My Dream

Aug 30, 2015, 06:56 PM

Hello All~
My name is Michelle. You are probably wondering why I am writing to you and this is the reason… to ask for your help… I know I don’t know any of you personally and vice versa, but I would love to try. I’ve been writing lyrics since the seventh grade and now I am a freshmen in college. I am 19 years old with a dream of making it big one day. I know that is the same for all of you.
Music in general has been a life saver in my case… about four years ago I was very depressed and I cut myself…Music was my escape. I write pretty relatable lyrics. I would like to share my talents with the world, and this is where you come in. My mom gave me an idea to start a fundraiser for getting my lyrics discovered. I had never thought about doing this before. My goal is $15,000. I know that is a pretty high goal, but music industries and demos are expensive.
If you could be so kind just to donate…I don’t care if you only donate a dollar. Every bit helps. Please help my dream come true….It would mean the world to me
I feel bad asking and I am not making anyone do anything especially because you don’t know me..
But check out some of my songs and tell me what you think!

Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/michellemargaret
Here is the link to donate : http://www.gofundme.com/ief30g
Thank you…
Michelle Margaret

Michelle Margaret Joined Mar 23, 2014
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 20, 2015, 09:10 AM

Well,...

I wish you well and I wish you luck!

Yet your approach does not look that promising to me. You see, lyrics are only the half of a song - if at all. And demos, even professionally produced demos, are a kind of instant music that won’t bring you very far. Generally it’s hard to ‘pitch’ songs, let alone just lyrics, without having a name and some ‘connections’. The good news is: you can save your money for demos and for sending CDs or whatever to A&R managers.

You’ll still need: music (that is composers who are willing to work together with you) and musicians who actually play and sing the song. You already seem to have someone to sing - that’s more than most of us lyrics-only guys ever achieve. BTW, where do the tunes come from? Just asking.

I have tried a slightly uncommon approach to get my lyrics ‘out there’. I gave them away - yet with the note that they may only be used non-commercially. Meanwhile (after more than 10 years!) quite a few of my lyrics have actually become part of ‘commercial’ songs, that is, they are being performed or even professionally produced (one song is even played on the radio regularly). That all still happens on a on a low scale, we’re talking $500 here - per year! But my words are out there - that’s the important thing. A non-commercial duo called KOMIR have set 47 lyrics of mine to music and have produced several wonderful videos for their songs.

Maybe this can give you an idea - beyond the traditional (and outdated) ‘pitching’ approach.

Most important is that you like and value what you’re doing. You’re on a good path there.

Bernd

Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician;
likes rock, writes for anybody anyway
http://bernd-harmsen.com

Bernd Harmsen Joined May 31, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM