Searching baby name

2 of 2

Jun 02, 2016, 06:13 PM

Gunny is very common in the Marine Corps :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:14 PM

I think it’s a cool name. And it’s unique. :)))

” For every flowering thought there will be a page like a wet and mangy mongrel, and for every looping flight a tap on the wing and a reminder that wax cannot hold the feathers firm too near the sun”.
—John Steinbeck

Sylvia Samaniego Garcia Joined Sep 28, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:26 PM

Sylvia Dear,  I’m sure as a woman you have given some thought to names that us guys wouldn’t even consider until the time is at hand.  Those are all good names but we are trying to name our baby something special.  We may not be the father but we could be potential “God Fathers”.  This is serious stuff.

I’m thinking Marissa is looking for a unique name only three stooges like Tony, Gavin, and myself can come up with.  Well then, there are a few more names to consider;  Moe, Curly, Shep, but forget Larry.

How about; Stacks, Scooter, Winston, Blanks, Cornwall, Stoner, Recon, Sharpie, Outlet, Brick, Blake, Brody, Canister, Foliage, Sonny, Birmingham, August, Teaser, Disco, Rock, wait….... that’s it…..... Rock; or Rockie. 

Mercy, I’m running out of names.

OD

OD-OldDog Joined Feb 14, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:41 PM
Sylvia Samaniego Garcia - 02 June 2016 06:10 PM

Just kidding!!! Lol

You had me going there for a moment, Sylvia. Afraid I had been an even bigger horse’s ### than usual.

Actually Gunnar is an actual name. Scandinavian. And Miles is a decent suggestion - real, but not common. My sister-in-law in Ireland has a fiance called Miles.

As usual, you are the only one actually helping.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:51 PM

To come up with something truly meaningful and unique I think we need more information Marissa.
What’s yours and your husbands/SO’s nationality?
What’s your SO’s name?
What do you both do? (not necessarily occupation)
Is music important, is that why you posted here?
Is religious or political affiliation important?

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:52 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 02 June 2016 06:41 PM
Sylvia Samaniego Garcia - 02 June 2016 06:10 PM

Just kidding!!! Lol

You had me going there for a moment, Sylvia. Afraid I had been an even bigger horse’s ### than usual.

Actually Gunnar is an actual name. Scandinavian. And Miles is a decent suggestion - real, but not common. My sister-in-law in Ireland has a fiance called Miles.

As usual, you are the only one actually helping.

Scandinavian…cool!!!  I read a book a while back and the protagonist’s name was Gunner. Had never heard it before but I liked it.

” For every flowering thought there will be a page like a wet and mangy mongrel, and for every looping flight a tap on the wing and a reminder that wax cannot hold the feathers firm too near the sun”.
—John Steinbeck

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:52 PM
OD-OldDog - 02 June 2016 06:26 PM

Sylvia Dear,  I’m sure as a woman you have given some thought to names that us guys wouldn’t even consider until the time is at hand.  Those are all good names but we are trying to name our baby something special.  We may not be the father but we could be potential “God Fathers”.  This is serious stuff.

I’m thinking Marissa is looking for a unique name only three stooges like Tony, Gavin, and myself can come up with.  Well then, there are a few more names to consider;  Moe, Curly, Shep, but forget Larry.

How about; Stacks, Scooter, Winston, Blanks, Cornwall, Stoner, Recon, Sharpie, Outlet, Brick, Blake, Brody, Canister, Foliage, Sonny, Birmingham, August, Teaser, Disco, Rock, wait….... that’s it…..... Rock; or Rockie. 

Mercy, I’m running out of names.

OD

Canister would be my choice. Classy and stupid at the same time. That’s not easy.

We could also follow the precedent of names derived from English soccer teams, like “Chelsea.” Maybe this was behind your suggestion of “Birmingham.” The top clubs offer some tempting choices like Aston Villa, Norwich and Arsenal, but for real uniqueness, we need to go for more obscure teams in the lower leagues. Tranmere, Shrewsbury or Rotherham, perhaps. I could practically guarantee the little chap would be the only Brighton and Hove Albion in his class, but for a really distinguished moniker, that is unlikely to be scooped up by anyone else, I don’t think you can go wrong with choosing a team that no longer exists. Imagine how you will swell with pride when introducing little Accrington Stanley.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 06:59 PM

Accrington Stanley…that’s a mouthful. Lol

—John Steinbeck

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 02, 2016, 07:49 PM

Marissa,  may I go back to my Native American Heritage and suggest a method my ancestors used hundreds of years ago; by giving a name that was common to the child by the first thing they noticed about them.  I don’t mean to suggest any bad jokes that came out of that practice (by the white man that followed).

I don’t recall the exact Native American Indian language; but I’ll do my best. I’ll try to speak the language and give the translation the best I can:

“Odocslappyas”; translation “Doctor Slaps On A**”. 

Indian language “moreaforapleaseya” translation “More Morphine Please”.

“Takeinanshoveh” translation “Breathe and Push”

“DonttellaCusta”, translation “Holy Crap Why Is He Black”

“BottaBottaZinguh” (played on TomToms and crash on a breast shield) “Walk Proud With That Thing”

“Awalloptomytumma”  “He Kicked Like A Mule”.

Forgive me Marissa, I’m going way back in history with these suggestions.  I admit I’m a bit rusty on my true Native Indian language.  I hope it helps.

OD

[ Edited: 04 June 2016 12:34 PM by OD-OldDog]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 03, 2016, 10:47 AM

Hello Marissa,

Congratulations on the birth of your son, and thank you for considering us here at SW101 to help choose a name for your child.  You probably have noticed that the “Three Amigos” are quite prolific in this endeavor and are pouring their hearts and souls in to this project, thank goodness Sylvia has stepped in to bring some sanity to the situation, she is a great handler, although I have seen a few good suggestions come out of the fray.  ( I am quite surprised that OD has not suggested Budweiser Busch, or Bruskey.  Of course there would be a little sense made of the name Budweiser, he could be called Bud for short).  You might recall the AT&T commercial where Bob called his parents collect and blurted out “weotababyit’saboy”, to avoid the long distance charges, but that name would be to long and hard to spell, with no chance for a nick name.  I have seen city names used for a new born, Reno, Orlando, Cisco, Diego are just a few.  What ever name you decide upon, it will always hold a special place in the hearts of both you and your son, best wishes,

Speak soon,

Ron

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 04, 2016, 01:22 PM

Ron,

Thank-you for joining in and trying to help Marissa on choosing a good name for our “101” baby also.  This may be a first for the site and we have to get it right.  Also “Thank-You” for noticing Sylvia has a difficult task keeping Gavin and Tony in line.  Believe me, they can be too much for her and I to handle at times.

Marissa,  I fear our boy will get a social security number and perhaps his first check before we pick a name for him.  He needs a name for them to know who to send that first check to.  This is getting serious.  Speaking of “serious”,  what about “Cirus”.  That’s unusual.  Then there are one syllable names like;  Jake, Blake, Rich, Roy, Troy, Coy, Rowe, Ray, Bar, Pub, Nate, Sid, Kid, Sam, Gib, Zeke, ......... to name a few.

Then there are simple abbreviations that make good names to consider.  A few might be;  BMI, JR, OD, BJ (now Tony and Gavin don’t go there, I have a cousin we call BJ because it’s the first two letters of his first and middle name.  He’s a big boy and you don’t want to upset him).  Also the initials of BJ Thomas, as famous 70’s entertainer.  “E” which is what Elvis’s friends called him.  “B” which is what I called a friend of mine named Brian.  FU; which is the abbreviation for a local college named Findlay University (Tony and Gavin back off again).  TR; a nickname for my buddy Tommy Russell (no, not the same Russell as the owner of the Drive-Thru Sylvia owes money to).  GI; which has a patriotic ring to it.

Holy Crap…..... this is driving the Old Dog to drink and I don’t need any excuses.  I’m afraid I may be passed out when the name Marissa chooses is announced.  Sylvia Dear, please keep me informed.

OD

[ Edited: 04 June 2016 01:26 PM by OD-OldDog]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 04, 2016, 01:45 PM

I wonder if there really is a Marissa. By now, I would have expected her to suggest, politely of course, that we all (except Sylvia and Ron)stop behaving like 8 year-olds.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 04, 2016, 01:59 PM

Gavin Ol Buddy,  when you mention any of us acting like 8 year olds, I’m sure you were referring to you and Tony.  I’m sure the fact you left out OD’s name along with responsible members like Sylvia and Ron was an oversight on your part.  No problem Brother, I understand very well mistakes are easily made.

I too hope Marissa comes back online and lets us know if we were of any help.
(OD goes back to returning emails to Hillary and The Donald on their request for my advise concerning their political campaigns).

OD

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 31, 2016, 06:03 PM

Kaden! It’s gotta be the best name out there. I wish it was my real name…. but anyway whatever. I just think that Kaden is a great name (obviously otherwise I wouldn’t have picked it as a username.)

Brendan Anderson Joined Aug 31, 2016
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 16, 2017, 09:15 AM

Is there a happy ending, here? Big Rock finish??? Shave and a haircut? Anyone know what name she went with???

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

2 of 2