Any body heard of or dealt with Hill Top Records in Hollywood?

1 of 2

Feb 11, 2009, 08:53 PM

I just got a letter in the mail today from Hill Top Records in Hollywood, stating that they want to me to submit some material for some ‘special new music project’. No money is requested in the letter, just a request for material. But my gut is telling me its probably just another one of those scams where after you send the material they hit you up for money to produce your songs. Anyways if anyone else out there has gotten a letter or had any dealings with these guys I would appreciate in info you may have. This is the link to there website incase anyone wants to check it out for themselves. Thanks

[url=http://hilltoprecords.com]

Cameron Channell Joined Mar 11, 2008
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 11, 2009, 11:42 PM

Let me use my psychic powers.

I’m getting a vibration…that…someone…Chandler…no, no, Cameron, it’s you! You just submitted something to the copyright office, because you believe in your work enough to protect its value so you control the ‘right’ to ‘copy’ it.

Am I right so far?

And Hilltop, being psychic too, sent you a letter.

They contact everybody who registers a copyright, to see if, since you believe in your work enough to copyright it, and go to that trouble and expense, maybe you’ll spend a little more with them.

Another letter-sender is Amerecord or Americord.  It doesn’t mean they’ve heard your work, or read it, and think it is appropriate for their ‘special new music project.’ They’re just phishing for enough believers to make a living for themselves.

If you’ve never done much correspondence with companies you may want to explore it further to see what you can learn. Since your works are registered for copyright, you’re fairly safe.

All the links at the top of the page are worth exploring. The BOOKS link can give you titles you may want to study to learn how the biz works. Your library can get any book. And [url=http://www.amazon.com]http://www.amazon.com[/url] has good prices if you find some you need to own.
[url=http://www.garyeandrews.com]http://www.garyeandrews.com[/url]

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 13, 2009, 09:28 PM

Too psychic? Sorry. I’ve got ESPN.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 13, 2009, 10:39 PM

Scam artists.  Anyone who’s registered a song with the LoC gets a letter.  They’ve never heard your song.

Hummingbird Joined Jan 07, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 10, 2009, 08:15 PM

Cameron,

Hilltop is a scam. Throw their letter away.

Sylvia Semel Joined Mar 07, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 10, 2009, 08:45 PM

scam.  Americord too.

Hummingbird Joined Jan 07, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 09, 2009, 01:44 PM

Yes Cameron;I have correspondence with Hilltop Records.It is an epiphany to
relate a song that has attuned with HillTop Records in Hollywood.The pr is alright with a complilation cd that includes twenty some other songwriters guesting equal share on the “Best of HillTop Records” recording .The song of mine “Your Love Is Good” was recorded in the fall of 1999 and released in the spring of 2000.Follow-up correspondence is an “Ongoing Endeavor” (Which is an instrumental song I had copywritten soon afterward to relate
the consideration of an amiable song that was written during some adjusting
times that I was experiencing in the eighties.As for the $440.00 sent for a recording at HilltTop Records the correspondence has been a learning
experience to share.Since the mobile music industry is now prevelent,
there are some pros and con about whether I would do it again.If it was known beforehand that there would be twenty some other songwriters included.I would asked for some other options.Being an ascap member
and the song copywritten, a&r expresses the familarity with
HillTop Records.

Johnnie Davis Joined Jan 22, 2009
  • Rank

Send PM

May 14, 2009, 06:12 PM

Hi Cameron.

If it helps you, I will share my experience I had with Hilltoprecords with you.

1-I registered a song with copyright
2- got a letter from Hilltoprecordsstating that they were interested in my songs.
3-I sent them two of my songs
4-They responded stating that my songs were considered for a “screening process “and that if the songs passed the screening, they would be considered for a CD compilation. The cost would be $ 425,00 per song; this charge would cover the cost involved during the screening. If the songs did not pass the screening, my money would be refunded. If the screening were passed, they would keep the money to cover the expenses during the screening. I signed the screening “test ” sent them the money order for the two songs and waited.
5-a week later they sent me a letter stating ” congratulations ” your songs passed the screening process, they will be included in two compilation CD’s.
6-They kept me informed as how the process was with the recording of my songs. When the cd was a bout being completed , they sent me a form asking me to provide the with local radio satations and local stores were they could posibly sell the cd .
7-They sent me my first copy of the CD with one of my songs in it. They were 27 songs in it. All songs were acceptable.
7- I got a copy of the second CD with my other song in it. They were 28 songs in it. All songs were acceptable.
8-I Just got my fist royalty check last week for the exorbitant quantity of
$ Eleven dollars and twenty-two cents.

Conclusion.

Hilltop Records is in the business of recruiting innocent songwriters to charge them $ 425-475 per song. Do the math , 28 songs in a cd , they charge an average of $ 430 per song . that is about ten thousand dollars they get per cd .

They are selling us just an illusion. They are really not in business to make us famous; they are in business to take advantage of our dreams. When I signed the contract, I was aware of the risk because I consulted this forum but I went ahead and kept going because I wanted to put music on my songs, that I achieved. But if you are trying to put your door on the music industry using a company like Hilltop Records, you are wrong ...

I hope my experience helps you to understand the mechanic of business like Hilltop records….

Andy Garcia Joined Apr 22, 2008
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 14, 2009, 06:19 PM

I forgot to mention they have no real mailing address. I went to the place listed on their mail information and it is a building own by some one else. I asked the present person about Hill top Records and their answer was ” this is just their mailing adress “.
I sent Hilltop records a letter asking them about this discrepancy. They responded nicely explaining that because of the nature of their business, they just want to prevent songwriters from stooping by and distracting the artist while recording the songs. They also stated that the studio they use is extremely expensive and any distractions cost them money.

Any way, I just thought it would be helpful to add this fact on to the description.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 15, 2009, 05:54 PM

Hi Andy:It’s phenomenal that your songs render some royalties from hilltop records with cd sales.The featured artist that made the recording “Your Love Is Good” on track #14 on the Best of Hilltop Records,the first 100 cds have yet to be sold.On the song “Your Love Is Good” the phrase good fashion music instead of old (ole)fashion music was preferred (the written arrangement I’m considering purchasing).The music arrangement is nice and I can picture it in some movie scene instrumentally or with the vocals.Pump Audio and broadjam I m interested in,but the song presently is on hold with Pump Audio.Should Pump Audio correspond a positive response,the networking could compliment the familarity.I hope that the workings with hilltop Records is helpful with you Cameron. Andy’s return has at least some incentives of nurturing a song.

• Rank

Send PM

May 15, 2009, 11:09 PM

Hi Johnny.

I am glad to hear that you also have some thing going on. I had heard horrible things of Hilltop records and was reluctant to use the. At the end, I got good musical arrangements and the CD’s were my song appeared were presentable. I guess the only thing songwriters like us have to understand is that companies like Hilltop Records will never make us famous nor rich. , But they definitely do great job with the musical part of our songs. It is up to us if we want to see this company as a record label or as musical arrangers for our songs. The instruments they use are real and the quality of the work is acceptable. I am not promoting them nor defending them. It is just a matter of how we want to see it. Sometimes we all have to take risks in order to learn and that is what I did , now I now one more thing I did not know .

Does it makes sense ?

Here is an example of what they did to one of my songs.

://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeHqbyx2_fI

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 15, 2009, 11:20 PM

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeHqbyx2_fI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeHqbyx2_fI[/url]

I’m wondering what rights you signed over to them as part of the deal.

Did you sign over a percentage of your Publishing Royalties?

Other rights?

[url=http://www.garyeandrews.com]http://www.garyeandrews.com[/url]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 16, 2009, 03:37 AM

Hi Gary.

No, The contract I signed with them states that I own the music and the song 100 % .
I can also publish the song with whom ever I want any time I want it . Their contract is very simple . I am the owner of all aspects of the song . It is clear that the only thing they are after of is the $ 440 dollars they charge for what they call ” screening test ” . However ,  I was pleased with their work . The song may not be the best of the world but it was nice to see my first English version in an album . If it does not sell , ho well , it was something I paid for as a personal gift to myself . That is the way I see it . By The way , they did two songs for me . The other song is a Christmas song ..

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 10, 2009, 11:41 PM

I get a letter from Hilltop every time I register a copyright. Part of what turned me off was how they expect to market a compilation of dozens of unknown artists. I know I wouldn’t by it.

Andy, don’t feel to bad. I don’t think there are many of us who haven’t spent many on a risk that didn’t pan out including myself. I spent good money joining an internet song submission company I now think is a scam. I’m not out the kind of money you are, but unfortunately there are people out there who prey on our dreams.

Andrea D. Thomas Joined Sep 22, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2009, 11:18 AM

Since Hilltop Records my attention has been with having the song registered
with ascap’s title registration for future projects that are encouraging as well as rewarding.Sound Exchange recognizes the familiarity and campaigns in
behalf of copyright owners with similar interest in internet song submission companies.I suggest Sound Exchange.com for submitted songs that are
copywritten songs and registered.Networking music is assuring with
the future of music.Some of Hilltop songwriters have begun recieving royalty
checks.Hopefully soon the compilation albums bring good news from the
executive director.

• Rank

Send PM

Aug 31, 2009, 11:03 PM

As soon as my copyright was processed I received a letter from Hilltop. I sent 4 songs with a cover letter that said ” If you want any fees for processing or in any way promoting my songs you are wasting your time” I still received the “screening” letter with contract.  $400? I don’t think so. I think this is a scam. I’m new here but like what I see so far.           

myspace.com/craigmellgren

Craig Mellgren Joined Aug 31, 2009
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2