SoundCloud Bug

Nov 17, 2016, 01:45 AM

Can anyone with the SoundCloud app on their phone please help me out with something. Go to my SoundCloud profile at https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5

You should see as the second featured song “If Only You Knew.” What picture do you see there? Is it my ruggedly handsome features below a hat and above a guitar? Or is it an old fashioned vinyl record sleeve with a picture of a woman and a man?

The reason I ask is that I am aware of a very serious bug that SoundCloud refuses to fix. When you replace a file with a modified one, this modified file will be the one presented to anyone listening through a browser. However, anyone listening with the SoundCloud app on their iPhone (and presumably also other phones) will hear the old file. What I’m not sure about is whether this applies only to people who have already listened to the track before it was updated or also to new listeners.

So please, if you have a moment, and have the app, let me know what picture you see. It should be the record sleeve, as I replaced the original picture with that one at the same time as I replaced the file. However, I suspect you might well see what I see - the original picture of yours truly, meaning the old file is still there for users of the app.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 09:50 AM

eye’m pretty sure it’s a “cookies” thing. soundcloud won’t even operate correctly unless you allow
cookies and java scripting. if you want people to see your updated pages you have to tell them to
clear their browser cachet…... it’s a tracking thing.

PIGSWAPWHAFTCA Joined Aug 27, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 12:18 PM
PIGSWAPWHAFTCA - 20 November 2016 09:50 AM

eye’m pretty sure it’s a “cookies” thing. soundcloud won’t even operate correctly unless you allow
cookies and java scripting. if you want people to see your updated pages you have to tell them to
clear their browser cachet…... it’s a tracking thing.

That may have something to do with it, but I don’t think it’s the whole story. People on the SoundCloud support forums report that even clearing the cache doesn’t solve the problem. Even if it did, it would be a pretty lousy solution.

Tony, do you have the app? If so, could you do what I asked above and let me know what picture you see?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 12:53 PM

sorry man, my phone is 4 years old and i’ve never had a problem with it. call me paranoid but i’m
very picky about apps n such. you could have a listen to my new acoustic sound check in the
next thread though, soundclick always pops right up! :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 01:00 PM

How did you listen to the song, then Tony?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 01:12 PM

on my phone, but i can’t use the pause or repeat/back controls. to listen again i have to exit
then reload the site, same with reverb nation. works ok on my laptop but i just don’t trust sites
that require cookies n scripting, you never really know what they’re uploading on your computer.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 01:14 PM

OK, so did you see the pretty picture of the olde time record sleeve or my ugly chops?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 01:23 PM

oh, yea it’s there! that’s cool, but i don’t use the app. you’re beautiful pic is still at the top of the
page.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 01:27 PM

Tony, you are brilliant but infuriating. Which beautiful pic?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 01:46 PM

lol, the old vynl cover is the pic for “if you only knew” and your beautiful hat n guitar is still at the
top of the page :)  but understand, i don’t use the app!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Nov 20, 2016, 01:51 PM

Thanks. That means that you are getting the right (latest) file. I just checked it on my wife’s phone. She doesn’t have the app either, and when she clicked through to SoundCloud from my website, she also got the correct picture and file. It is definitely an app only thing.

Of course, that still leaves my original question unanswered until someone who has the app, but hasn’t already listened to the song does so and tells me what picture they see.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 08, 2016, 09:33 PM

Gavin Ol Buddy,

I just had a carrier pigeon drop off an “app” on my back deck.  It wasn’t a very pretty picture and it splattered a little so I would assume that was the file of you in your hat.  I hope that helps.

OD

OD-OldDog Joined Feb 14, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 08, 2016, 11:53 PM

OD, did you not see the sign at the door, saying “Tech Talk?” perhaps I should explain that “tech” is short for “technology.” You won’t like it here at all.

As for the pigeon, I don’t think it came from here. I just went out and counted the little fellas and they are all still here. I thought they were supposed to go home. I thought that was the whole point of the fat little buggers. You’re going to have to drive down here and pick ‘em up.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM