9 Things Skilled Songwriters do

Dec 07, 2016, 10:28 AM

Marty Dodson is an owner of SONGTOWN, a very good resource site for songwriters. He is a hit writer and continually puts great pearls of wisdom up for his viewers. Very good guy. Today he posted this one which speaks to a lot of the questions people like Donna have when it comes to focus, and other issues regarding songwriters. It is about the habits that professional songwriters employ to keep at it, even when things are tough, which they are most of the time.

Most writers truly interested in bettering themselves, should check out and particpate in a number of sites. This is a good one.

MAB

https://songtown.com/skilled-songwriters-skills/

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 07, 2016, 05:26 PM

Adding this to my bookmarks! It will give me something to read while I am “working”

Marc-Alan Barnette - 07 December 2016 10:28 AM

Marty Dodson is an owner of SONGTOWN, a very good resource site for songwriters. He is a hit writer and continually puts great pearls of wisdom up for his viewers. Very good guy. Today he posted this one which speaks to a lot of the questions people like Donna have when it comes to focus, and other issues regarding songwriters. It is about the habits that professional songwriters employ to keep at it, even when things are tough, which they are most of the time.

Most writers truly interested in bettering themselves, should check out and particpate in a number of sites. This is a good one.

MAB

https://songtown.com/skilled-songwriters-skills/

Bryan Jurries Joined Aug 08, 2016
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 15, 2017, 12:05 PM

Thankyou MBarne4908, for the link, i am on it now.
Is there any chance i can ask you how highly you rate A Writer`s Paradise Stacy Hogan please?
Their website is right in your face, full of info galore, and seems to have a good history, and pedigree,
would i be wise to contact them regarding a demo, for me, as two others have left alarm bells ringing?
Many thanks,
Chris.

Chris Madge Joined Dec 15, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 15, 2017, 01:26 PM

Chris,

I’ve looked at the web site, and it looks very good. The prices are very much in line with what most of the mid level studios are charging, so I see nothing wrong with it. You have to make a distinction kin those that are promising STUDIO RECORDING and those that are offering PITCH SERVICES. They are two very different things and anyone offering both, are people personally I would avoid. It takes enormous amounts of time and effort in each one and anyone offering both is usually splitting time and I would say are probably not doing either that well.
Too many pitch services, especially those that “advertise” their services for out of towners, are known for taking anything, and that will waste industry people’s time.

Those that advertise their studio services, give examples of what they do, and provide other things, tips for songwriters, contact information to others that are NOT themselves, make recommendations, and provide references, in my experience I have no problems with. I would also seek out someone that has used their services before and find their experience.

Another thing you might consider is TRYING ONE SONG. They have pretty good prices per song, and I think it would be worth trying it out and seeing what happens. You are looking for FUTURE RELATIONSHIPS and you would like someone you could go to repeatedly, who knows you, your preferences, and be on a close personal reationship with.
I cannot tell you about Stacy, as I have not done anything there.

For nearly 20 years, I personally have worked with JAY VERNE, at JAY’S PLACE studios. He and I have a great relationships, he has played in many of my bands as keyboard player and band leader ,and we have probably recorded somewhere near 800 songs over the years. A big thing that I enjoy about Jay is that he will always encourage, “drop in’s”, when people come in town and just want to visit a studio, and possibly attend a session. He will always be very friendly, and seems to always have a real life story of any person’s home town. He’s a hoot.

To see us in action you can go to my video, “LESS IS MORE” https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weX_34MTLgQ

There are a few others that I reccomend that I have worked with, done demos, sung on other people’s demos, etc. There are many that I DON’T know. Between the major studios, medium sized studios, home studios, small self contained studios there are between 600-1000 studios in this town. Almost everyone who has ever done business here seems to have a studio. As a matter of fact, when they advertise “STUDIO APARTMENT” it is usually a REAL STUDIO. It is also a great place to buy used equipment, because a majority of those studios are not in business long. Easy to buy equipment. Harder to learn how to use it. And it is never the equipment. It is the people BEHIND the equipment.

So do your research, do some shopping, and try to get references.

Good luck,
MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 15, 2017, 01:40 PM

Hi MAB,
Thank you so much for your mine of information, you put out there, much appreciated.
I was only ever gonna try one song, no matter who with anyway, so i am on the same page there, also i will look up Jay`s Place studios too.
I absolutely love the fact you can get such good solid info from this site, from experienced people in the know, for me that is priceless, and i am lucky that i am able to still learn about so much on a daily basis.
Ok, i will tread forward carefully and wisely, and once again, thanks for some great advice.
Chris.

• Rank

Send PM

Dec 15, 2017, 01:57 PM

Chris,

Glad to do it. I sent you some people privately that I deal with and you should check out each one. All are people I have dealt with on a regular basis over the years and all quite good people. Jay is my favorite, but what works for me, might be different than you are looking for.

Something I will tell you is that if you have a specific “TYPE” of song, a certain artist you might like, or a song you like on the radio, you might reference that in your own song. What do you want it to sound like? If you do that, studios can usually play you something they have done that is similar to that song and you can decide for yourself what you want. In many cases, they are happy to MP3 you and example or direct you to their web sites as to find something you like.

In this town, we love to show off. LOL!

The problem people have when dealing with out of town studios where they are not there, is usually either in over expectations or not being specific in what they want. When they just allow the studio to do whatever they want, or don’t give the studio direction, it gets difficult to deal with. We are not mind readers. And it might not be a form of music that is in the wheelhouse of that particular studio. Some people that might like more programmed electronic dance music, for instance, like one of the people here Robert Battinger, might not find what he needs in some studios, who don’t really do that type of music. Each music has a certain touch, a certain attitude, nuances, etc. that needs an experienced hand in that type of music.

If someone like Robert asked me for something, I might direct him to a friend of mine in Los Angeles that is known for video game and television music, and has done EDM dance mixes for European markets. For someone asking for hip hop or Rap, I have a friend who lives in the San Francisco area that has actually worked with people like “SNOOP DOG” on projects. There are people in Nashville that do that sort of thing, but I don’t personally work with them, so I can’t provide a personal recommendation.

So if I recommend someone, it is after personal interaction. There are great people and studios here. Look around a little and see what you like. I’m sure you will find it. Tell them all I said hey.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 15, 2017, 02:24 PM

Wow Marc,
That is so kind of you to put all this up, and i would always give the studio a reference mark for who i want it to sound like or style etc, and scenario of what the song is about, so they get the vibe from the off. I have only been doing this for 4 1/2 months, and penned up 10 song lyrics so far, with another two W.I.P. most only take a short while to knock out, as i sit in solitude, get into the moment and characters too, and play out the scenario as easily as possible for people to relate too, you guys how off . . . . . . i resonate lol (i think) lol anyways, all this came about through something that has been bubbling away inside of me since i was about 18, and have never had the time to fulfill it all, and now i am by myself, my life is just about me, and what i want for the future.
I wrote the three first songs as a kind of trilogy as such, to a scenario i was put in, with a wonderful woman from West Virginia, who was my inspiration for the lyrics, and because we both live either side of the big pond (North Atlantic) lol, it was about our Long Distance Relationship, from first encounter, and how we felt (1st song) through our daily encounters from that point, and how we felt, (song 2) to what was meant to be our eventual meeting finally, after what seemed like an age of waiting for that moment, to meet for the first time at the Airport, (song 3), so after i wrote them, about a week later, i came with the idea of a TV reality program based on our encounter, for couples x 3 to be put into place as a tv show stateside, and then using the three songs (with annoying chorus punch lines) lol to enhance the feel of the programs appeal, may well have been a first in music, i don`t know for sure, but i wanted a guy to open the first song, a female to sing the second, and then both to finish off the final song together, as a heart rendering finale. Ronnie Dunn And Reba McIntire sprung to mind, because of their collaborations before. Anyway, that show too is a W.I.P. trying to pitch it also as i type.
Anyway, when i find some of the recommends from you, and contact them, i will of course say hi. Thanks Marc, Chris.

• Rank

Send PM

Dec 15, 2017, 02:44 PM

Chris,

The formula you are talking about has been done hundreds of times, especially in the 60’s where there were a plethora of male female duos, Sonny and Cher, being one of the most famous. But it’s been done a lot. Some of my favorites would be DONNY HATHAWAY and ROBERTA FLACK in a song called WHERE IS THE LOVE, from 1972. Peaches and Herb, Ike and Tina Turner, etc. all had many hits in that era.

It has gotten harder to do as stars now are difficult enough to get one of them to cooperate, much less trying to multiply that. Right now, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, are on a worldwide tour, but it has taken 20 years for them to do their current album. When you are dealing with different voices, keys, etc. it can get really complicated. I’d try to keep it to one at a time.

I’d also check for studios around you. There might be someone you can actually go sit down face to face with. And for me, that is a key to song recording. Getting the exact emotion and take on the song is an art and the closer you can get, the better. If you have only been writing for 4 and 1/2 months, I’d suggest writing a few more songs first and getting a solid foundation before I started spending money on recording.
Another common problem is that people will write a few songs, go spend a lot of money on recording them, and a few months down the road not even like those songs anymore. As you write more, you learn more, and therefore you have more choice. Need to mature first.

Just my two cents. But it comes from a lot of people who recorded something they HATED afterward. You’d be surprised how much that happens.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM