How does music producers usually get paid vs song writers

Sep 02, 2005, 12:50 PM

If I write a song with lyrics and a melody, and then bring it to a music producers to put the accompanying music, or track to it, am I still the song writer, or do I spilt those rights with the producer.  And with a publishing companying like BMI, how does each side get paid. Or is it considered one in the same?

Lorna Lawson Joined Sep 01, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 17, 2005, 01:35 AM

LORNA SAYS: If I write a song with lyrics and a melody, and then bring it to a music producers to put the accompanying music, or track to it, am I still the song writer,

The answer is YES! you are the songwriter & co-producer.

LORNA SAYS: do I spilt those rights with the producer.

The answer again is YES!

All the person is doing is copying off of what he hears from your melody. He may add a little bit of his own flavor to what is already a complete song. You are the writer and would get 100% writers royalty. You are the co-producer in the matter

LORNA SAYS: And with a publishing companying like BMI, how does each side get paid. Or is it considered one in the same?

[B]BMI is not a publishing company. But music publishers are affiliates with BMI, and so are songwriters. BMI is a performance right organization that collects royalties for publishers & songwriters. BMI pays the publisher their royalties, and they pay the songwriter for writers royalties. The publisher in return pays the writer a share of the publishers royalties ONLY if there was a deal negotiate between the songwriter & publisher.

I hope I was able to clear this up for you. Here’s wishing you musical success to you Lorna! Take care.

EACH ONE THAT TEACH ONE
http://groups.msn.com]thisbusinessofmusic

http://www.soundclick.com]RnBMistress

RnBMistress Joined May 04, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 17, 2005, 01:52 AM

“If I write a song with lyrics and a melody, and then bring it to a music producers to put the accompanying music, or track to it, am I still the song writer, or do I spilt those rights with the producer.  And with a publishing companying like BMI, how does each side get paid. Or is it considered one in the same? “

It really depends….you should be clear that the songs are 100 percent yours when you have someone produce it. I know some producers who take a part of the writer’s share because they produce the song and don’t charge. I personally don’t believe a producer should get writer’s credits, but it depends on the situation. Everyone’s different…..

David Choi Joined Jan 24, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 21, 2005, 02:30 PM

“If I write a song with lyrics and a melody, and then bring it to a music producers to put the accompanying music, or track to it, am I still the song writer, or do I spilt those rights with the producer.  And with a publishing companying like BMI, how does each side get paid. Or is it considered one in the same? ”

It really depends….you should be clear that the songs are 100 percent yours when you have someone produce it. I know some producers who take a part of the writer’s share because they produce the song and don’t charge. I personally don’t believe a producer should get writer’s credits, but it depends on the situation. Everyone’s different..?

David,

Question..

I have a friend who writes, produces and arranges their own songs, (all songs are copywritten by them). He’s getting ready to collaborate with someone on music, for two tracks. I have advised him to get an understanding, that the person is entitled to 50% of the production.. and doesn’t own say 10%..20% of the overall song.

And that the SR forms should reflect him as (lyrics and music).. and that person as (music).

They’re relatively new to the game. I’ve also advised them to read up on the music biz… and to check this site out. Cause I’ve gotten alot of helpful things.

Peace…

ShaVonne 1 Joined Jun 07, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 21, 2005, 06:09 PM

lockergirl, I’m not sure what your question is….

David Choi Joined Jan 24, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM