Alert: SW101 will be closing down as of April 1, 2019. Read More.

ENSONIQ MR76…and homebased studios

Feb 11, 2005, 10:26 PM

I am a 22yr old singer/songwriter…I got an ENSONIQ MR76 when I was 16, and have been using it ever since (it’s time for an upgrade, I think).  I have not recorded, but I write for other people mostly.  I performed live a lot during my 16th - 19th years using the MR76 then kind of drifted away from performing (college and such).  Now, I am wanting to start a home-based studio (for demos etc, nothing fancy) and am thinking of selling the MR76 and upgrading to the equipment I will need (preferrably something PC based).  I know that ENSONIQ is no longer in business, but the keyboard is still great - if I sell it, I’d like to know how much it’s worth now and where perhaps I could sell it.  Also, I am new to the whole home studio equipment thing, have NO idea what equipment I would need for such a feat, so if you reply, please keep it in English (in other words, explain what you’re talking about lol).  I know if it’s PC based, you can get programs so that you don’t have to have live music, but it can all be done on the computer.  Please help!  If anyone has any advice on either of these topics, please let me know.  Thanks!

Jessica Hall Joined Nov 26, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 13, 2005, 08:23 AM

Jessica,

I am not the best person to answer this, but can offer a little bit of info.

Check out Reason (by Propellerhead), it works like real outboard gear but is all software based. You get a mixer, drum machine, synthesizers, and samplers etc. all as rack modules. You bring in the components you need and hook them up as desired. With a basic midi-keyboard you can create a heck of a lot with it. The drum samples are good and there are a lot of them, and the soft-synth and keyboard samples are good too. I use it, but wished I used it more - it, like all software is time consuming and requires a fair bit of learning, and I tend to be more productive with real knobs, sliders and cables. But I am happy with the results. It is relatively inexpensive too. I am not very familiar with the Ensoniq, but I assume it has MIDI, and may be able to get you started.

You will also want a multitrack recorder package as well for having full control when bringing in your analog audio like vocals, guitars, flushing toilets, etc. as well as using your existing keyboard. There are many out there like Protools, Cakewalk, etc. I used to use Digital Performer exclusively and it was great, but have since gotten a stand-alone digital recording system that I can take anywhere and it has replaced my software multi-tracking (back to the knobs and cables thing). However, I am getting back into software recording, and being Mac based I thought I’d try “Garageband” which the name sounds entry-level, but I am told it is actually quite extensive - or at least good enough for what I am doing. I will know soon enough. I hope to use software in conjunction with the outboard digital recorder. I will follow any further posts to this link because I’m interested in what others have to say. You can spend a lot of money on some set-ups, or sometimes, find a package that suits your needs at a lower budget, it depends how “deep” into it you want to get. Anyway.. my two-cents worth.

wes

wes pohl Joined Feb 08, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 03, 2005, 10:44 PM

Jessica,

Keep your MR76.  Get a portable computer and a USB to MIDI interface.
With that setup and the sequencing software of your choice, you can play any song composed on the computer through your MR76.  You can also enter songs from the MR76 to your sequencing software.  Best of all it doesn’t have to be home based because you can take everything on the road if needed.

You’ve already invested the learning hours in the MR76. Don’t under estimate the learning curve or technical problems on new hardware/software combinations.  I’ve played a lot of keyboards and although the MR76 may be showing it’s age, it’s still one of the most productive and logically organized keyboards around.

kerry newcom Joined May 03, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM