Any body heard of or dealt with Hill Top Records in Hollywood?

2 of 2

Nov 20, 2009, 06:20 PM

Content with having a song entitled “Your Love Is Good” track # 14 on the
“THE BEST OF HILLTOP”, a response letter of distributions from HillTop Records mentions how and where the cd would be shipped.The compact disc album edition was shipped to targeted stores and radio stations all across the country,including Alabama,Arizona, Arkansas,California,Florida,Georgia,Kentucky,Mississippi,Missouri,New York, North Carolina,Tennessee,Texas and Wisconsin to name only a few in the various regions.‘It all begins with a song for networking.Nashville songwriters
association International have workshops for songwriters that I attended
and affiliate.

Johnnie Davis Joined Jan 22, 2009
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2009, 07:16 PM

And how much money did you, the songwriter make?  I mean, you recorded & produced the song, and paid Hilltop $400 for the priviledge of having one song on a disc.  Have you checked those stores and seen the CD there?  How many have been sold?  Did you make your $400, plus the cost of recording/producing the master?

Hummingbird Joined Jan 07, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2009, 11:44 PM

What I don’t get is that no one has mention how wrong it is for the copyright office to sell our information. And you better believe that they are not giving it away for free!!!
It’s bad enough that they keep raising the cost, but to make money through the back door too….

Colonel Robert Morris Joined Oct 05, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 16, 2009, 03:05 AM

I am a Spanish writer and after registered my songs with copyright, I received a letter from HillTop records and paid $399.00 for the scrinning, they said my song passed the scrinning and it will be included in a CD named America. They asked for another songs but I am afraid to send $399.00, I’ m
going to wait to see what will happen with my song. I would like to know where I can send my compositions .they are in Spanish languge.

Jordan-Cruz Joined Dec 15, 2009
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 16, 2009, 10:48 PM

Familiarize yourself with some internet radio stations.

• Rank

Send PM

Dec 17, 2009, 01:58 AM

Jordan, don’t fall for it, it’s a scam.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 17, 2009, 08:38 PM

To some Hilltop Record is a scam.However, being an artist and repertoire musician, to me the song is with comparison compliments
musicians and songwriting.To me the song is with style and the arrangement becomes a perspective tenacity.That’s shared for others to
begin with or contribute in the music Internet,wireless industry.

• Rank

Send PM

Dec 17, 2009, 10:28 PM

And how much money did you, the songwriter make?  I mean, you recorded & produced the song, and paid Hilltop $400 for the priviledge of having one song on a disc.  Have you checked those stores and seen the CD there?  How many have been sold?  Did you make your $400, plus the cost of recording/producing the master?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 19, 2010, 03:53 PM

A song recorded at HillTop Records and on hold with Pump Audio is an interest with NERL (Non-Exclusive Retitiling Library).
        The “Your Love Is Good” song recorded on track #14 on The Best of HillTop Records album has non-exclusive retitiling
        license with Contemporary Composers Index considered with uncertainty.
        My confidence with Pump Audio remains encouraging even though the Getty Images acquisition in June 2007 was
        acknowledging, made the recording at HillTop and submitted to Pump Audo interesting with more chances with potential
        placements. 
        Obliged Courtesy with Music Industry Newswire Thursday July 8,2010 “A Music Library Wants Your Song” by Scott G The
        G-Man.The explanation of the practice of non-exclusive retitiling was made very well with Ron Mendelsohn president of
        Megatrax,Randy Wachtler,president of 615 music,Attorney Cheryl Hudson,Adam Taylor,president of APM,Catherine Farley,
        Director of Music Licensing for Disney ABC Television Group and Keatly Halderman,CEO of pig Factory.
        ASCAP Daily Brief is informative and a helpful resource for songwriters with familiarity and contentment.The article may
        relate with someone’s prospects as a songwriter.

[ Edited: 19 July 2010 04:01 PM by Johnnie Davis]

• Rank

Send PM

Feb 12, 2011, 12:07 AM

I’m just wondering this: how does Hilltop get the information from the copyright office? They contacted me a few years ago, and I ignored them.

Syliva

Sylvia Semel Joined Mar 07, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 12, 2011, 12:27 PM

I imagine copyright registrations are what, in legal parlance, are called ‘a matter of public record’, meaning they are available to anyone.

In the internet age that public record has become even more available.

If you go to http://www.copyright.gov and put in any of our names, if we have a registration there, the data will come up.

People with computer skills can program one to collect this data as soon as it comes online, automatically generate the letters to the new copyright registrants, and correspond with the ones who take the bait.

I got one letter the same day my registration came back. That’s efficiency. They must be making a nice living preying on those who don’t have the experience to know it has nothing to do with them or their musical works. It is only a predation on the belief of the registrant, as demonstrated by their investment of time and money in registering, and their naivete’ in thinking their big break could just come in the mail like that.

Nowadays they phish on MySpace and FaceBook and other online sources of data on ‘believers’ too. One proof of the ‘automated’ nature of their mode of operation is people who get emails or letters from the scammers saying they heard their music on a website and want to do business with them, even though the person does not have music on the site in question.

Politicians and fundraisers have had computer systems like this for years. They contact little old ladies and men with a letter from some noble-sounding organization, saying, “We have to stop the godless communists” or any other easy target. If the recipient responds with a donation, that computer system generates another letter from another noble-sounding organization saying the same thing, or citing some other ‘good cause’ they think that donor will also go for. The more it works the more they prey on that person, and even sell their name to other predators.

All the links at the top of this page (or bottom) are worth exploring. You must educate yourself about how commerce in intellectual property really works, to protect yourself from scammers, and work with those people in the entities where that commerce really works. There’s no substitute, no cheat sheet, no easy A, no magic. There’s study, work, and persistence, just like in any other commercial endeavor.

And even when you get educated and do the work there will be predators all along the way trying to feed off your belief in your work, trying to siphon off a little of your money for themselves. When you’ve done your homework you can run your ‘company’ with a greater probability of not getting robbed. You showed good business sense when you registered your work. Don’t let it stop there. Study. Invest yourself in knowing how to take your art to market without predators taking advantage of you.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

2 of 2