Is Paramount Legit?

1 of 2

Jul 28, 2006, 08:56 PM

Is Paramount Legit?
I received a letter from Paramount saying ?
What Great Lyrics I have sent them, and they want to reward me with a Songwriting Contract -
My Question is, Do you think they really want me for me, or if they want to sign a Contract with everyone that sends them lyrics?
Thanks;Peace,
Alétheia

Food For The Soul Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 28, 2006, 09:06 PM

Okay so you need not reply to this thread - I just read
Michael Clarks - Okay Thanks, 

Food For The Soul Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 06, 2006, 03:31 AM

Alaytheia

Don’t know you or what kind of music you like but paramount mastered a demo for me, take a listen at.    http:/www.wwswa.com
  search for:  Fool in the First Degree
Please give me feed back on the song.
What more can you expect for $298.00
The song is there if some one searches for it.                           

Greg Lane 2 Joined Jul 14, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 07, 2006, 07:18 AM

greg, it is like impossible to find your song. lol . . .

darra Joined Nov 08, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 09, 2006, 01:49 AM

DARA, WWSWA DOES NOT SUPPORT FIREFOX BROWSER it does support Internet Explorer. E nter windows media player in search box on WWSWSA and then search for my song. Go to bottom right corner and play. Go to Lyrics section of this forum Enter the fool in the first degree post and scroll down and JD STENZELL comments, he explains how he got in and found it.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 09, 2006, 01:51 AM

Hey Greg you could try posting your songs on soundclick I went from wwswa to soundclick and have had better results with people listening to my song.

rcwriter Joined Feb 03, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 09, 2006, 02:00 AM

Well I thought about it but look like they wanted to sell your songs or something maybe I didn’t read everything any way a publisher called today wanting to sign a contract so I might better limit it `until I find out something To bad this site doesn’t let you post songs.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 15, 2006, 03:45 AM

I sent in “I Can Feel The Wind” back when I thought they were real…....it’s real all right….......they just dressed up the version I do…......and sent me a copy…...really nice….....but i wrote the song…music and all….......so of course it turned out great!!! LMAO…...........but all in all…......you don’t pay for nothing less then an expensive demo done by somebody else and an outdated publisher’s sheet..oh and they send you an order form to buy more copys of your song…....irony anyone?...........yeah

I’ve heard that if you send in nothing but lyrics…...they send you back a musical version of your words so generic….......hank williams wouldn’t even drink to it….....ouch .......

[url=http://www.myspace.com/annetteneumann]http://www.myspace.com/annetteneumann[/url]

http://www.myspace.com/annetteneumann

“Success isn’t a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire first!”

Annette 2 Joined May 08, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 15, 2006, 11:32 PM

Forget it. They, like NSS, Hilltop Records, and Americord are all doing the same scam. Some check for copyright info to find out what you have copyrighted, then they send you this wonderful letter about how great your lyrics are and how you could be the next great songwriter of all time. All you have to do is let them record your songs for you and they will make them know in the industry. Of course you must use their studio musicians to make the demos and of course you have to pay for studio time. Then they send you a little letter telling you how to go about getting someone to notice your music. You end up spending(wasting) your money and your time. Sometimes you will get a nice demo, sometimes not. With Hilltop you actually can become Published, but it is expensive, but it gets you legitimate to join BMI or ASCAP. I have tried both routes and it was okay. I suggest you find a nice local studio and make your own demos. It’s cheaper and you have more control over finished product. Good Luck—keep trying.  Bob

Bob Pruitt 1 Joined Mar 02, 2005
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 18, 2006, 01:07 PM

Hello all.
Yes, I had a demo produced from Paramount too. From reading all the negative posts I’d say I am a lucky one cause it turned out great. But just like everyone else, I too received a songwriter contract and a few weeks after the demo came another letter about being chosen for the catch a rising star CD. With the assumption I would send more money. If your song is that good there should be no reason to have to pay to include it on something that is supposed to earn the company distributing the CD royalties anyway. Also a big red flag is once you’ve submitted lyrics via their website just to supposedly see if the lyrics are worthy, it will not let you contact them again via email. It will tell you you are already in the database. And they say not to call their operators via telephone. Sounds to me like a take your money and run kind of place. I won’t use them again. I’ll just have to master my own demos a little better so they can be pitched.

michael pankey Joined Aug 17, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 18, 2006, 01:09 PM

By the way, I also checked with the BBB on them and found some reports but it also said dispute was resolved by Paramount. Don’t know what that means but I’m pretty sure there was no publishing contract or record deal involved.

michael pankey Joined Aug 17, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 18, 2006, 04:14 PM

You know, I guess I,m giving them to much credit but I read the contract again. The 5% is for their efforts in pitching the song,. They sent me a list
and in the back of my mind I knew they were not going to work as hard as I would or even care that my song got published be cause I wrote it. It says their efforts. So if they pitch it and call you with a deal that follows thru and is published they get their 5%. They don’t get it if you make the deal. You payed for the DEMO. Its yours no matter what. That would not be an effort towards publishing. Say for instance you had the demo mastered as a gift for your fiance or a freind. Then what! It never gets pitched or even have thoughts of being pitched. No deal, no publisher, no moola. These people are in buisness to make money just like everone else I know. If you were a demo studio you would be to. Go to their site and completely read what they say. If you don’t have melody they will collaborate or find someone that will for a price.  They did’nt change a thing on my song except the voice because I sent a rough DEMO with music and my voice. I got freinds to help who are musicians. Those were not needed from The Studio. And it was well worth what they charged cause I spent two years trying to get my voice to match the words with no luck and they did it in two months. WOW What if I’d done this two years ago. Maybe my song would already be published and I say that because someone already called me about signing a contract and it was from the list PARAMOUNT gave me but I put forth the EFFORT in sending the demo out. Thats the catch.
My effort. Not theirs. I sent it out. So they get no effort credit. Look guy’s, these folks are only MUSICIANS, they’re not MAGICIANS . So don’t expect them to snap their fingers and make things happen. Remember, you can satisfy some of the people some of the tim,
but you can’t satisfy all of the people all of the time.” BIGRED QUOTED THAT” If your song is that good, beleive in it and pitch it yourself and just remember. YOU WROTE IT. No
one else can take that away from you. It was well worth the the small price I payed to get It mastered professionally cause The demo I made was a Dirt
road model and would have been filed under ROADSIDE RECORDS. 

Greg Lane 1 Joined Jul 14, 2006
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 18, 2006, 04:18 PM

I guessed some one hacked my name the previous post should be from GREG LANE How did it change to Brian thats my middle name.????

Greg Lane 1 Joined Jul 14, 2006
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 18, 2006, 05:34 PM

Your question about Paramount Group, I don’t know alot but I did a search of copyright records and they had only about ten.  It did appear that they gave credit to the lyric writers and the music to themselves (as it should be).

Brenda McBryde 1 Joined Jul 26, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 18, 2006, 07:15 PM

The question is, should a demo house be masquarading as a publisher to lure in new songwriters?  Most new songwriters (including me) get all excited about getting their songs demo-ed & “pitched”.  But the question is, are the songs demo-worthy?  I never bothered to find out.  I thought they were, so they were.  So I spent close to $3,000 demoing 6 songs which will never be pitchable.  I’m much more sober now… and I’ve spent time and money learning to play instruments and learning how to produce a simple demo myself. 

If one is a songwriter and not a musician, then one should team up with local musician(s) and/or a local producer and get a guitar/vocal or piano/vocal demo of the song and shop it around like that, get some feedback from pros, before wasting money on full-blown demos.  And you should NEVER EVER *PAY* anyone to write music for your lyrics.  That’s called a co-write, you jointly own the song and you jointly pay any and all costs for producing a demo, and you share all the writer’s income from the song.

cheers
Vikki

Hummingbird Joined Jan 07, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 18, 2006, 08:46 PM

Thats good if you got the time and the talent to learn. I been foolin with a
guitar all my life and I can watch and play by sight but as far as by ear. I’m 77.7/8% tone death. And I’ve got twice as much Invested in guitars and amps.Then how long and what price is it going to cost to learn. And most musicians are wound up in them self or their band and don’t have time to fool with you.  6 1/2 dozen or the other works for some for some it don’t

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2