How do I get my songs to artists?

1 of 2

Jun 21, 2006, 05:27 PM

Hello. I am new to this group and I did a search on song plugging, but nothing much came up. I am trying to figure out how to get my music to artists to record. We have a contract with Bug Music and I thought this was one thing they were supposed to do, but after about 8 months with them, nothing has happened. I’ve heard about, but haven’t seen the magazine Song Plugger, which I believe has listings of artists, their management, publishers, etc. My understanding is that it’s costly to have subscriptions to these types of magazines and does anyone really get songs placed this way? Does anyone know the “secret” or have any advice? Thanks.

Toby St. John Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 24, 2006, 05:56 PM

Recently found out about Paramount Song.  Have not submitted anything as yet, but am considering sending a few items to them.

Take a look as their site, Paramount Song

There is a link to get info about submitting song lyrics only or complete songs with lyrics, chords, etc.

Jim Panos Joined Jun 24, 2006
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 24, 2006, 06:06 PM

Just checked out the posting, Paramount Music Group.  From what is said, don’t waste your time with this outfit!

• Rank

Send PM

Jun 24, 2006, 06:12 PM

Thanks, but what had you change your mind about them?

• Rank

Send PM

Jun 24, 2006, 08:54 PM

Paramount is very well-known…. and not recommended by any educated songwriter. 

The best resource I know is the Songwriter’s Market if you want to access the music market.  Some folks use tip sheets like Songlink International and Taxi.  You have to research the market and try to figure out who to approach, and give them just what they’re looking for (hit songs).  There are music publishers who pitch your work and anywhere from 50% to 100% of the publishing for that service.  Songwriter’s Market also has some good articles on how to pitch and who to pitch to.  Another good resource for understanding the music industry is “The Craft & The Business of Songwriting” by John Braheny.

Songwriters really have to educate themselves on what sharks and scammers do & be very cautious.  There’s a great thread on JPF right now about this…. check it out:
http://www.justplainfolks.org/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002521.html

cheers
Vikki

Hummingbird Joined Jan 07, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 24, 2006, 09:50 PM

Buy a subscription to “Music Row,” and especially focus on the “In Charge” and “Artist Roster Report” issues. Everything you want is there—but it ain’t cheap.

http://www.myspace.com/agiftedidiot
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?ref=profile&id=715116455
http://www.soundclick.com/jdstenzelandcowriters

http://hooliganblogs.blogspot.com/

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

http://www.twitter.com/lyricsbyjd
ASCAP

Humilis humilibus Inflectens Arrogantibus
(Humble to the humble, inflexible to the arrogant)

JD Stenzel Joined Apr 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2006, 12:04 AM

What caused me to change my mind?  Reading the post under the topic “Paramount Music Group”

I have heard so many rip-off stories that I consider most groups that profess to represent songwriters and get the works out, usually are not what they claim to be.  When I found Paramount, I thought, could this be different.  But, as it turns out, NO they are not - check out the topic.

• Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2006, 01:13 PM

Here’s more information about us.  I’m Powell St. John’s wife and business manager.  Powell had a fairly successful music career in the 60’s and wrote many songs for the 13th Floor Elevators, and wrote Janis Joplin’s first hit, Bye Bye Baby.  Boz Skaggs and Doug Sahm have also recorded his music.  He has recently been “re-discovered” and recorded a new CD of all his songs, with Roky Erickson singing a duet on one.  We have a contract with Bug Music, who I thought is supposed to plug your music, but after 8 months with them, nothing has happened.  So, I guess we sort of have a foot in the door.  Now I just have to figure out how to pry it open.  Powell has a lot of really good songs and I just need to figure out how to get them out there.  We just joined NARAS, and I recently attended a networking session with them and asked just this question, but the answer I got was nebulous, at best.  I WILL GET THE ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION through perserverance and when I do, I will let you know.

• Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2006, 02:18 PM

If you have a signed contract with Bug Music then it is their song to pitch, assuming they have all the publishing on it.  They don’t plug it, they pitch it, trying to get someone to record it.  Eight months is not long at all for something to happen.  I have songs that have been under contract from six months to two years, and nothing has happened yet.  They all give me the same story.  It takes time, nothing happens overnight.  If you have ever heard the saying, the wheels move slow, in the music business, they move even slower.  If you had strictly wanted someone to plug your song, then a song plugger would have been your best best.  That it is how they make their living, of course, it ain’t free.  They either charge you a fee or a percentage.  The advantage of a music publisher is they do not charge a fee.  Sometimes they will hire song pluggers to pitch your song, but that is out of their pocket, since they have as much to gain as you do, by getting a cut on your song.

Roy Harris Joined Jul 31, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2006, 10:37 PM

Toby, if you have well-produced hit songs available then you might want to investigate Taxi.  For excellent songwriters with good production, they can be a vehicle.  Don’t take my word for it, check out the Taxi site & listings and the Taxi forum and chat to some other members.  Sounds to me like it might be a fit for you. 

Hummingbird Joined Jan 07, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2006, 10:45 PM

I have personally utilized the Paramount Music Group’s meldoy writing and demo services and am VERY pleased with professional quality of the demo and have had heard nothing but good critique by Nashville publishers (including a single-song contract offer).  Also, I had travelled to Nashville and met with Paramount exec. David Robinson and they were very informative, professional, honest and helpful.  Email me at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) for more info about Paramount, and if interested I’ll send you an mp3.file of the demo itself to give it a listen. 

Jeffrey Michael Ullsperger Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 26, 2006, 01:09 AM

Now vikki has me wondering if I’m an educated song writer…crap…one more thing to worry about….

Just funnin’ with ya Vic.

Randy

Randall W. Walker Joined Jun 08, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 26, 2006, 01:10 AM

Personnaly I think getting your song to an artist is like that thing I did when I was a kid….a snipe hunt.

Randy

Randall W. Walker Joined Jun 08, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 26, 2006, 01:24 AM

Even a blind hog finds an acorn every now and then.  Survey one hundred people that have dealt with Paramount and you may get about one or two that are satisfied with Paramount.  If you are that one or two, consider yourself fortunate and if you keep giving them material, let us know if you are still satisfied. 

Roy Harris Joined Jul 31, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 26, 2006, 12:08 PM

On one hand, I commend those on this site for their sincere attempts to be “champions” of the songwriting masses out there by warning of the dangers of the scam, present in the songwriting industry.  On the other hand, I’m a bit disturbed by the lack of understanding depicted here in some posts, of some very simple and obvious realities related to the songwriting industry.  First of all, most ANY and EVERY demo service out there will demo a song (regardless of the lyric quality and marketability), as long as the lyrics are for the most part complete and yes, most will work with a scratch melody in completing it for the songwriter as well.  However, based on the reality that 99% of the thousands of songs they demo will NEVER see an artist’s CD or air-time, they’ll not break their necks in pitching the VAST MAJORITY of the songs to publishers, artists, A&R exec.‘s, etc., regardless of whether they want to or not.  The FACT is here people, that most are just not good enough to cut it.  Having said that I will now ask this.  To who’s benefit would it be and how apt do you think songwriters would be to submit ANY song for demo production if they thought the song just wasnt going to be good enough to make the grade?  We wouldnt be very apt to at all and we’d never find anythings out for ourselves, meaning we’d never grow in our craft.  And when companies like the Paramount Group say they’re going to pitch the song, they will and they do IF indeed they believe the song has publisher and/or artist appeal and marketability.  How do I know this?  Because a music row publisher has informed me that Paramount does indeed approach them with songs they believe to have potential and does so frequently.  SO the reality is here folks, we ALL have to understand that any music (service or product) related company in the music industry is in the business to make money and that NOTHING comes easy and NOTHING comes free.  If you like to hear my Paramount song demo (my lyrics, their melody that has garnered at great deal of publisher attention and interest), it is located on Songramp under “what’s new”, my user name is “jwriter” and the song is entitled, “Beautiful Wife (Sharon’s Song)”.       

Jeffrey Michael Ullsperger Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2