Searching baby name

1 of 2

May 30, 2016, 06:07 AM

Hii I am Marissa,

I have recently given birth to a baby boy and want a Unique baby boy name for him.

Marissap Joined May 27, 2016
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 03:54 PM

Hi Marissa, congratulations on the birth of your son.

I’d offer the name “Boy” .  It was good enough for Tarzan and Jane.  Ha!!!  (of course I’m only teasin).

Good luck with deciding on a good name.

OD

OD-OldDog Joined Feb 14, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 03:57 PM

I would suggest the name “Old Dog.”

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 04:35 PM

Funny Ol Buddy; but the name “Pup” might work best along that line of thinking.  He could change it to “Old Dog” many years down the road.

Marissa, Johnny Cash once sang a song about “a boy named Sue”.  Sally would be a good alternative; but prepare for the poor boy to come home from school with a few black eyes.  Then too, you would run into the risk he may never speak to you again once he got older (about the 1st grade or so).

I once worked with a guy that had a gruff voice and everyone called him “Gravel”.  I always liked that name.

Then of course a biblical name like “Sampson” sounds like a good strong name also.

Another unique name would be “Supper”, going with the cliche’ “call me anything you’d like, just don’t call me late for Supper”.

Oh Wait!!!!  How about “Honey”???  What guy wouldn’t want to be called “Honey” by all the girls; although that may pose a problem with all the guys calling him that.

Maybe a name like “Studly”.  That would raise a few eyebrows as he grows up.

Mercy, I agree with you, this name calling business can be difficult.

How much time do we have before it has to be printed on his birth certificate???

OD

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 04:44 PM

“Pup” sounds great. It might be as good as any “unique” name. I don’t think they are a good idea. A guy called John has better prospects of being taken seriously than someone saddled with a name made up out of random syllables.

As for Sue or Sally, I wouldn’t worry. In America, it seems just about any male name sooner or later becomes a female name. Robin, Leslie, Lindsay… heck John Boy Walton’s mother was played by a gal called Michael. And he was probably called John Boy to distinguish him from an anticipated epidemic of John Girls.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 04:56 PM

My mothers fathers name was Alex and her mothers name was Lois… so they named her Alexis. I
always thought that was kinda’ cool :) What’s your boys’ fathers name Marissa??

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 05:09 PM

Gavin Ol Buddy,

That is all very astute of you; but realize the true problems Johnboy Walton really faced and the true story behind his nickname Johnboy.  They didn’t mention all the bullying he suffered in school growing up (on TV) but the true facts behind his nickname is this.

Appalachia America didn’t have indoor plumbing back in the 30’s the era of the Walton family story.  They had “Out Houses”.  The kids at school teased John by calling him “Outhouse John”.  It was his family that was concerned how that nickname effected him and all the bullying he suffered that they came up with the name “Johnboy” when saying “goodnight” every evening and they used that name for the TV show.

In fact; it was a couple of the younger members of the show (during the pilot program) that called him by his real nickname “Outhouse John” that led the producer’s of the show to do re-takes and call him “Johnboy” until they got it right.  I read that in the article when his sister Mary Ellen posed for Playboy years later.  Of course I didn’t look at the pictures, I only read the article.

OD

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 05:10 PM

Tony,  I don’t think her father’s name was Marissa (as you questioned); but I could be wrong.  Ha!!!

OD

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 05:14 PM

Hey, since Tony has chimed in, that reminds me of an entirely new list of names.

What about “Candy” or best yet “Dandy”.  Now I like that one.

Oh, there is also “Dapper Dan”, that’s a good one too.

OD

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 05:40 PM

OD, are you suggesting Marissa should name her son Outhouse? It is unique, I’ll give you that.

I have actually visited Earl Hamner’s house in Virginia, now the Waltons Museum. No outhouse there now. I’m surprised they didn’t save it for posterity. The thrill of settling your bottom onto a surface once graced by such an illustrious posterior would be breathtaking. It sends a shiver down my spine just thinking about it. It would certainly be a bigger draw than a cheesy recreation of Ike Godsey’s store.

[ Edited: 02 June 2016 05:55 PM by Gavin Sinclair]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 05:49 PM

“posterity” “posterior” LOL :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 05:56 PM

I’m pretty sure we’re really helping Marissa now.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:00 PM

Hi Marissa…what about Kellan, Jax, Gunner, Miles, Easton, Zayn, Sawyer or Weston.

” For every flowering thought there will be a page like a wet and mangy mongrel, and for every looping flight a tap on the wing and a reminder that wax cannot hold the feathers firm too near the sun”.
—John Steinbeck

Sylvia Samaniego Garcia Joined Sep 28, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:04 PM

Sylvia, you’re funnier than OD! Gunner! :)

Please don’t tell me that’s your Dad’s name and I’ve just put my big foot in it again!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:08 PM

Nope…my Grandpa’s.

” For every flowering thought there will be a page like a wet and mangy mongrel, and for every looping flight a tap on the wing and a reminder that wax cannot hold the feathers firm too near the sun”.
—John Steinbeck

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:10 PM

Just kidding!!! Lol

—John Steinbeck

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2