HOW DEEP IS YOUR LOVE   (Why It Works)

Feb 07, 2019, 05:08 AM

Songwriter101 Powered by BMI
Search

Sometimes all it takes is one poignant line to put everything in perspective.

Back in the 70s the Bee Gees wrote “How Deep Is Your Love” – a really great

song with about as perfect lyric as you can get.

In the middle of that lyric we get this:

‘Cause we’re living in a world of fools

Breaking us down

When they all should let us be…

Up to that point, it was a lyric that said “I love you, and I need to know how

much you love me.” Beautiful imagery, beautiful writing, nothing much unique.

But as soon as we hear about living in a world of fools, we get a new perspective:

everyone thinks their love is wrong somehow. We feel something powerful in those

words. We feel empathy.

The story in “How Deep Is Your Love” is implied, not obvious. It’s that way with

many love songs. But even though the story is implied, it’s there, and it’s important.

For your own song, you have to sort through the emotions and find the story.

Without the story, you’re just pulling your audience along on a disorganized ride.

They need more.

Not forgetting the melody they wrote for this and many other brilliant songs

Peter Kristian Joined Jan 11, 2008
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 07, 2019, 09:02 AM

The Bee Gees wrote a lot of truly great songs. Personally, I found their style of singing them really annoying, but there were great melodies under all the high pitched wailing. They knew how to write a really catchy tune.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 07, 2019, 11:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpqqjU7u5Yc

Note that ‘walking’ tempo, the percussion, the vocal adherence to that tempo, hitting the beat. The Introductory Movement is 17 seconds, just long enough to serve the function.

The Opening Verse is a solo vocal. A single voice tends to engage the listener. It is ‘down’ in the Expositional mode, conversational, simply ‘talking’, telling what the Singer-Character wants to tell ‘you’, the listener, as if you are the Love-Interest Character to whom he will ask the crucial question.

That question, “How Deep Is Your Love”, is probably one none of us have ever asked in those precise words before, but we ‘get’ it immediately.

The line, “And it’s me you need to show” has the effect of ‘lifting’ the emotion, and by pitch, to prepare us to hear the Chorus. The first ‘hit’ on THE Hook is at 49 seconds in. It doesn’t keep us waiting, interminably for the Singer-Character to get to the point.

The segment of the Chorus you speak of, Peter, is an oddity isn’t it? It’s the end of the Chorus. I think the multiple ‘hits’ on THE Hook to open the Chorus serve to drive that home as THE Hook, the point of the Singer-Character’s reason for conversing with the Love-Interest Character in the first place. Then the ‘world of fools’ segment simply sets the ‘us’ and ‘them’ concept. Melodically it takes us back to the next Verse in smooth transition.

The ‘la la’ segment repeats the Chorus Melody. The harmonies sing everything the solo sings, but the solo still stands up front most of the time. The title, THE Hook, is repeated numerous times.

Trying to transcribe the Lyric, I’m not sure I’m getting it right. Count the number of hits on THE Hook. At no time do I have the sense it is too Repetitious. A Song has to have ‘enough’ Repetition to supply Structure listeners can relate to, and ‘enough’ Change to keep it interesting. I think the judgment calls the Songwriter(s) made in “How Deep Is Your Love” were accurate. The ‘enough’ concept is elusive.)

You’re in the lights in the morning sun.
I feel you touch me in the pouring rain,
and the moment that you wander
far from me,
I wanna feel you in my arms again.
And you come to me on a summer breeze,
keep me warm ? in your love ?
?  and the soft ??
And it’s me you need to show!
How Deep Is Your Love?!
How Deep Is Your Love?
How Deep Is Your Love?
I really mean to learn.
‘cause we’re living in a world of fools,
breaking us down, (
when they all should let us be.
We belong to you and me.

I believe in you?
? you know the ?
You’re the light in my deepest darkness.
You’re my savior when I fall? (I’m not understanding the words a lot here.)
And you may not think
that I care for you,
But you know down inside
that I really do. (All these ‘and’ ‘but’ ‘cause’ openers are killin’ me!)
And it’s me you need to show! (And we’re about 1 minute 43 seconds in, and ready to hit THE Hook again.)
How Deep Is Your Love!? (Shouted, with emotional emphasis, Melodic pitch increase!)
(Then, in a lower register, repeated twice, three ‘hits’ on THE Hook per giving of the Chorus, driving it home, making it memorable, likely an ‘ear worm’ that will play in your head after the Song ends.)
How Deep Is Your Love?
How Deep Is Your Love?
I really mean to learn.
breaking us down,
We belong to you and me.

(At 2:10, Some la da, following the ‘world of fools’ Melody, and a turn back to another repeat of the Chorus.
2:27
And you come to me on a summer breeze, (Repeat of Melody, from end of Verse)
? keep me warm ??
And it’s me you need to show,
How Deep Is Your Love?!
How Deep Is Your Love?
How Deep Is Your Love?
I really mean to learn.
breaking us down,
We belong to you and me.
(Some la la’s)(Then, 3:07, a high pitched, sustained note signals Introduction of The Coda, the final Musical Movement, followed by 57 seconds of repeats, driving THE Hook home.)
(Repeat of the lower register hits on THE Hook)
How Deep Is Your Love?
How Deep Is Your Love?
I really mean to learn.
breaking us down,
We belong to you and me. (High pitch, vocalization)
(3:41 more hits on THE Hook)
How Deep Is Your Love?
How Deep Is Your Love?
I really mean to learn.
breaking us down,
when they all should let us be. (3:51 fading)
We belong to you and me.
(3:59)
This Song could have been over quite satisfactorily a full minute earlier, but it succeeds in sustaining entertainment, hook factor, right through the full 3:59.)

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 11, 2019, 08:14 AM
Gavin Sinclair - 07 February 2019 09:02 AM

The Bee Gees wrote a lot of truly great songs. Personally, I found their style of singing them really annoying, but there were great melodies under all the high pitched wailing. They knew how to write a really catchy tune.

That’s purely a personal thing not liking their voices Gavin

I like their vocal style ,  as much as l like -The Beatles -The Kinks Gene Vincent

Dean Martin—Bing Crosby—Michael Buble- Tony Bennett-Lonnie Donegan

Sammy Davis Junior—Guy Mitchel—Hank Williams -  Harry Belafonte -

Belinda Lee -  Bob Dylan -  The Inkspots —Ben E King— Vera Lynne

Dolly Parton—ROY ORBISON -  Ozzy Osbourne -Everly Brothers—Joan Baez

Johnny Ray—Kenny Rogers plus many many more Female Singers

And many other of today’s vocal groups  

In My Lifetime 3 TRULY PHENOMENAL SINGERS Would be Marvin Gaye Freddy Mercury

and Country Singer Patsy Cline

Truly the most brilliant Country / Crossover Singer /Entertainer /Writer Ever would be

Willie Nelson——-What A Talent

I could go on and on including many of today’s singers especially when they

are interested in my Solo Works or Collaborations

Remember The BEE GEES have been voted as the most popular Vocal / Songwriter / Band

of all time.  Outselling any other Band On Earth , in record sales, The world cant be wrong LOL

[ Edited: 11 February 2019 08:53 AM by Peter Kristian]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 12, 2019, 01:35 PM

Peter, you’re right, of course. It’s a personal thing. The fact that I find that style of singing annoying doesn’t mean it’s not popular with others. Obviously a lot of folks liked it. I share your admiration for Patsy Cline and Willie Nelson. Some people’s voices just have a really engaging quality. Nothing to do with hitting the notes or singing in tune or even phrasing. It’s in their vocal chords. It can’t be taught. They’re born with it.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 15, 2019, 06:45 AM

Sinatra was Known for his incredible phrasing , and he like other

top singers of his day like Tony Bennett and Perry Come had the same  

Hit songs in general have phrasing that hits the right spot so to speak

where as mindless repetition is a turn off ; Repetition or Approximate Repetition

are all part of that hit song The art is knowing when you have enough or too much

Very often it is all about the VOICE putting across The Empathy that is written by the

Composers   Sinatra -Nelson and Cline all had that ; 

That ‘s why The Demo has to have the right voice ,  Often the reason many pretty

good songs   get thrown on the waste bin by the people that matter

NOTE

I am not saying you are not aware of these facts,  but its good to remind each other now and then

[ Edited: 15 February 2019 06:48 AM by Peter Kristian]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 22, 2019, 04:26 AM

I believe all the greatest songs are “SUNG”. Meaning, whether you have an unusual voice or not, dynamics is key. You can always tell the difference when music is written for or by a truly dynamic singer!

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 22, 2019, 11:05 AM
JAPOV - 22 February 2019 04:26 AM

I believe all the greatest songs are “SUNG”. Meaning, whether you have an unusual voice or not, dynamics is key. You can always tell the difference when music is written for or by a truly dynamic singer!

Well, that’s a bit of a blow for me LOL. Good to see you back here, old chap!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 22, 2019, 12:37 PM

Ha! Well…. I’m certainly not suggesting that we should quit! :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM