how do i become a songwriter for someone famous

May 30, 2005, 06:38 PM

hi,i am 12 years old and would like to know how to become a good song writer i know a good song that i have written in the last past month.(it’s not the one i put on here that one’s bad)i just can’t figure out what i have to do to get it published so i can hear it by someone that can sing real good and that is famous.i want to write a whole cd but i don’t know how.if any one can help i would apreciate it.

thanks
                          hayley timmons

hayley timmons Joined May 29, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 30, 2005, 07:51 PM

Someone told me this a long time ago and the more I worked on my songs the more I found it was true - you can’t ‘learn’ how to write good songs, its just something that has to be in you. As you have different experiences and things in life you’ll find more to write about and you’ll grow as an artist.

Lisa 10 Joined May 29, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

May 30, 2005, 08:04 PM

THANKS FOR THAT TIP I’LL KEEP THAT IN MIND

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 30, 2005, 11:26 PM

Hayley:
  When I was a couple of years older than you (many, many years ago) my girlfriend’s family moved about 2,000 miles away from where I was living. So, being a musician in a band, I wrote 6 or so songs about how I was feeling (not that good) and recorded them on a reel to reel tape deck my Father had. Maybe, you can record the songs yourself and see if any of your musician friends/classmates would be willing to help you.

Steve West

Steve West Joined May 06, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

May 31, 2005, 01:20 PM

can’t i don’t have any thing to record them on and i can’t sing at all

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 31, 2005, 11:22 PM

Hayley,

Unfortunately honey there is NO way of simply becoming a writer for someone famous. (Unless you by chance know someone in the higher archy of the business…which none of us do..lol). You must first get your material under copyright..(some publishers will do it for you, but I prefer to do it myself and leave nothing to chance). Then when you have them secured under a copyright, you must then begin the long tedious process of finding a publisher (basically begging them to take you on…lol). DO NOT pay anyone to publish your songs or to do anything..if they ask you for money, tell them what to do with their company! A reputable publisher or anyone for that matter, will assume all responsibilities for costs if they like your songs..Then, “IF” the publisher sees anything in your music and likes any of it, they will begin to “shop” your songs to artists, A&R people and execs..and “IF” you are extremely lucky, just MAYBE a famous person will hear it and record it. But honey, usually it’s just a newcomer who no one has ever heard of before. I am 42 years old and have performed and written for over 20 years…it’s a headache and the majority of the time it’s a HEARTACHE. But you never know until you try..:)
Good luck sugar and I wish you well!

John

Big John Hoskins Joined Jan 22, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 31, 2005, 11:51 PM

Hayley,

I like your ambition for someone 12 years old. If you write a song, and later you decide it’s no good, don’t throw it away. Good songs come from emotional ideas, but there are techniques to writing the songs, and very rarely does someone nail it on the first try. RE-WRITE it, section by section, and keep developing it. At a minimum, you will develop your writing skills. Some writers that I know write everyday, but they don’t really sit down to try to write a whole song, they’ll write a part of the song, or spend time developing phrases, developing words that rhyme, etc.

Pay attention is school, English and Language classes are keys to developing as a writer. You can also develop your voice. Lots of the best singer/songwriters are not the greatest singers, but they’re the best singers for their songs! (Willie Nelson? Sting?, Johnny Cash!)

good luck to you!

Mike Cousino Joined Mar 28, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 01, 2005, 01:30 AM

Hayley
I know U are only 12, but seem like U have the ambition and desires to
succeed!! The music business is really 10% music and 90% business. So to answer your questions.
#1.copyrioght all of your material first.
#2.if U really belive in your songs (hire an indepedent prods co. or a local
band to play and record your songs, this is really cost effective.
#3. go online and type in publishing companies in what area U would like to have your material shopped, after U get a list of companies contact them to see if they are interested in picking up new indie songwriters.
#4. join BMI/ASCAP, they put on showcases for new songwriters all the time
I hope thie has help U a little bit.  peace,  Platt

ps. check out a hit song that U like, then study the structure of it, this can help U tremendously!!!

Platt Joined May 20, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 01, 2005, 01:47 PM

thank you guys i really thank you for all your information and i think that all the people who have answered my questions are really nice thank you i will keep all this in mind

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 03, 2005, 08:09 AM

I just wanted to say I’m reallly impressed that at the age of 12 you are already working on your career. I think that is truly amazing and I wish you the best of luck, Hayley =)

Urban Diva Joined May 17, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM