Presonus vs Focusrite

Oct 21, 2016, 07:01 PM

getting ready to upgrade my recording getup. moving up from my Boss Digital 8track into the Land of DAWs. on my budget, I’ve narrowed my interface options down to the Focusrite 2i2 or the Presonus Audiobox USB2x2. the reviews online seem pretty mixed. any thoughts on either of these is appreciated.

Brad Jaggard Joined Jun 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Oct 27, 2016, 03:17 PM

I have the Focusrite Saphire pro 40 and love it.

marshall williams 1 Joined Mar 27, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 15, 2016, 03:44 AM

Hi Brad. I don’t know if you’ve bought your interface yet, but I have a 2i4. I absolutely love it. The only downside I’ve seen is that the drivers aren’t 100% stable. It’s not a big deal. It just means that from time to time (I’ve needed to do it twice in the past 3 months and I use it every day) you’ve got to pull the cables and reinsert em.
Hope you’re well.
Jen

[ Edited: 15 November 2016 03:50 AM by Jenny Stokes]

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 26, 2016, 11:24 PM

Hey All! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! been SUPER busy at work, so haven’t had much time to hit the forums, but i can say that so far i am REALLY digging the audiobox 2x2 and would recommend it to anyone. no latency issues, decent drivers etc. great for anyone on a budget. (though i am planning on picking up an RME Babyface USB sometime, but no real rush though.) also Studio One is a Fantastic DAW! very user-friendly. I’ve recorded some jams and am very happy with the results. hoping to pick up where i left off here soon and get back to writing some full-on tunes. I’ve been mainly working on my chops out in the woodshed so i hope to get an opportunity to collaborate with you adventurous souls.

Hope All Is Well with You and Yours!!

-brad

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 19, 2017, 01:42 PM

So….. recently purchased the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 (2ndGen), and now that I’ve had an opportunity to try both the Presonus and Focusrite interfaces I have to say that the Focusrite is hands down the Bee’s Knees. it’s quieter, has better preamps, and offers more headroom. no contest. Also have been tinkering around with the REAPER DAW. very very cool. I have enjoyed using Studio One as it is a little more user-friendly right out of the box, BUT it uses Waaaay more CPU power than Reaper. in other words, its not as stable. Also Reaper allows you to use third party VST plug-ins at no extra cost. Studio One Requires a minimum of $60 bucks to unlock that capability if you’re running the Artist version.

Just some things to think about and consider!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 19, 2017, 03:25 PM

Wow! $60 just to use third party VSTs. That’s some nerve!

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 16, 2017, 10:50 AM

I got the Scarlett 2i4, which is great in my opinion because it’s got a pad button for attenuating in guitar amp & vocal recordings. Also, can try buying a B-stock (which the Focusrite team refurbish and re-sell), which is a bit cheaper and same quality.

Lucas Mengual Joined Jul 16, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM