Alert: SW101 will be closing down as of April 1, 2019. Read More.

Question about Publishing rights

May 05, 2005, 06:53 PM

I’ve been an affiliated writer with BMI for about 6-7years now. Since then I’ve received 2 checks from BMI. (Not much but at least I know the paper work was right.) The last check I received was in 2003. 

Now, I co-wrote a song which seemed to have made its way to a compilation CD overseas. It’s agreed that I would retain all publishing rights.

But the song hasn’t been registered with BMI yet because I’m told when one has his/her own publishing company setup and the other does not or both writers have no company, that BMI automaticlly splits the publishing between the writers if there are two or more writers involved. Is this true? Or can/or should I go ahead and resgister the song myself being that I do have all rights to the song?

Gary B. Perez Joined Dec 03, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

May 05, 2005, 06:57 PM

Aw Man!!! posted in the wrong one but if someone can answer this question then cool.

Gary B. Perez Joined Dec 03, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 01, 2005, 05:06 AM

I’ve not actually done this yet, but couldn’t you publish the song, and split the writers share with your co-writer. That gives you 100% publishing, and 50% (or whatever was agreed upon) as your part of the writers share.

Mike Cousino Joined Mar 29, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM