Link to BMI’s new Career Advice page

Aug 01, 2016, 10:27 AM

If you’re looking for career tips about writing, recording and pitching your music, BMI has launched a new Career Advice page on bmi.com.

Here’s the link:

http://www.bmi.com/news/advice?utm_source=SW101&utm_medium=forum post&utm_campaign=Career Advice

Be sure to check it out!

[ Edited: 01 August 2016 11:05 AM by SW101 Moderator 2]

SW101 Moderator 2 Joined Jun 07, 2004
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 01, 2016, 10:56 AM

WOW! This is going to take days….... Cool! :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 02, 2016, 02:02 PM

“Jason Garner commented, “All producers need some kind of basic worktape (a rough recording) to
know the melody, as well as the chords.  But it does not need to be polished at all.  That’s why
you’re coming to a producer! The songwriter can always invite the producer to suggest chord
changes, particularly if the writer is limited in his or her musical skill.  Most producers I know are
more than happy to do this, sometimes for an additional fee, but you’d be amazed at the results
you can get, just by making some slight changes to the chords that support your melody.”

This is what I like to think I’m good at “Rough Recording”, something an actual producer can
sink his teeth into! :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 02, 2016, 06:18 PM

Jason is very good. We have worked on many songs and he did one of my favorites. He’s the epitome of a guy that really brings a ton to a session.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 02, 2016, 07:16 PM

Cool….. who would I have to blow to meet him? :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 03, 2016, 01:21 AM

Yeah right. All you have to do is PM me and I can give you his email. I emailed him tonight and he said it would be fine. But you have to be cool how you approach him. Ask him questions and be polite and it will be fine. Now if you are wanting to do a recording, Jason is a great one to do it with. But don’t string him along. None of us have time for that. He is a professional guy and really good at what he does and is really in demand. So if he doesn’t get back to you right off, it might be because he is just busy. He is doing a TON of sessions these days. Let me know if you want to contact him.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 03, 2016, 03:10 PM

OK, so I shouldn’t try to seduce him with beer and cheesburgers. Got it! :)

What if all I really want is a seasoned pros ear? Just to know if there’s anything on my page that
would really be worth the effort….. in the interest of not wasting anyones time of course.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 03, 2016, 04:38 PM

JAPOV

You are kind of going in the wrong direction. That won’t happen with Jason, because that is not what he does. If you were an artist he was producing or a client working with an artist he would give you input, but his job is to make the songs YOU bring him SOUND as good as they can. What you are looking for is a publisher and those really don’t exist anymore on what you are looking for. To get that, you would have to pay for critiques and that is why people like myself do that. No one else will. But is all for a fee.

The publishers you are looking for like that, stopped doing that in the 70s and that is a long gone tradition. Overwhelming product and everyone having their own artists and writers did away with that, and have no interest in anyone outside their Sphere of influence. That is why the fee for services, song-pluggers exist. People don’t have the time nor inclination to do that for a variety of reasons, namely lawsuits. NO ONE will take a chance on listening to a song then have someone or themselves write a similar song or same title and be sued because someone they didn’t know said “I gave you my cd and you STOLE MY SONG!!!” That is what led to the “NO UNSOLICITED MATERIAL.”

That is what these kinds of sites, workshops, organizations like NSAI, Songwriters Guild, Song U, and other paid organizations are for. BMI here have member representatives that do that but they too are besieged by people wanting appointments. David Preston, a Vice President in Nashville told me he fields emails and calls from 135 people a DAY who are seeking appointments just as you are asking. No one has that kind of time.

So it really comes to you to find someone you can pay to do what you are asking.pr finding your own group of people who will give you feedback you can either take or reject. I would suggest you avoid studios because they want studio business and tell you EVERY ONE OF YOUR SONGS ARE HITS WAITING TO HAPPEN. At $600 Per song! Have to find people that do what you are looking for. There are those of us who do that. Because no one else will.

MAB

[ Edited: 03 August 2016 10:24 PM by MBarne4908]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 25, 2016, 06:19 AM

Good page!

Thanks for sharing!

Dimitris Chrisanthakopoulos Joined Jun 29, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 07, 2017, 08:51 AM

Thanks, some great stuff here :)

James Warrington Joined Nov 07, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 15, 2017, 09:52 AM

This week’s BMI The Weekly just hit my inbox. They’re talking about knowing when to hire management, do a deal with a publisher, hire a lawyer, build out your company’s team for the work ahead. Sign up. This link might work to view this issue.

https://www.bmi.com/news/entry/industry-insiders-share-tips-for-songwriters-on-navigating-the-music-busine?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Weekly 43&utm_content=Weekly 43+Version+A+CID_6ce5890347a714d10fbad3c3047eb9a7&utm_source=Email marketing software&utm_term=READ MORE

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 15, 2017, 08:40 PM

Gary, baby, how are you, my friend?Are you feeling the years as I do?Since we wrote to each other, I sneaked into my eighties, but refusing to slow down.Don’t have too much time for music tho, the hurricane Irma did a number on our Florida property, so I had to turn in to a lumberjack.And the chainsaw leaves my finger num, no good to play the keyboard or the old guitar.We even did not get our Internet reconnected for 14 days.Every time I play our song “Puddle of tears” I think of you, man.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6274_t797QA

Otto Kristen Joined Jul 26, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 16, 2017, 09:38 AM

Hello Otto. Nice to hear from you. Your eighties? Why that’s middle-aged. You’re entitled to have a crisis and a red Mercedes! Check with the wife first. No sense getting thrown out of the house.

I’m doing well. Each time I think of my woes I run into someone with worse trouble so I’m counting my blessings.

You must work with your hands to restimulate their sensitivity. I know music is one of the great joys of our lives and to be deprived, well, I spoke of worse troubles.

I’m recommending Absorbine Junior, a horse liniment. People rubbing it on their horses noticed that their own hands felt better. I use it for any ache and get some relief. It’s available at Feed stores, Rural King, places like that.

But your poor piano. It thinks you’ve abandoned it. Play, though you may not be ready for Carnegie Hall, play. Let the tones fill the piano, the room, your head. Guitar? Play. Enjoy the simple. There is much in the chords on the first three frets. Music has that power; to overjoy with simplicity.

And keep working with your fingers. Swinging your arms could bring blood flow out to heal and stimulate. Massaging one hand with the other can help. I seize two fingers in the other hand and ‘drag’ them out of my grip. I think it feels better afterward. Gently clapping the hands may be stimulating to healing and feeling. Letting each finger impact the one on the other hand seems to feel good. I ‘clap’ my hands on both sides of my achy knee fifty times and get relief in the knee. I think the vibration breaks fluids loose and lets the blood carry out the bad and bring in the nutrients to heal, or at least cope.

I like the image of you as Florida lumberjack. Pete Seeger was chopping wood in his nineties. My sister is in Ellenton, and they only lost a strip of siding. Their neighbor’s house was devastated. 

Now that the land is cleared perhaps the next hurricane season won’t have as much to make a mess of. Is that positive thinking? Or wishful thinking? Let’s see. With winter coming in the Great White North you’re probably enjoying Florida these next few months. I wish you good weather Otto.

I’m reading Studs Terkel’s “The Good War”. Perhaps I need to see your movie again too.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 16, 2017, 09:04 PM

Hello Otto,

Good to see you again, Gary has some really good suggestions.  My Father in law is in his early 80’s and he outworks me every time we get together, he constantly tells me he has keep moving around and working or he will lay down and die, probably something to that.  Some advice, maybe too little too late, try some anti vibration gloves when working with your chain saw or weed eater, they really help keep the numbness away.  Really good seeing you back on the site, good luck and best wishes,

Speak soon

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM