What Does It Take To Get Started In The Songwriting Business?

Apr 10, 2012, 03:16 PM

I have been writing lyrics for a few years now, but don’t know what it takes to get my start or my feet off of the ground in the music business.  The thing is I do not write melodies, but I do write lyrics.  Is it based on WHO you know?  I have been doing a lot of research and educating myself on the music business and I am reading a lot that the ONLY way to make it in the music business is to either get a lawyer or know somebody already in the business.  Can anyone on here speak from experience?

Becki5 Joined Aug 22, 2011
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 16, 2012, 09:49 AM

It is somewhat based on who you know, and if you don’t know people, get out and start networking. Building the bridges you need is the best thing you can do.

Mod8

SW101 Moderator 8 Joined Aug 04, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 16, 2012, 09:47 PM

Ok, Mod8.  I pretty much knew that, but needed the confirmation.  Thank you for responding.  You speak the truth.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 18, 2012, 04:21 PM

A lot of hard work, time and dedication… and a whole lot of faith in yourself and your work…

JD101 Joined Jul 02, 2011
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 21, 2012, 09:04 PM

Thanks JD101.  :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

May 26, 2012, 10:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9wa8UC-XrE

Hey Becky,
    Age old question….There are a million songwriters trying to land on the head of a pin and those are just the ones OUTSIDE the Circle…
I always wrote to be successful (monetary and fame) but had an experience recently that set me straight. I wrote a song about it above called “TALENT ON LOAN”...
Check it out….
Anybody wanting to contact me for any reason use .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)
Thanks,
Barry David Butler
Sebring, Florida
barrydbutler channel on youtube

Barry David Butler Joined Dec 14, 2011
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM