Alert: SW101 will be closing down as of April 1, 2019. Read More.

How about a help desk?

Feb 01, 2012, 06:50 AM

For example, I keep seeing a message in my emails about using Smart Notification and that sounds like a great idea, but I have no idea how to enable it. : ( Please help!!! ; )

Ed

ED M Joined Jan 08, 2012
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 01, 2012, 05:07 PM

Ed,

Thanks for the question.  “Smart Notification” is part of the “Subscribe to a thread” feature. At the top of every thread you will see a link that says “Subscribe”.  If you click that link you will get an email when a new comment is posted to that thread.  Once you click the subscribe button it turns to an “Unsubscribe” button—so you can unsubscribe at any time.

Also comes into play when you submit a post in a thread.  There is a check box that says “Notify me via email when someone posts in this thread”.  It is checked by default.

So what’s the “Smart” part of the “Smart Notification”?  Let’s say you are subscribed to an very active thread and 10 people post in a very short time period.  You wouldn’t really want to get 10 emails.  The system will send you a notification for the first post, but not send you any others until you have clicked the link in the first email.

Hope I have explained that clearly.  Let me know if you have further questions!

Peter Ripley Joined Feb 24, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 01, 2012, 07:35 PM

That was a very good explanation, Peter!! :0 )

Thank you for that, it’s much appreciated!!! : )

So if I’m understanding correctly, instead of the message saying If you have Smart Notifications enabled, shouldn’t the message in the email say Smart Notifications is enabled by default and you will not receive any further
notifications until you visit the topic?

And regarding the Help Desk idea, I only mentioned it cause I wasn’t sure where to post a technical question like this one. I’m assuming it’s alright to post those questions here?

Ed

ED M Joined Jan 08, 2012
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM