about the money/question fr Nadine

Oct 24, 2004, 06:17 PM

What is a respectable amount to charge for a gig within driving distance
of your home for yourself and say two or three others in your group
to play for two or three hours when you are just starting out.

Theresa Lively
.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

THERESA LIVELY Joined Sep 27, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 26, 2004, 09:04 AM

TWO WORDS:  SUPPLY and DEMAND

JAMES WHELAN Joined Sep 17, 2004
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 28, 2004, 11:50 PM

Theresa:

James is absolutely correct, but I’d like to amplify a bit.

First, the question needs more information to be answered, since it’s an entirely different set of considerations if, say, you’re performing at a wedding or other function or playing at a club.

But the fact that you’re just starting out usually means you should take advantage of any opportunity within reason to get in front of a live audience. You can then leverage that experience into something grander.

Bruce Haring
DIY Convention
[url=http://www.diyconvention.com]http://www.diyconvention.com[/url]

Bruce Haring Joined Sep 17, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 29, 2004, 02:57 PM

Bruce,

I agree to a point but from what I’ve seen, If you keep doing things for nothing
then people seem to loose respect for you, so I guess there is no magic formula.

Theresa Lively

• Rank

Send PM

Oct 29, 2004, 05:31 PM

Theresa:

I’m not advocating doing things for nothing. My note asks for more information and suggests that you try to make it work because of the benefits of performing for anyone when you’re starting out.

People don’t lose respect for artists who do things for nothing (tell that to Springsteen on his current tour with John Kerry!). People lose respect and grow bored with artists who lack talent and imagination and keep playing the same places, never making progress. Big difference.

Again, what kind of gig is it?  Give us some details.  Until you do, James has nailed your key to figuring out a price. In general, supply is high and demand is low for most bands who are starting out…..

Bruce Haring Joined Sep 17, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 01, 2004, 05:46 PM

Bruce,

Your points are well taken. I know there will always be shows we do for no pay, whether it’s just to further our own career or it’s some cause we just have to support. It’s great to have this site to get help and keep motivated. You can spend alot of money and still not get this kind of information.
Where I am at now is I am working on my second cd,  I have the songs ready; trying to pick best musicians for the music and with the money I have, where will I record it, who my helpers are going to be to get my music out there and try to do some public singing besides. This is my PASSION right now and since you bring John Kerry up good luck with your election tomorrow. I hope it is decisive,either for John or George.

Theresa Lively .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Canada

• Rank

Send PM