Seasons

Nov 07, 2018, 06:03 AM

Hello, i’m back for more abuse :)
I played this new song, ‘Seasons’ live last night for the first time and i’d like to know what you guys think, not just to the song itself but my performance and stage prescence. Many thanks :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sz6SZW8C2o

RealKevM Joined Jan 12, 2018
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 07, 2018, 10:59 AM

Hi Kev. I feel like I heard this before. Did you post it here previously?

Nothing wrong with the stage presence, although your pitch seems to drift quite a lot - says the guy who can’t sing for toffee :)

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 07, 2018, 01:37 PM

Hi Gav, I did a search before posting and don’t I did but I did post a demo version at other forums.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 07, 2018, 02:56 PM

Kev, I think maybe the reason I thought that is that your songs all tend to be very similar as far as the melody goes. I revisited the video of the set you posted here a while ago and was immediately struck by how much the songs there resemble this one. Do you think a little more variety might spice up your set a little?

It can be hard, if you have a particular style of guitar playing, to avoid just falling into the pattern that you instinctively play. You might try putting the guitar aside and trying to come up with a melody in your head. In my experience, this is best done while drunk and walking home from the pub :) Hum it, whistle it, sing it with lyrics. Then, once you have a fully formed melody to your lyrics, grab your guitar. You might find you have a different kind of song to break up your set a bit.

Just an attempt to be helpful from someone who is not really qualified to offer any advice. :)

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 08, 2018, 02:42 AM

I can’t understand the words, as you sing them. Remember, they have to ‘get’ it without a Lyric sheet, just by hearing the words sung. Without that understanding I’m not sure if you have a good structure, ‘hit’ THE Hook/title in the right places and enough times, and other factors of evaluation of a Song’s merits (and demerits).

I suggest finding ten Songs by other people that you’d like to sing and learning them. A small repertoire of ‘cover’ Songs can be very educational. Executing them can train you in prosody (how the Lyric Melody fits the beat and key) and enunciating words while singing notes.

As we approach the Christmas season a list of Christmas Carols comes to mind. Many can be played with simple progressions, and easily sung.

The enunciation practiced in delivering those Songs can improve enunciation on your own Songs. Getting the words from your mouth to listeners’ ears is of strategic importance. It is a ‘communication’. If what you’re sending is not being received, the onus is on the sender to improve the enunciation.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 10, 2018, 05:50 AM
Gavin Sinclair - 07 November 2018 02:56 PM

Kev, I think maybe the reason I thought that is that your songs all tend to be very similar as far as the melody goes. I revisited the video of the set you posted here a while ago and was immediately struck by how much the songs there resemble this one. Do you think a little more variety might spice up your set a little?

It can be hard, if you have a particular style of guitar playing, to avoid just falling into the pattern that you instinctively play. You might try putting the guitar aside and trying to come up with a melody in your head. In my experience, this is best done while drunk and walking home from the pub :) Hum it, whistle it, sing it with lyrics. Then, once you have a fully formed melody to your lyrics, grab your guitar. You might find you have a different kind of song to break up your set a bit.

Just an attempt to be helpful from someone who is not really qualified to offer any advice. :)

Hi Gav, yeah it’s sometimes hard to look objectively and see things like the melodies, though I suspect half the problem is that i’m not that good of a singer. Others have covered my songs and really brought them to life with some proper melody introduced to the vocals.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 10, 2018, 05:51 AM
Gary E. Andrews - 08 November 2018 02:42 AM

I can’t understand the words, as you sing them. Remember, they have to ‘get’ it without a Lyric sheet, just by hearing the words sung. Without that understanding I’m not sure if you have a good structure, ‘hit’ THE Hook/title in the right places and enough times, and other factors of evaluation of a Song’s merits (and demerits).

I suggest finding ten Songs by other people that you’d like to sing and learning them. A small repertoire of ‘cover’ Songs can be very educational. Executing them can train you in prosody (how the Lyric Melody fits the beat and key) and enunciating words while singing notes.

As we approach the Christmas season a list of Christmas Carols comes to mind. Many can be played with simple progressions, and easily sung.

The enunciation practiced in delivering those Songs can improve enunciation on your own Songs. Getting the words from your mouth to listeners’ ears is of strategic importance. It is a ‘communication’. If what you’re sending is not being received, the onus is on the sender to improve the enunciation.

Thanks Gary, appreciate this advice.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM