Nashville Song Service - just another Paramount?

1 of 3

Jul 21, 2005, 11:37 PM

Has anyone had any experience with Nashville Song Service?  I read the advice on this forum regarding Paramount, Hilltop, and Amerecord, and am wondering if NSS needs to be added to the “stay away from” list?

Tanja Groesbeck Joined Jul 21, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 22, 2005, 01:36 AM

I believe you can lump ‘em all together in one big pile - send us you money and make us rich and we will dash your dreams in a heartbeat

Roy Harris Joined Jul 31, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 23, 2005, 06:28 AM

I agree. They all provide the same services and operate in much the same way. I’d stay away just to be on the safe side because the con’s far outweigh the pros on this one.

Stephanie
[url=http://www.goldguitars.tk]http://www.goldguitars.tk[/url]

stephanie 9 Joined Mar 15, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 24, 2005, 02:20 PM

Think of it this way.  The reason we have a hard time making contacts with
people in the music industry is because thay have a lot of people already, so
they can be selective.  These Hilltop types are not selective. Another example
is in the listings in the Songwriter’s Market.  A “record company” says that they release 50 songs a year - 10 CDs, etc, by people you have never heard
of.  How are they able to afford this?  A no brainer.
Another classic is when someone has separate listings as record label, publisher, etc.  The publishing contract reads that they must get a record made within a certain time - a year or so. This is easy for them to do because
their studio is right there, and they have someone ready to pay them to record your song.  All they are doing is using your song as bait to charge
studio time to another wannabe.
    Mike

L. Michael Smith Joined May 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 28, 2005, 06:04 AM

Hi, just call me confused. I have also been offered a publishing contract with NashvilleSong Service to have a demo made( for a price )which sounds better than having my lyrics just sitting in my computer. I"m not a musician so they would wrtie the music and ownership of the song would be 50/50. Can someone please tell me if they have had any dealings such as this and how it turned out, thanks to anyone for your time, your comments would be appreciated.

E .Bourke Joined Jul 27, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 28, 2005, 02:32 PM

Hey! Guys, a friend of mine sent in a song I wrote to HILLTOP RECORDS. THIS WAS THE DEAL:

1. THE MANUFACTURER AGREES TO HOLD A SCREENING TO HELP DETERMINE COMPOSITIONS INCLUSION IN A COMPACT DISC.

2. THE MANUFACTURER AGREES THAT IF AFTER THE SCREENING, THE DETERMINATION IS TO INCLUDE THE COMPOSITION IN A CD ALBUM. THE MANUFACTURER WILL HOLD A MASTER RECORDING SESSION AND PAY FOR ALL ADDITIONAL EXPENSES OF RECORDING BLA, BLA, BLA. NOW THE GOOD PART.

10. WRITER AGREES TO PAY FOR THE SCREENING AT THE RATE OF $425.00. THIS COST MAY BE PAID IN FULL, OR $65.00 DOWN AND THE BALANCE IN 6 PAYMENTS OF $60.00 WITH NO FINANCE CHARGE OR INTEREST ON FEFERRED PAYMENTS IF WRITER ELECTS THE PAYMENT PLAN, PAYMENTS ARE TO BE MADE IN CONSECUTIVE MONTHLY INSTALLMENTS. FAILUR TO MAKE TWO OR MORE PAYMENTSWILL PLACE THE WRITER IN DEFAULT AND THIS CONTRACT WILL BE SUBJECT TO CANCELLATION. A$10 FEE WILL BE ASSESSED ON PAYMTNES 14 DAYS PAST DUE. OH! YEAH! A $20.00 FEE WILL BE CHARGED FOR RETURNED CHECKS.

11. IF THE COMPOSITION CD IS APPROVED ANY BALANCE DUE FOR THE SCREENING WILL BE PAID BEFORE THE MASTER RECORDING SESSION IS HELD. AND FAILURE TO PAY THE BALANCE WILL NOT ENTITLE THE WRITER TO A REFUND OF ANY MONIES PAID.

WHAT IS THIS PAYING FOR SCREENING CRAP????
HEY! BRETT WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THIS?
REGINA

REGINA LYNN WASHINGTON Joined Mar 22, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 28, 2005, 02:40 PM

Hi E. Bourke,
  If they have asked for money and you go ahead with the deal you will be sent a CD with your words to their music and you will notice that the song does not have a definite ending - it just fades out. This is because they already have 10 -20 different recordings of the same few melodies and when you send your lyrics all they do is pick a song form that they can put your words to.  These recordings are long enough that they can be used for any length of poem. They use these same melodies for hundreds of songs.  Guess how many people think they have the copyright to the same melody? There are people in on-line forums like this one who are looking for words to put music to. Don’t pay anyone!!!!
    Mike

L. Michael Smith Joined May 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 28, 2005, 03:58 PM

Go to the feature at the top of this page and click on “Articles” and find the one called Beware The Song Shark.  Read that article and all the comments following it and I believe all your questions will be answered concerning companies such as Hilltop, Amerirecord, Paramount and Nashville Song Service.  Not to be flippant, but all of these questions have been answered many times in many different places on the forum

Roy Harris Joined Jul 31, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 29, 2005, 05:16 AM

Thanks for the comments, Mike and Roy, very helpful, I only found this site yesterday so have not read any other comments about this subject on the forum. I’ll keep a very open mind after reading your comments and the artice which was very informative,Thx again

• Rank

Send PM

Jul 29, 2005, 05:25 AM

article* my apologies :)

• Rank

Send PM

Aug 10, 2005, 09:56 PM

THOSE GUYS ARE SAM ARTISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I promise you, you want nothing to do with them.

If a publisher is that excited for one of your songs, they will beat your door down to find you.

Just notice howthe website for Nashville Song Service is selling themselves.

Compare them to Sony/ATV’s website, Big Yellow Dog’s website, Jody WIlliams Music website. Notice how these sites tout success, or promote what they are doing like what cut’s their writers are getting, or what hit they have on the charts right now, or whatever. They do not sell any service to you. They do not invite you to come have your demo done for a small fee…legitimate publishers do not do that stuff.

dreca phila Joined Jun 29, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 09, 2005, 04:33 PM

I submitted songs to Paramount and Unique and guess what: My songs were excellent but I guess my singing was awful because they wanted to make professional demos and of course charge me quite a fee.  In reality, at that time, my songs were not that good.  Needless to say, I was advised to stay away from them and save my money.  Glad I listened.

Bill Sharp Joined Sep 08, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 13, 2005, 06:13 PM

Wow, I was just about to send some songs to Paramount for a free critique. I sort of smelled a rat…I figured that if they started asking me for money that it would be a scam. A girl I know went to one of these places and spent a ton of money…and her demo was not as good as my home recordings!

Mark Timothy Kozik Joined Sep 06, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 15, 2012, 08:02 PM

I see these are posts that date way back, A few back, I think maybe back in 08 I sent some stuff off to Paramount. Of course there was at least one they loved wanted a contract and money for a demo.  I recently won the Lyrical challenge contest that hit the 101 board back in May of this year. It was there first run with the contest and it is intended to bring lyricist together with bands. In the all bands that enter are to put their musical version to my winning lyrics, which then the challenge team chooses what they feel to be the best, I think up to ten depending on the amount of entries and they will be posted on their site for voting. it’s all for fun but will give you some contact with bands looking for lyrics. Well they site has gone through some problems and changes and I have recently been e mailed from them telling me the contest will be back on track soon. The videos for my lyrics should have been posted and voted on back in August and here it is November. Anyway that was my first ever attempt to enter a contest and I was thrilled to win. I got on line looking for more contests and I found the NSS I submitted my three entries and not even 24 hours later they e mailed me back stating they loved my lyric My GPS . it’s posted here on 101 if anyone wants to take a look. However I thought this was a contest and now they are asking for money and contract deals etc. The posts I’m looking at here are dated back to 05. Has anything changed since then? does anyone have anything good to say about any of these or are they still all getting by with a scam?

Any comments would be a help please!
Thanks
Bill Kahney

Bill Kahney Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 29, 2012, 01:24 PM

They still do it Bill.

They walk a dodgy line and don’t promise anything, in reality no one would have

anything to do with them from the Proper Music Industry.

How anyone could fall for their patter is beyond me,  It just reads SCAM .SCAM.  SCAM.

There are others who promise to put great music to your lyrics,  and the song will be

published by A friend who is a Top Publisher,  SCAM, SCAM.

One of the people who has replied to you (here)is falling for that one at this time

Ii wont mention his name .

You don’t get anywhere in the songwriting game unless you are prepared to study

today’s Hits,  YES you can learn from some of the Great Composers of the past.

The truth is nothing great can come from your Pen , or Musical Knowledge

(Via and Instrument)  unless it has been planted there in your past.

Re Write Re Write Re Write,  and don’t listen to critiques that say your work is Great ,

unless the person has proved themselves in the industry.    They are still learning

so how would they know.

Amateurs Play at it Professionals work at it

[ Edited: 29 December 2012 01:27 PM by Lonnie Van Tweedle]

Lonnie Van Tweedle Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 14, 2013, 01:50 AM

Hi Tanja,
you have to watch and listen, anything that sounds like a sales pitch, or too good to be true is possible to be not a real ethical business.  if you wonder, ask for names of former clients, or cuts they’ve gotten from the demos/masters.  there are many good quality places in nashville you can trust, among them county q, gary earl productions, kim copeland productions, larry beards (spelling?), azailia studios, and many more.  check out the demos you hear on the sites, and compare them with the radio quality, ask for names of clients you can talk to, etc.  anyone that promises you anything other than a good quality sound is probably a scam.  when anyone says that ‘all the radio stations will hear your song”, that’s a scam, they’ll mail a CD but no one will ever listen to it.  etc.

rex williams Joined Feb 14, 2013
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 3