Nashville Song Service: Scam or No Scam????

1 of 2

Jun 10, 2013, 11:24 PM

Today I got a email back from NSS about a song I sent to them weeks ago. I just want to know if its fake or not.

Nashville Song Service <info@nashvillesongservice.com>

5:26 PM (48 minutes ago)

to me
Torey,

Although your lyric “The Kissing Booth” was not chosen in the lyric writing contest for a free production, there are several judges and staff who feel that it deserves a demo and promotion. Therefore, we are happy to offer you a chance to have your demo produced professionally and promoted to the music industry. There is a one time fee for this service which is very reasonable.  I have pasted a link below for your review. There you will find all necessary information as to what type of production packages we offer and pricing. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. Don’t miss out!  Please let me know if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you and always feel free to enter our monthly contest. -Rachel

Review of “The Kissing Booth”: The title of the song is strong b/c it’s intriguing and makes you want to know what the song is about. You have good rhyme through out the lyric which creates good rhythm which makes the song flow well. Also, repeating certain words/lines creates cohesion and drives the song forward. You’ve done a good job of capturing and expressing the emotions in the lyric which is important b/c emotion is how people connect with music. The length is good as well as your song structure.

I hope we get to work on “The Kissing Booth” soon!

Torey Hicks Joined Jun 10, 2013
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2013, 02:49 AM

They are a demo shop.  They are in a business that makes money off of you by:
—putting “stock” music to your lyrics,
—placing it on a “compilation” CD, and then
—sending it to a few radio stations
—where it is thrown in the trash. 

That’s the whole deal right there.  Run away as fast as you can.

Kevin Emmrich Joined Feb 24, 2007
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2013, 02:50 AM

Hi Torey..NSS. is a demo service ,,you pay them to make a demo.. They might make something you like,but it will cost you ..Some of the people on here have used them but I don’t think that they were satisfied ,, You can go on some forums and collaborate with musicians who are looking for lyrics for their beats

Good Luck
Darlene

darlene mccoy Joined Jul 14, 2007
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2013, 05:35 PM

Oh thank god. Thank you all for the replies.

Torey Hicks Joined Jun 10, 2013
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2013, 03:35 PM

Torry,

If you are going to be involved in the music business with your songs. Understand how the “other side” works. There are thousands of these services, contests, etc. They surf Library of Congress for people registering copyrights, they have tons of information out there. They cruise sites like these. The are demo mills and do what they say, demos, but as been said here, mostly some pretty substandard work. There are also song contests which do roughly the same thing. You might find you like what they do, but most of the time they overpromise and underdeliver.

If you want to keep from being ripped off, try and find songwriter’s groups in your area. NSAI, (Nashville Songwriters Association International) have chapter workshops all over the world and a visit to their web site can direct you to one close to you. Meeting people face to face and finding out their experiences, can help educate you against anyone who might be out there to separate you from your money.

There are times we all have to have recording and usually we have to pay for those ourselves. Just shop around and make wise decisions about what you are paying for.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 29, 2013, 11:38 AM

Marc Is spot on take his advice..

Anyone who offers to put music to your lyrics for money is scamming you.

Hits are not and never will be written this way.

Even those who will charge you for a Demo and say they will do the music for free are the scum of the earth

Those of us who have worked in the music industry most of their working life will tell you

Great Songs and even average songs that make money via top Pro Singers get songs in general

from people who have worked hard bloody hard on their songs re writing them many times

Changing the tempos Changing the genres, Changing the Demo vocalist.

That letter they sent you is playing on your vanity, to get money off of you

The first stage is a work demo in any song See if it works with one voice and either a GUITAR OR A PIANO

Sleep on your songs let your Subconscious re write them,

Take on board what Marc tells you he lives in Nashville and knows most of the people that matter.

Peter Kristian Joined Jan 11, 2008
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 07, 2013, 09:07 PM

Hello Peter,

Thank you for the comments and yes, that is very much true. I have been here for 25 years and have known a lot of people here long before that and we all wonder where this myth came in where you can just send songs in, get them recorded and then someone is going to pitch them and get cuts. I don;t know where that myth got started but it is a MYTH. The music business has never and will never operate like that, with random people, just record some songs at a studio, especially those “put poems to music” nonsense, and get cut.

Hit and established songwriters take years and decades to build skills and political relationships and get where they are. If you think we are all just going to stand aside and let outside people wander in with their songs, particularly VERY SUBSTANDARD SONGS, and take our livelyhoods, then you can just imagine what you do for a living and someone coming up to you saying “Hey what you do looks better than what I do. You don’t mind if I step in line in front of you, take your money, your contacts, your livelyhood, ablity to pay for your house, your kid’s educations, your food, etc. do you?

What business ever operates like that? And this is a BUSINESS.

Everyone could save themselves a LOT OF MONEY and frustration, if they were to physically visit a major music center and learn the reality. It is not this “Hey I’ve got a song, you wanna hear it?” Type stuff that these so called “pitches” and services claim to be doing.

If you can’t sit down with recording artists, labels, producers, have a one on one realistic relationship with someone in this business who has a physical address, and reputation, you are wasting your money thinking you are going to get songs recorded. Period.

You might get your songs recorded and sound better than you can do them. You might be able to get friends, family and people on the internet to view your web site, or respond to a link you put on Facebook or Reverb Nation, but if you think industry people pay attention to any of that stuff, you are very misguided.

Time to get into reality.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 10, 2013, 11:56 AM

Hi Marc,

I agree with everything you say, however the one problem from most lyric writers

who submit on here, is they don’t understand METER, and yet expect a good music

composer to put memorable music to their lyrics.

All Good Poetry has METER, if we study the Best Poets in our History , we can identify

the Greek Name their METER has been given .If a lyric has no repetition in the METER

in it’s verses ,  Know one will remember it .  Example from Paul Mac Cartney

YEST er day   SUD en ly re   DUM da da written in (Dactyl) 

followed by ALL my TROU -bles SEEMED so FAR a-way DUM da DUM da DUM da ( DUM da da) 

(three Troche feet, followed by one Dactyl foot )

This is where Paul Mac. keeps the listener interested alternating between two different METER’S.

This great example ,  for me is the biggest failing learning lyric writers have, understanding the

connection between Rhythm and Meter, put simply Line Meter is the measurement (duration) of

each note. Great Song Lyrics, like good Poetry all have Interesting Meter.

One of the guys from J.P.F. Stated the lyrics of YESTERDAY Sucked.  I pointed out to him

that his own LYRICS sucked because he had no idea of why good METER in Song Lyrics

was necessary.

The Rhymes used in YESTERDAY would be considered cliche by top song writers of today, but

that song was written sixty years ago !!

Peter Kristian Joined Jan 11, 2008
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 10, 2013, 02:07 PM

Peter,

You are exactly right. That song is one of my favorite teaching tools. It is nine lines and the MOST RECORDED SONG IN MUSIC HISTORY.  It’s simplicity is what makes it work.

Lyric only writers do not understand meter, personal relationships, the art of entertaining, what it takes to actually makes songs WORK. They are generally very insulated and have songwriter tunnelvision, so that they know exactly what they are saying but it doesn’t translate into the general public. It is because music and poetry are written very differently.

While some poetry does have meter, most, particularly modern poetry have really no rules. They can be free verse, I ambic pentamater, actually pretty much anything goes. No one has to sing it, no one has to tighten it into a conventional format which will work for the listening public. It is the difference between a Dutch Masters and Impressionist painting. The Dutch Masters looks like what it is. Several men around a table, or ship, or bowl of fruit.
An impressionistic painting can be pretty much anything. A face with the nose where the ear is supposed to be, the mouth on the top of the head, etc. It is written from the inner mind of the poet.

Songs have to conform to a melody, meter, and have to connect with a LISTERNER. And it is the main reason that just about the only poetry that sells at all now are those in poetry collections and are mostly being paid for by other poets who want their poems in a poetry collection. It is the poorest selling of all written works. Right up there with dental technical manuals.

So the entire “setting your poems to music” is a scam to begin with. Songs are not written that way. And while there are elements of poetry in some writing, most, particularly country is very direct, easy to understand and actually the poetic phrases are the first thing rejected.

Songs are also written from an emotional perspective. Most of the stories, (again I deal with country but had a rock career first), have happened to someone. Falling in or out of love, connection with relatives or situations that present the day to day life that we all are accustomed to seeing, yet setting it out in a way that makes the listener go “I have never thought of it like that” is our goal.

So yes, there is poetry, and there is music. And the two generally don’t successfully go together very often.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 10, 2013, 07:49 PM

I had entered the contest a couple of times, and of corse I never won and you also can not see the written lyrics of the winner. Ever time I entered I would receive an e mail from a gal with them telling me how much the writers liked my work and would love to work with me. Once I finaly told her that if they loved it so much then they do me a demo and pitch it and then when I make money we’ll talk. I also told her that I’ve been told to run not walk from companies like this! I’ve never heard another word!

Bill

Bill Kahney Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 11, 2013, 01:21 AM

Bill,

You never will hear a word. That is not what they are in business for. they are there to collect money from you. Period. If they really think your songs are great, they will want to find out more about you. They will ask you who you are writing with and who knows you. They will see if you socially know anyone they trust and are willing to invest their time, attention and money in you.

If you can’t provide them with any of those names, can’t tell them where your last record charted, who you have been working with, and have a solid catalogue of well recorded commercial songs, they are only interested in your money,

That is reality. Most people are dreamers. There is no end to people who prey on those people.
MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 09, 2013, 07:41 AM

Hi there,
I submitted my lyric to a new record label “Sunset Boulevard Record Company” and they have offered to record it for free using their recording studio, band, their artists, etc. - they are new in the business, and only need $85 admin fee which covers sound engineering, etc. Obviously I’m very tempted because they are a record label, but am a bit hesitant about the $85.  Need advise please, if they are legit this could be very exciting but on the other hand I don’t want to throw money away if they’re not. So my question is would you go for it if you were in my shoes??
Thanks
Gwyneth

Gwyneth Bradley Joined Oct 09, 2013
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 09, 2013, 12:26 PM

Your lyric may be something special. Is it? Or is it just another amateur lyric that is not special, except to you? Sometimes amateurs write great lyrics. It happens. Most of the time it doesn’t. But the writers keep writing and they like what they write. I haven’t read it so I can’t make a judgment.

Free? For $85? That’s not ‘Free’. If they got 5 people a week to ‘buy’ their ‘Free’ deal they could make a nice living, if they didn’t do anything else. They’re not promising to do anything else. A couple more ‘Free-buyers’ and they could vacation in the Bahamas. Well, maybe just Florida. 

They’re a record label? What are the names of the artists on their ‘record label’? How’s business? Or do they just call themselves that because they know you’ve heard that term and know the labels control a lot of the money-making power in the industry (or did, back in the old days)?

Odds are your lyric will be recorded by their ‘musicians’ and will be nothing special, a vocal melody that goes up and comes down, maybe in a predictable way, winds its way through the lyric to the end, and ends. The ‘band’ won’t find anything special in the arrangement, a guitar riff or organ flourish or percussion beat in the accompaniment to make the vocal stand out. But it will fulfill their promise in your ‘contract’.

The contract may bestow some special ongoing rights to them, if YOU get the song recorded by an artist and to market where it can earn money. After all, they are your ‘co-writer’, having taken your ‘poem’, a ‘lyric’ without a melody, and ‘written’ a melody for it, making it qualify as a ‘song’. Do you have a copyright registration?

If you’ve got $85 to buy yourself this gift, go ahead. It will be a learning experience, and may come out wonderfully. You will be able to play it for your friends and family, but odds are the ‘record label’ isn’t going to promote one of their ‘artists’ with it. They’re not going to promote you with it. They’re not ‘contracting’ to do any of that. It will just be a novelty for your own pleasure of hearing your lyric actually performed as a song. They might come back with another offer to add your ‘song’ to a compilation which will go out to DJ’s all over the country, who will promptly toss them in the trash, if they get them at all. That will probably be ‘Free’ for $85 too. As a ‘demonstration’ recording you could use to pitch it to artists or other labels, it may be adequate. Odds are you won’t have access to artists or labels or publishers to have that pitch opportunity.

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out. We’ll be listening on the airwaves and waiting for great success to make you famous, but we’ll also be here to sympathize and empathize with you if it’s just a money-making scheme for a new ‘record label’.

Welcome to the campus of Songwriter101. See ya’ in class!

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 09, 2013, 12:45 PM

Thanks Gary,
Hmmmmmmmmmm that pretty much is what my gut feeling told me. I started my own thread and I’ll post my lyric there.

Gwyneth Bradley Joined Oct 09, 2013
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 15, 2013, 10:52 AM

Hi dose any know if Sunset Boulevard Record Company are a positive move in selling your songs??

Derek Small Joined Oct 15, 2013
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 16, 2013, 01:01 AM

Have they ‘sold’ anyone else’s songs? Is there a list of artists who have recorded songs they ‘sold’? What does it mean to ‘sell’ your songs?

How did you hear of them?

Often companies simply find people who have registered songs for copyright or who answer ads or find them by googling and tell them they can help them do whatever it is they think they can do with their songs. They may ‘sell’ you a demonstration recording, often cutting themselves in for a share of the Publishing Royalties and/or Songwriting Royalties, if the song ever gets to market. If they charge you $85 or $850 and can find a couple more of ‘you’ each week, they can make a nice living, whether you ever get anything out of it or not.

If you’re new to the ‘business’ end of taking your art to market, you need to study how the business works. A good starter ‘text book’ for your ‘classes’ here on the campus of Songwriter101 might be John Braheny’s “The Craft and Business of Songwriting”. It’s mostly about the business. The more you know the more able you will be to deal with other people as you go to market.

Welcome to the campus of Songwriter101.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2