Alert: SW101 will be closing down as of April 1, 2019. Read More.

Digital Sound Problem

Apr 10, 2005, 05:52 AM

Hey guys,

I’m working with a sound byte in Adobe Audition 1.5. The original version redlines just a bit but it’s not even enough to really notice. However, after I mixed everything and played the new track, it’s redlining EVERYWHERE. I can hear it happening, but it’s not showing up on my meter as doing so.

I’ve ran a ton of filters, amp’d it down and pretty much everything I could think of. I have no idea how to fix it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

stephanie 9 Joined Mar 15, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 10, 2005, 06:45 PM

start over… dont let any “peak” get higher than -6db, mix everything with the volume low… not loud! don’t let anything “red line” [peak] when your mix is satisfying… raise the volume…

Good luck!

Owen Liebich Joined Apr 07, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 10, 2005, 08:51 PM

Thanks Owen. I tried that and it’s still a no go. I’m keeping it around -9. I hear it redline but it’s not doing it on the meter.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 11, 2005, 02:45 PM

Then your original source material, may be badly recorded.. and be no good.. which would mean that you would have to re-record all the parts that you recorded the first time…

and start over again…

The ony other problem I noticed is what you wrote: “The original version redlines just a bit but it’s not even enough to really notice”

A good quality sound byte or sample of any kind “NEVER” peaks above 0dB.. this is a clue that the original may not be of the best quality.. since it is already peaking before you even start..

Once “Digital Distortion” is created, you have a huge problem on your hands which isn’t worth the time to try to fix.. get a better sound byte, and learn to use the program better, so you can avoid any “digital distortion”.

Good luck!

• Rank

Send PM

Apr 11, 2005, 04:52 PM

The original source was sent to me, I didn’t record it myself. When it peaks it doesn’t show up on the meter either but I can hear it. I’m tired of fooling with it so it’s gonna have to say the way it is.

Stephanie

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 11, 2005, 05:10 PM

I’m sorry to hear that, because if you can hear it, anyone else probably can hear it too…  which leads others to think that the job was not of a “professional” nature.

It’s better to put out your best work everytime than to let large or small inconviences allow you to release work that is not up to par…

Your reputation is based on the “Quality” of your work

Just my opinion…

Good Luck!

ozone333 Electronic music
http://www.ozone333.com
http://www.olaudio.com
“The ozone333 Show” Podcast & RSS Feed
http://ozone333.blogspot.com

• Rank

Send PM

Apr 11, 2005, 06:37 PM

I agree. But there’s no way I can get the original re-recorded and sent back to me, especially with the deadline I’m on. So starting over isn’t an option and it’s way too late in the process to find a replacement.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 10, 2005, 10:25 AM

Hi Stephanie,
The reason for the distortion is as follows: whoever sent you the music either had the levels too high during the recording of the tracks, or during mixdown. Unfortunately if you recieved it this way, thats the way it will remain. there is nothing you can do about it. Sorry
Tony Malone

Anthony 19 Joined Jun 10, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM