Alert: SW101 will be closing down as of April 1, 2019. Read More.

Apple Garageband & Guitars?

Aug 10, 2004, 10:56 PM

How can I get my strat plugged into Apple Garageband without spending $$$ on a fancy M-Audio interface?

rockon Joined Aug 10, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 01, 2004, 04:55 PM

Hi you can buy this cable from a company called griffon
You would plug the 1/8” mini jack into your input on your Mac and the 1/4” into your guitar. pretty sweet. $24.99

or you could go to RadioSchLack get the ends and make the cable your self lol

Matty Z Joined Jun 11, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 09, 2004, 04:28 AM

I’ve tried plugging in directly and found that the levels are too low.  I would definitely recommend some sort of pre-amp.

David F. Bills
Webmaster @ Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI)
New York, NY USA
http://bmi.com

dfbills Joined Jan 01, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 09, 2004, 03:47 PM

i actually plug directly into my motu 828 with garageband. But then again i spent a couple of bucks for it a few years ago. you could go on ebay and see what preamps people are getting rid of.

I totally didnt think about the levels. David is 100% right. you need the extra boost from a preamp.

Matty Z Joined Jun 11, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 09, 2004, 04:17 PM

That said, if you just want to see what yr guitar will sound like, you can try plugging in directly with a $2.99 1/4” to 1/8” adapter from Radio Shack. 

By increasing gain and so on in the amp models you can get a reasonable sound level, but you’ll introduce a good bit of noise into the mix.

David F. Bills
Webmaster @ Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI)
New York, NY USA
http://bmi.com

dfbills Joined Jan 01, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 13, 2004, 03:15 AM

Cakewalk is exactly the kind of software you need to take advantage of such genius’s I mean think about it 2.99 on an adapter with software that gives you the simplicity and the exact replication of professional studio recordings
without that high dollar figure. The key to a smart bussiness like any real band of musicians already already understands is to cut the cost of over head.
So if one were to have a home studio, I.E. Cakewalk one could afford more leasures and spend less on high paid, corporate appointed, sound engineer’s and tech’s. Cakewalk gives you the flexibility to choose the sound , the venue, or the arena your looking for upfront. Wich means in real dollar figures +++, Think about it, all they’ll have to is mass produce your recordings period! You have complete control over the sound quality and it’s presentation. By the way I am in no part affilliatted nor work for or am gainfully employed by cakewalk or any and all of it’s associate bussinesses. 

Maywood Bedard Joined Aug 31, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2004, 03:06 AM

I have a Griffin iMic and a 1/4” to 1/8” adapter for my electric guitar and bass.  The settings in Garageband seem to be enough for guitars.  I also put in a guitar peddle between the guitar and iMic to create various sounds.

However, I agree that a pre-amp is worth getting for microphones because my vocals are very quiet.  I emailed a company that sells pre-amps and they told me about “Audio buddy.”  It is pretty cheap, small, and perfect for what I need.  Do a search on eBay or google to find it and its prices.

here are a few links the guy sent me.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/AudioBuddy-main.html

http://www.m-audio.com/images/en/callouts/big/audio_buddy.jpg

iBlink Joined Sep 24, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 25, 2004, 03:15 AM

I would like to add that the newer Macs seem to be more user friendly for the musician.  Apple has been venturing into the music biz for some time now (iPod, garageband, Soundtrack, etc.) and the new iMac G5 will sport an audio-in port.  The newer towers do as well.  I know a new computer may not be in the stars for many of us because they cost money, but if you want to cut down on adapters and things, it might be a good solution.

I love Garageband.  Especially because it comes pre-installed when you buy a Mac.  Apple has provided me with an outlet for my musical creativity.  Needless to say I wont be recording into a tape recorder anymore.  :-)

iBlink Joined Sep 24, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM