Alert: SW101 will be closing down as of April 1, 2019. Read More.

Portable Recording Device?

Apr 01, 2005, 01:16 AM

Hi everyone,

I am constantly coming up with new chord progressions and riffs that may or may not evolve into songs.  I like to capture all these so I can refer back to them.  I used to just use my mp3 player’s recording feature, which was nice because then I could upload the file to my computer and have it saved there.  But that mp3 player broke :(

Because I often have these ideas to record, I don’t want to have to go to my computer, boot everything up, plug in and record - all for a 30 second idea.  I just want a nifty little device that I can set on the table, push play, and do my thing ... then upload it to my computer in mp3 or wav format when I’m done.  I also want it to be portable so I can take it when I travel.

I have searched, but am stunned that someone isn’t making a no-frills, low-end, 2-track, portable digital recorder for songwriters to capture ideas on.  Seems like something like this could retail for under $100 easy if you kept it simple.

Does anyone have any portable device they use to capture ideas.  I wish I was an engineer so I could build one and sell it!

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Chris Russell Joined Jan 17, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 04, 2005, 05:59 AM

I use a fostex mr8…it’s an 8 track…but I use it to capture ideas as well as record rough demo’s….I enjoy it…..I think they are 299.00…maybe a little mroe than you wish to spend for what you want out of it, but to me..it was well worth it.

James Norman Thacker Joined Apr 01, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 22, 2005, 09:30 AM

Chris,
  I was having a problem trying to write while driving. Not a good Idea. I got a pocket voice recorder from Wally World. It works great. $29. Up to 6 hours recording. No tape, its in a chip inside so there are almost no moving parts ( Buttons move). Its a RCA “Digital Voice Recorder” Model RP5012B. Its good for other stuff too, like phone numbers, messages to your self, etc… Check it out and good luck. At least you will have the lyrics and melody for a later serious laydown after reviewing your stuff.
D

Dyson Steel Joined Feb 06, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 26, 2005, 02:51 PM

I also have an mr8- haven’t used it much, but it seems to work well.  -price was right

David F. Bills
Webmaster @ Broadcast Music, Inc. (BMI)
New York, NY USA
http://bmi.com

dfbills Joined Jan 01, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 26, 2005, 04:08 PM

I have a question. Does anyone use machines like Korgd1600 for recording and producing CD’s? Can it be done and the project sounds decent? Would it help if the project is done on Korg D1600 and then taken somewhere else for mastering?

Kevin L. Genous, Sr. Joined Mar 21, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 28, 2005, 04:14 AM

Kevin—-for the $ the Korg’s probably a decent machine, although like most DAWs in this price range you only get 4 XLR inputs—-not very many for a 16-track, but maybe that doesn’t matter to you. As far as mastering goes, as long as your final dub is a two-track .wav, you shouldn’t have any problem (you could also bring the machine to some pro facility and fly the stuff in multitrack straight to their equipment).

Chris—-Regarding your portable digi machine question, have a look at the “Fast Tracks” article in the Tech section, there are a few ideas there, FWIW.

—ds

Dave Simons Joined Apr 28, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

May 07, 2005, 06:49 PM

I use the Digitech GNX 3 for grabbing quick ideas, and I love it. It’s so easy to record, punch in and out, loop,and mix. For guiter players it’s great. I even run my keyboard through it, it has so many amp models you can get any sound you want.

David Ahlberg Joined Apr 03, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

May 08, 2005, 01:03 PM

[ Edited: 14 January 2014 08:06 PM by janine lotho]

janine lotho Joined Mar 12, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM