Alert: SW101 will be closing down as of April 1, 2019. Read More.

new to songwriting, any suggestions?? please help :)

Oct 13, 2005, 01:25 AM

Hi I am brand new to songwriting, but I have something that I think might make a good chorus, the only problem is I can’t think of some verses to go along with it…. I am wanting it to be a country song that starts out contemporary, but then turns religious, ya know….. Like a girl that has broken a guys heart but he lets her know he won’t leave her, but then turn into something like she realizes how she has let God down and then realizes he’s still here….. Do you think it has any potential???
here’s what I am thinking for the Chorus…

your still here
even though i’ve hurt you so
and many times brought you to tears
your still here

I know it’s not much but hey I’m trying ya know.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks you,
Brytni :)

Brytni Lee Joined Jun 04, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 13, 2005, 01:38 AM

A song is like a piece of you, so when you’re singing a song for some one, you are giving them a piece of you. So no one can tell you what to write, it sounds like you have an idea of what you want so you have to make it happen. No one can give you a piece of you. They can only give you a piece of themself, and then it wouldn’t be your song.

Even if I didn’t feel that way, you are being way too specific for anyone to be able to help.

alayna carol huskisson Joined Jun 18, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 13, 2005, 01:52 AM

thank you for your comment…. you do make a good point. i know i am not gonna give up on it, and i guess i do have a fairly good idea of what i’m looking for, so thanks for the encouragement

• Rank

Send PM

Oct 13, 2005, 05:17 AM

Brytni,

I think it’s great you’ve asked for team work.  A song can be parts of more than one persons thoughs.  As I write I like to create character(s)!  It allows the mind to be well , creative.  Like an author.  So my question from your post is do you want the guy there along with God’s presence?  Or just God’s presence?  And to what extent, depth?

SUSIE

SUSIE Prentice Joined Feb 06, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 13, 2005, 02:05 PM

Hi, Brytni:

Sounds like you have a plan to parallel your relationship with this fella astride with your relationship with God.  You might want to write down your thoughts on how you want this song to flow—- don’t worry about rhyme or metre at first, just get the thoughts out of your head and before your eyes.  Thoughts unravel themselves over the lips and thru the fingertips. 

As your latent storyline becomes fixed before your eyes on paper, you can start to mould them into verse, rhyme, and fit them into a musical context.  Remember: lyrics are not simply poetry put to music!  Music is the vehicle that carries the communication,  which is why lyrics alone can sometimes fall flat.  But when coupled to a melody, they become alive with power.  And understand that any lyrical critique is based upon the reading of it, not the listening thereof (unless the song can be heard!).  Which may or may not hold - such critiques are for the author to weigh and apply as propriety demands. So be careful to balance your story, your lyric and your music . . .  which, admittedly, is a skill that takes time to grow and master - if such a skill can be truly mastered.  This is where we might be of some help.  As alayna has pointed out, it’s a personal process, and who can tell you what is right or wrong? Ultimately your song must pass thru the filter of your own pervue. 

There are certain conventions which songsmiths alternately hold or do not hold rigidly to.  Songs are subjective: nothing is cast in stone.  But some techniques and conventions work better in some cases than others. Much of how you apply these techniques and conventions depend on your personality, your subject and your target audience. ( please identify your audience!  You will never reach everybody.  Don’t even try ;>)

Like any other skill, these techniques, methods, subskills, etc., can help you in the songwriting process.  Again, it is a very personal process.  But the process can be a heckuva lotta fun, and great songs happen along the way!!

Good Providence in all your writing endeavours!

Gary Johanson 1 Joined Aug 23, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 13, 2005, 02:37 PM

Simply put it is to do “brainstroming = writing down thought”. In no particular order.  Although there is nothing mainfested in the relationship with the character an author can sense and develope the character under the surface, yet not having any effect upon another.  (some what)  I see what most people struggle with in writing lyrics is that they can see physical objects but they do not see rhythm, melody, harmony.  So they become concerned about tone of music when a song is, liyics, and then music if written in that order.  Other wise, well its just the opposite, music =somthing you can’t see but have an idea of, then lyrics, however, that is not the idea here for this writing. That is thus far anyway, because that to can change part way through the creative process.  For me lyric writing is rhythm, rhythm to my heart, my soul, my God given Spirit!
Music is music but when I put a lyric to the music or a psalm to the music or music to lyric/psalm it then is created into a song.  Some may even call it a hymn.  (putting on your gurdle,fun)

SUSIE Prentice Joined Feb 06, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 13, 2005, 03:19 PM

thanks Susie and Gary. i am already getting a better idea of how i am wanting it to go… i worked on it last night (some brainstorming) and i think i am changing my direction a little bit. i came up with something more along the lines of a girl who has been shut out by her love, from all his problems, and he basically wanted her to leave so she wrote him a letter basically saying
  I’ll always be here
  there’s nothing you can do
  that could ever make me stop loving you
  through all the trials and tears
  I’ll always be here.

hopefully i wil be able to get some more up on here soon…
thanks again,

• Rank

Send PM