether to put strings in or not, how to EQ perc out of a busy mix, anyway I’ve loved creating this track.

https://soundcloud.com/cowparsleyman/dancehj

I gave it to a DJ friend in Seoul for her birthday, she liked it…so I’m happy, what do you think?, but please, put some flares on, grow your hair long (if you have any to grow), throw a glass of water over yourself to re create the feeling of sweating in a hot club and play it LOUD.

Hope you dig.

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 10, 2018, 11:14 AM

I fell off my platform shoes grooving to the beat. You captured the disco feeling really well. Love the funky bass. Do you think it could maybe do with more going on melodically on top of the beat?

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 10, 2018, 11:24 AM

Hi Gavin

Thanks for the listen

You may be right there, I intended to have a Dave Sandborn Sax solo, but Dave was busy, also HJ doesn’t like too much verbosity in her mixes, I have a couple of irons in the fire for Vocal versions…it might take a while but I’ll be in touch.

Thanks again

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 30, 2018, 11:37 AM

A guy was kind enough to furnish me with a sax solo, so take a listen…kind of makes it right now.

https://soundcloud.com/cowparsleyman/dancehj-with-sax-eventide-harmonizer-18102018

Hope you like it.

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 01, 2018, 10:53 AM

I like the sax break. It injects a jazzy feel to the disco beat. Very funky. It takes us a long time to get there, though. My feeling is that this could be made even better with the addition of some kind of very simple melodic element on top of all that great funk going on, starting earlier in the song. It could just be the occasional interjection of a short catchy phrase. You already do some of that with the “Mmm, mmm, mmm.” Or it could be something else. Whatever you decide, or if you just leave it alone, it’s really good.

There’s a strange little break at 3:10, as if you stopped and started again.

What is that Harmonizer you have in the picture?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 01, 2018, 11:06 AM

Hi Gavin

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated, I ought to explain that this is intended to be a dance track, a present for a DJ friend of mine in Seoul called HyeJung (hence the HJ), she doesn’t like to much talk in her mixes, she also doesn’t want them petering out too soon…

Having left it a bit bare, it rather lends itself to remixes, to that end I have a cracking female vocalist currently working on a remix, and that’ll be great when she finishes it, I have no idea what she’ll do with it! I’m half expecting her to do the catchy injections as you rightly point out. There might be quite a few remixes from this.

The strange break is to add something different to what could be a monotonous groove, I try to add a little bit of something just when you start getting bored,an old trick from my Jazz days.

The Harmonizer is an Eventide H910, used by many in the 70’s to get that sound, if you know ‘Young Americans’ by Bowies, the producer Tony Visconti uses it on sax player Dave Sandborn’s introduction, really brings out stuff like that. I used one for the first back in the early 80’s and it blew me away, so I downloaded the plugin and it sounds great, although I have managed to get the same sound from a Waves Doubler plugin for only $20 (the Eventide one is about $250..

Thanks again Gavin, hope this helps

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 01, 2018, 11:19 AM

Yes, I can see it going down well on the dance floor in Korea. I didn’t know you produced Seoul music :)

I recently downloaded the Izotope Vocal Doubler. As the name suggests, it’s aimed at vocals, but I don’t see any reason why it shouldn’t work for sax, come to think of it. It just automates the process of shifting vocals very slightly in pitch, timing and stereo separation, turning out a track that has the original and two slightly shifted versions, or just the shifted versions. The name “Harmonizer” suggests the Eventide plug-in does a lot more than that though.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 01, 2018, 11:26 AM

Seoul music, mmm mmm mmm, love it man…

Yeah, I tried that freebie too, but I really didn’t like it at all, I wasn’t able to change some of the crucial elements of the sound. (if indeed it was the same one..)

I still like doing those harmoniser effects the manual way, also use Melodyne for that too, can get some nice things going with that, makes it sound less processed than the doubling fx.

I spent a day fiddling with the hardware Eventide and yes it does waaaaaaaay more, but to be honest most of it is completely unusable!

Eventide give you a trial period on their plugins, why not download it and see what it can do….you’ll find out what lies at the edge of a blackhole…

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 03, 2018, 06:16 AM

Rich
can feel it man LOL

nice sound will listen to mor of your soundcloud stuff later but like what I heard

John

john morrison Joined Oct 15, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 03, 2018, 12:47 PM

Cheers John

I appreciate you taking the time to listen to my work.

There is all sorts of stuff on there, I’ve just put a cover of Imagine up on my showcase, and a demo-esque piece called Simple Mind,

Classical, folk grunge, I’m on a bit of a challenge, I want to improve my production techniques, so I’m trying to do a song in a different genre t DanceHJ was one of these, glad you dig man.

I’m working on a b’52s song and a stock aitken and waterman type thing, it’s been great fun and a real challenge….

Thanks again John

whizz me a link to your page and I’ll reciprocate…

Rich

Rich Joined Jan 06, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 03, 2018, 01:12 PM

Rich
no page just write

John

john morrison Joined Oct 15, 2018