Is politic in music favored by few or many.What do you say about it?

Jun 29, 2017, 09:23 PM

or how about ‘mohammed loves my country’ lol :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 18, 2018, 04:48 PM

Hi my friends,long time no read.Happy and prosperous year 2018 to you,filled with lucrative contracts,platinum albums,plenty of money to spoil you rotten.
———This morning,while brousing the Internet I came across “The View”.You know,those girls who talk over each other and scream a lot and laugh. Woopi Goldberg was,of cause the leader.
——-They had the family of the Mexican “Dreamer” who was deported by Trump after 30 years of living here in US,paying taxes and minding his business. He was via satellite on the TV and Woop, his wife and his kids were interacting with him.All this story became so sad that Woopi became quite heated up and freely verbalized her feelings. It got me going just as well. Being an immigrant, this story got me thinking about the beginnings, the insecurity, the hardship, the difficulties to fit in.
————I am thinking to write some song about it, something like I wrote those years ago about the never ending problem with the “Wall”.
What do you think?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFwv4lplfns

Otto Kristen Joined Jul 26, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 18, 2018, 07:10 PM

Otto,
Do you honestly believe Trump is building a wall to stop immigration?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 19, 2018, 10:07 AM

Otto, you might want to listen to Ry Cooder’s “Across The Borderline” for inspiration. It’s a very well written song that conveys some sad truths. It’s been covered by Willie Nelson and others.

LoRez Joined Jan 14, 2018
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 19, 2018, 11:03 AM

Thanks Japov. No, I do not think Trump is building the wall to stop anything.He wants to build it,so it would be left behind as his “legacy”,
to satisfy his enormous ego,similar as one of the Chinese emperors did in case of the famous wall, which supposed to keep the secrete of gun powder in and the European barbarians out.It failed in both cases.But now they own the United States,or at least they holding most of the loans.But as a legacy to an emperor who’s name we don’t remember anymore.

Otto Kristen Joined Jul 26, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 19, 2018, 11:16 AM

Otto, were you actually referring to a different wall, when you mentioned writing about it all those years ago.

I actually think this would be a good subject for a song. The human aspect makes it way more than a political statement.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 19, 2018, 12:42 PM

You know, towards the end of the book, the Bible mentions a nation without walls…......

[ Edited: 19 January 2018 12:44 PM by JAPOV]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2018, 01:27 PM

Otto,

You do realize of course, that EVERYWHERE walls have been erected, they have worked don’t you? When the wall in San Diego California was erected. illegal crossings in that area, dropped by around 94%. Same in areas of Texas. where they have been erected. In Israel, their rates of Palestinian terrorist raids on their populace, has dropped to almost nothing. The Great Wall of China worked for hundreds of years. So they actually work every where they are built. Talk to anyone who works on the border or in those cities and towns and they will tell you that ANYTHING that slows down a process is a good thing. Well worth the money. Same as people putting alarms and locks on their houses and cars. Might not stop every thief or crime, but if it stops a percentage, it is a good thing. So they do work. Facts are stubborn things.

As I have always said if you feel compelled to writing something about politics, go ahead and do it. But don’t think you are the only one doing that on any subject. Those songs are a dime a thousand because EVERY songwriter has a soap box and writes about what they see, so you have company with around 30-60 million people with a vast amount writing politically themed songs. If you want to write some, knock yourself out. But before you spend a lot of time on it, why don’t you do a GOOGLE or YOU TUBE search on songs of any subject you are compelled to and see how many are already out there. Might be surprised. But always write whatever you feel driven to. If nothing else, you can get something off your chest, which is really the purpose of those types of songs, to make the writer feel better. No need to “raise awareness,” when awareness is already more than raised.

MAB

[ Edited: 20 January 2018 01:30 PM by MBarne4908]

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2018, 01:37 PM

MAB - exactly why I think this would be a good subject for a song. Whatever your theoretical views, the human drama of kids being sent to countries they don’t know transcends political posturing.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2018, 01:59 PM

Gavin,

A lot of people seem to think so. I’ve heard between 30-40 of them in the past few months. None what I would consider very good, but there are a lot of them. That is really my only comment. When you have ANYTHING that is in the “public conciousness”, wars, politics, disasters, etc. that are seen in the 24 hour news cycles, you will have a LOT of them, because writers write what they see and hear. So there is this huge outpouring of pretty much the exact same song done over and over. As a writer, they fade quickly because audiences generally have their own opinions on any issue, and they bore very easily. What was THE HOT subject yesterday, is nothing but a yawn today.
As a singer, no matter which side of the subject you take, you alienate half the people in your audience, because half are always going to dissagree with you. And people no longer “just dissagree with someone. Now they openly confront, take to social media to decry the writer or artist and scream them down, create anger and hatred, cause sites to be taken down, most of the people who do it can’t finish a song without being protested or shouted down by an audience, and that becomes the focus, in stead of the song itself. There is no dialogue. Only people yelling at each other.
And in a world of the Eight second attention span, it is already so easy to be ignored, multiplying that chance is already a sketchy approach. It’s the main reason almost none of these type songs have any traction outside of the writer’s immediate circles. People no longer need the “social concious” of singers, writers, actors, etc. So they are more or less an excercise in self expression. But some people thrive on confrontation and seem to enjoy it. Totally a personal decision on what the purpose for their music is.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2018, 02:03 PM

Especially kids trained from birth to hate “infidels”...........

“No need to raise awareness when awareness is already more than raised….” Seriously MAB,
do you do that on purpose? Think about it….... WHY ARE WE HAVING THIS CONVERSATION?
Perhaps you just give folks far too much credit lol

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2018, 02:09 PM

Japov missing the point as usual.

I’m talking on the subject of SONGS, Japov and answering the POINT of the forum post? “Is politic in music favored by few or many? and Why” See, I actually respond to what is asked. The point is that MOST MUSICIANS ALREADY write about this stuff and most people already see it. People are incredibly bored, very quickly and are more likely to TUNE out these type songs instead of embrace them. Then practical reality is that they don’t “raise awareness” and only “raise people’s hackles.” I know that you really don’t pay attention to very much in the real world but believe me, it is pretty contentious out there. But to answer the points of SONGS, any writer CAN write them. And they DO. ALL THE TIME.
That is the answer to the question. Yes, writers, artists DO write them and they DO perform them. But AUDIENCES rarely embrace them.
So if someone wants to write them, go right ahead. If their purpose is to be ignored, tuned out or create controversy, then they will succeed at that. Go ahead and write away. But don’t think you are the ONLY one doing it.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2018, 02:50 PM

OK, let’s say that I am the “oddball”. Let’s say that I am the only one that’s bored with “Oooo,
Baby, Baby….” or “My beer tastes like tears….” or “I’d slit my wrists for you darling….” or, best
of all “Let’s get sick n #####”. Let’s say that I am the only one who appreciates an well written
lyric that actually provokes meaningful and intelligent thought. Let’s say that I truly am the
only one who’s sick to death of mealy-mouth, lukewarm, white-washed, “politically correct”
BULL${}!T that only appeals to children who can scarcely form an opinion because of an over
indulgent 8 second attention span! What does that say about the main stream media that you
so dearly defend, company man?!?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2018, 03:49 PM

JAPOV, I don’t think many kids brought from Mexico when they were 2 years old are brought up to hate “infidels.”

There are a lot of political arguments that could be made on both sides of this particular issue, and they would probably make for pretty boring songs, but the human drama of separation is something else. There’s a whole tradition of Irish emigrant songs that are sung to this day. On the other hand, these were pretty much always written by Irish people and probably the best people to write songs about the experience of facing the prospect of being sent to a “home country” they don’t know are “Dreamers” themselves.

I love your song titles there! Neatly sums up the inanity of most of what is written. You and I would probably think differently about a lot of things, but songs that make you think will find an audience if they are good enough. As for alienating half the people in your audience, MAB, that’s market segmentation. You don’t have to please everyone - just really please your target audience.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2018, 04:18 PM

Of course you’re right Gav, but the problem isn’t the wall; It’s what the wall represents.
Sovereignty today is a problem “worldwide”. For Otto’s song to be meaningful it has to
be universal…....

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM