Who Is Your Hero/ My son Brian wrote this essay

1 of 2

Nov 02, 2007, 05:49 PM

My son Brian wrote the essay below for a scholarship contest. He is a 17 year old high school senior. You can vote or not but I was so impressed with his essay I thought I would like to share it with you all. Sorry but how can I not be proud of this. Wow.

Thanks
Kevin Pearson

link to vote you can enter as guest and vote for him if you like.
http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/Blogs/BlogView.aspx?bid=14297&scid=172

When most people think of a hero they think of their favorite actor or athlete. Some think of relatives or friends, and I cannot think of one person. It seems that in my life, every person I have come in contact with has left an impression on me. My family, my teachers or that random stranger that smiles at me as I walk down the street, they all leave an impact. To most people, a hero is someone who leaves an impact on them. Would it be safe to say that everyone is a hero to me?
My parents are my hero’s, they taught me everything and raised me to be the person I am today. My grandpa, who has always been there for me, and has shared his knowledge and wisdom. My cousins, who as I was growing up, I idolized and wanted to be just like them. My friends, who have stuck up for me, and have truly always been by my side, how they can fight for people is amazing. My teachers are my hero’s too. They teach hundreds of students, and do whatever they can for each person so that they succeed.
Of course firefighters and police officers are also my heros. Particularly firefighters, as I plan to one day be one myself. Athletes like Jerome Bettis, who fought through his azma to be one of the National Football Leagues greatest rushers of all time. I cannot leave out my older brother and sister. They taught me how to survive, and I look up to them. They care for me, and have gone through everything I will. Also, my girlfriend. No matter what goes on in my life, with my family, or friends, she is always there. Through thick and thin, she is able to deal with everything that happens in her life and mine. She is always someone I can go to, when going to my family is not an option.
As you can tell, I have many different hero’s. Anyone can be a hero. If you are positive, and take time in your day to make another person’s day better, you are a hero. You do not have to throw six touchdowns on Sunday, win an academy award, or fly at the speed of light and have amazing strength. A simple smile or wave, or telling someone you love them and that you will always be there for them. To me that is a true hero, and to pick one hero out of everyone who has done that, it would be impossible

Kevin Pearson Joined May 10, 2007
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 05, 2007, 05:39 PM

link to vote you can enter as guest and vote for him if you like.
http://www.brickfish.com/Pages/Blogs/BlogView.aspx?bid=14297&scid=172

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 08, 2008, 09:27 PM

What a good read. Tell your son, good job. Thanks for sharing.

Liz Rodriguez Joined Feb 08, 2008
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 08, 2008, 10:26 PM

Thanks Liz,

He is a great kid. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this and for your comments.

Kevin Pearson

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 09, 2008, 06:31 AM

your son is a creative thinker,i enjoyed reading this

SHERRY STANFORD Joined Jun 29, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 29, 2008, 11:27 AM

Wow this is really great, he’s a great writer, my dad is a firefighter and I consider him as a hero, but I agree actually with everything he said, wow.

Natalie Vazquez 2 Joined May 28, 2007
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 29, 2008, 12:13 PM

Natalie,

Thank you so much for your comments. I will make sure that my son see’s what you wrote.

Kevin

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 29, 2008, 11:17 PM

It is a good essay - thanks for bringing it back up to the top, Natalie - I had never gotten to see it.  Kevin - your son’s incredibly well written, man.  He sounds like a deep thinker with very organized thoughts that’s able to bring them forth on a rather mature level.  This is college level stuff.  To be honest, I know A LOT of college-educated adults who could never present themselves in print this well.  I understand why you’re proud of him - you have every right to be :-)

W. Ray Bertram is
“The Blind Film Maker of Arkansas”

“This Is Arkansas”
“FaceBook:
https://www.facebook.com/TheBestOfArkansas
YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThisIsArkansas

KaBERTRAM!!!
SoundClick:
http://members.soundclick.com/KaBertram
YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/KaBertram

Atomic Rocket Global Productions
http://members.soundclick.com/Atomic+Rocket

BCC Global: The Back Country Connection
http://members.soundclick.com/The+Back+Country+Connection

Ray Bertram Joined Apr 29, 2008
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 30, 2008, 12:12 AM

Ray,

Thanks for your comments. I am extremely proud of Brian.  This essay is only a small part of the young man I’ve had the pleasure of watching grow up.

Kevin

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 27, 2009, 05:36 PM

Wow Kevin,
I just stumbled across this. You have got to be so proud of Brian. A very good essay. A real winner in my book.

Charles

Charles Kirkland Joined Feb 15, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 27, 2009, 05:54 PM

Charles,

Thank you very much. I really appreciate your comments. Yes I am very proud of my son.  Since he wrote this essay he has graduated from high school, entered Akron University to study Fire Science, Taken state required fire training certification classes and become a volunteer fireman in a small local community and has had some thankfully minor hands on actual experience. He is taking a civil service exam in April for a larger full time fire department. All that and he won’t be 19 years old until July of 09.

Thanks
Kevin

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 23, 2009, 05:39 PM

Wow!!! Thats about all I acn say If he ever writes anything like this again be sure to post it becase i so want to read more!!!!

Arian

Xxx

P.s Well done Brian you are a credit to your family!

Arian Jones Joined Aug 23, 2009
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 24, 2009, 12:37 PM

Arian,

Thanks for reading and commenting. Brian wrote that essay while still in high school. In the last year he’d gone away to college and done extremely well . Left to go to fire training school to become a certified fire fighter in the state of Ohio and is now attending EMT classes for the same purpose. He only turned 19 in July of this year. He has also been a volunteer firefighter in a small local community since last August-08.  In the eary moring hours of last Satuday morning (8-22-09) he was involved in rescuing a young autistic boy from the second story roof of a home in that community. The boy had apparently climbed out a window around 2 am and the volunteers were called out to help. Though a fledling fireman would never admit it I’m pretty sure he’s not crazy about heights himself but went up on that roof and did what he had to do and all ended well….( yes there were a number of other heroes there that night too)  Though I have always been proud of him , as he was non- challantly telling me the story I was thinking now you are are a hero too.

Thanks
Kevin

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 24, 2009, 12:49 PM

Hi Kevin I am the same age as your son!!!
He sounds like a hero and you should be really really proud!! Im training to be an emergeny doctor like the people you see in the emergency room but its the people who come in in the ambulance that i am going to be dealin with!! One day I want to be a surgeon but only when i am older!!!
Your son sounds like a good guy!!
<3

Arian

Xxx

• Rank

Send PM

Aug 24, 2009, 01:37 PM

Arian,

Thank you again. Good luck on your career as well. Thank God there are people like yourself who take on such tough tasks. I wish you nothing bit the best.

Thanks
Kevin

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 24, 2009, 01:41 PM

thank you
my main interest in the world is saving peoples lives