CRACKS AND POPS AFTER I RIP A CD

1 of 2

Mar 30, 2012, 03:27 PM

All 4 cds are clear when I play them. After I rip them there are cracks and pops, and when I uploaded them on a music web site there are the same cracks and pops. I deleted them and ripped them again only to have the same problem.

I can’t license the songs this way.
Should I download a better ripper (I’m using windows media player) and if so, whch one.

I know if anyone’s going to give me a solution to this problem, it will be the people on this web site.

Waiting to hear from you and thanks, Sylvia

Sylvia Semel Joined Mar 07, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 31, 2012, 10:56 AM

Hi Sylvia,
try using Audiograbber. It’s for free, easy to use and creates wave or MP3 files.

All the best
Robert

http://www.robertbaitinger.de

Robert Baitinger Joined Jun 01, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 31, 2012, 12:06 PM

Thanks Robert, I knew you or someone here would know.

Sylvia

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 31, 2012, 12:48 PM

I downloaded it for a free trial, but can’t find where you rip a cd. When I put in my cd, nothing happens. Do you have to pay for it before you get that?

Sylvia

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Mar 31, 2012, 01:47 PM

You put your CD in the drive and start Audiograbber. You will see the tracks of your CD on the screen. You can click on the ones you want to rip. In the menu “options” you can define the directory to which the files are copied. Then you press on the “grab” button and your files get copied from the CD to your hard disk. You can activate the MP3 option if you want them in MP3 format instead of WAV.

I’m using version 1.83.

Take care
Robert

Robert Baitinger Joined Jun 01, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2012, 09:53 AM

Use EAC. It is free and has the BEST error correction in the industry. It will rip a bit for bit perfect copy of a CD onto a computer.

Mod8

SW101 Moderator 8 Joined Aug 04, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2012, 10:39 AM

Thank you. Do I first have to delete the songs on windows media player and on my computer before I rip them again?

I appreciate everyone’s advice. Sylvia

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2012, 10:42 AM
Sylvia Semel - 02 April 2012 10:39 AM

Thank you. Do I first have to delete the songs on windows media player and on my computer before I rip them again?

I appreciate everyone’s advice. Sylvia

Not necessarily. Just save the new rips somewhere else, but if the ones in Windows Media Player have pops and cracks, I see no need to keep them. Windows Media Player is probably the worst way to grab music off of a CD. The error correction is pretty much non-existent.

Mod 8

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2012, 10:49 AM

Thanks, when I downloaded it, driver performer was downloaded. Is that correct?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2012, 11:03 AM

With EAC? I believe that is correct. I don’t know enough about your system to know, though. EAC looks at your CD-ROM drives so it can provide optimum performance, so it may need the driver performer to do so.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2012, 12:30 PM

The performer keeps on scanning my hard drive.

I appreciate all the advice, but I’m having problems working these rippers or downloading them. Can I trouble you for one more thing.

Can you send me the names of some more good rippers. Maybe I’ll be successful downloading one of them.

I feel so stupid and I’m sorry.

Thanks again,

Sylvia

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2012, 12:34 PM

EAC is the only one I use as it’s free and is better than any ripping program that you would pay money for even. I wouldn’t recommend another one honestly. Go here to make sure you get a legit copy of EAC. There are lots of other links on the first page of their site that are a bit confusing.

http://www.pcwelt.de/news/Exact-Audio-Copy-EAC-International-1524569.html

I think you may have downloaded a free hard drive scanning program rather than EAC, so try the above link and that should get you going.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2012, 12:38 PM

You’re right.  Clicked on that and it’s in a foreign language.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 13, 2012, 05:03 PM

To make a long story short on all of this, I called microsoft tech support to check out my windows media player. They couldn’t find anything wrong. To make sure, I got tech support at a store and had them look over the windows media player. It was fine.

He said it had to be the cds I was ripping. Now all the cds were burned from the master cd for each one at the studio. Perhaps, that’s where the problem lies.

I subsequently e mailed the studio and they wouldn’t take the cds back until I decided to send a copy of the e-mail to the owner and CEO. Then they said mail back the demos. So I mailed back 10 demos. Now I’m waiting to them to burn them again and hopefully solve the problem.

My question is: If the cd is clear and i rip it, how can it have clicks and pops on it?

Also, has anyone used itunes to rip their cds, and if so would that be better than wmp?

I tried to work audio grabber, but I couldn’t figure out what to do with it.

When I searched for the other one: exact audio copy, I got a virus on the computer and had to have it removed by tech support.

How complicated this all seems to me.

But I’m learning. And thank you all for your help. Please don’t feel frustrated with me.

Thanks again, Sylvia

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 16, 2012, 09:36 AM

Sylvia, we are here to help. EAC doesn’t have a virus in it. You must have gotten that from selecting the wrong download link. In order to avoid pops and clicks (which even iTunes will do) and avoid a degradation in sound quality, you need a program that will rip a CD with error correction. A CD-R (one that started out blank) is prone to having errors while being ripped to a computer, so error correction is a must. Windows Media Player is bad with error correction no matter what, so there’s noting wrong with your WIndows Media Player. It just doesn’t do a good job of ripping CDs. For the best results, EAC should be used and the files should be ripped as .wav files rather than MP3 or WMA files which are lossy or compressed. For a perfect copy of your master CD, EAC is the definitive answer.

Mod8

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 16, 2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks, Moderator.

I was able to download EAC, but don’t have the slightest idea how to rip an audio cd on it. The same goes with audiograbber that I also downloaded.

I only know how to rip on wmp. It’s so simple to do.

Will have to go on some forums and hope I can figure it out.

Thanks, everyone.

Sylvia

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2