Alert: SW101 will be closing down as of April 1, 2019. Read More.

Pro Tools perplexed

Jun 04, 2005, 03:06 AM

Hi everyone!

Out of necessity I’ve found myself using Acid 4.0 for all of my edits.  To my surprise it’s proven quite capable.  Being curious about all the buzz concerning Pro-Tools LE, I downloaded a users manual.  Am I missing somethng?  Pardon my ignorance, but what can Pro-Tools LE do that Acid 4.0 can’t ?....

Oliver Haddo Joined Jun 04, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2005, 05:21 PM

Hey Oliver, Dpends on what your recording, and what type of effects you want to use.
I believe Acid is a wav. format, Pro tools will convert digital audio to a number of different formats. This is important when you want to master your product.

Anthony 19 Joined Jun 10, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2005, 03:24 AM

Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your response.

I usually lay basic tracks on a hardware 8track, then upload to my computer.  This works fine for me since I’m usually working alone.  The fx plugin included with Acid is very good.  All the basics - delays, modulation, compressors, pitch shift, as well as some bells and whistles.  Acid is also capable of rendering in different format - aiff, wav, ogg, 24/96, etc..  I can edit at microscopic level, copy, paste, all the usual stuff, plus the looping features are great.  I have recorded Teles, strats, Les Pauls, acoustics and voice directly into Acid with excellent results.  I also have an unlimited amount of tracks to work with ( cpu dependant of course ) as opposed to the 32 afforded by Pro Tools Le.  I can also add the plugins of my choice.  So I suppose I’m back to square one, what so great about Pro Tools LE ?

• Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2005, 05:47 AM

hey Oliver,
Lol, I hear ya buddy, Personally I dont like using a computer for recording.
I went and bought a Korg D-16 with all of the bells and whistles. Works fantastically, and pretty easy to use. It also has a few good Mastering settings on it that I really like to give my music a better polished sound.
I just finished up a tune, if your interested in hearing it here’s the link.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/writePage.cfm?myType=_music&bandid=221581&bandnamesave=tonymalone

Anthony 19 Joined Jun 10, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2005, 03:12 PM

Hey Oliver,

Basically, Pro Tools editing capabilities are just more detailed and overall better. Acid is a very basic program with basic recording, editing, and mixing capabilities. If you’re just doing some home recording or songwriter demos and are comfortable with Acid, then just stick with it. What makes a good recording isn’t always the recording software or equipment, but most of the time the engineer. Let me know if you have any questions about Pro Tools or other recording programs.

-Josh

Josh 14 Joined May 16, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 14, 2005, 09:55 PM

Hi Josh !

Thanks for responding.  Uhm, when you say more detailed and better what’s the criteria?  I’m not shaking a finger at Pro Tools “Le”, I mean, a zillion users can’t all be wrong-LOL.  I’m just asking some sincere questions.  Again, thanks for the info.

-O. H.

• Rank

Send PM

Jun 15, 2005, 12:37 AM

As far as being “more detailed and better,” Pro Tools (LE, HD, Mix24, etc.) is the industry standard in recording. Like many other recording programs, Pro Tools can make digital recording, editing, mixing, and effects processing very easy. Where Pro Tools currently surpasses other programs is it’s ability to cut, splice, paste, duplicate, process, bounce, and convert each individual wave unlike any other. That’s where the recording system gets “more detailed.” The program is also designed by AVID, an audio/visual editing company with an awesome track record and they constantly update their systems to be more “user-friendly.” And as the industry standard in recording, you can find endless Plug-Ins/Effects made by other software companys. I would suggest downloading “Pro Tools Free” on their site at http://www.digidesign.com and try it out. Either way, the site will have some more info for you. A basic Pro Tools base LE system will run about $450.00 give or take. Hope this helps.

-Josh

• Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 18, 2005, 04:02 AM

Hi Josh,

I took your advice and tried the Pro Tools Free, luckily I had another computer running Windows ME.  I did quite a bit of editing on it, copy, paste, trimming, bouncing, FX automating,  etc.. After a couple of days, I ended up chucking it because it kept freezing up on me at the worst times.  I set up the computer according to the instructions, but I suppose Lowly Windows Me was the culprit.  Anyway, I found all the edits I made could also have been done on Acid much easier and faster.  I’m well aware Pro Tools is the industry standard, and the included plug-ins are great, but I’m not as yet willing to part with $450 for features I already have.  Call me stubborn if you like- LOL…

O. H.

• Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2005, 05:53 AM

I used Acidpro when I started…I still love it and use it from time to time…it even helped me win 30,000 dollars from a remix contest…I’m grateful for the program, but it lacks some editing/recording features that protools has and I love to record, and protools makes it much easier than acidpro….AP has great plugins like the reverb and wave hammer…I wish I had it on protools, but protools has some decent plugins too….

AP is way faster if you enjoy pasting loops into the sequencer..not when you’re putting musicianship into your songs….

David Choi Joined Jan 24, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2005, 07:27 AM

Hey everyone,

I just want to remind all of you that no matter what program or recorder you’re using, it comes down to the song and engineer. Whether it’s Acid, Cakewalk, Nuendo, Pro Tools, or whatever, what’s going to make the hit is the song itself and the person working the program. An outstanding and very credited engineer once told me, “it doesn’t matter how good I engineer something or what program I’m using…it comes down to the song.” Just some helpful thoughts.

Josh

• Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2005, 09:05 AM

it doesn’t matter how good I engineer something or what program I’m using…it comes down to the song.” Just some helpful thoughts.

[B]A GOOD SONG…......is the most important thing…...Good advice Josh[/B]

RnBMistress

RnBMistress Joined May 04, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM