Chord to my voice

Dec 21, 2016, 04:53 PM

I have a question I have wondered for months without getting an answer to:
How do I know which chords that fit my singing voice? how should I do?? Please try to explain!
I have tried to record But I think its pretty hard to hear! Please help me!
😕

Johan Svendsen Joined Nov 29, 2015
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 21, 2016, 06:05 PM

By clicking on your name I accessed your profile. I see you are a hobby guitar player. I assume you have some Songs you’ve learned to play. Can you transpose them to other keys? Pick some simple Songs, folk Songs, classics, with only a few chords. By playing them in different keys and singing them you should get a feel for which ones (plural) you like your voice on.

I transposed “Amazing Grace” into other keys once to give a beginner a chance to explore the chords, and learn about her voice.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Dec 21, 2016, 07:12 PM

In addition to Garys comments, it’s also a case of what style of music suits your singing voice rather than which chords suit it.

Chords and vocal melody can always be made to fit together and sound right. As a starter, try a basic chord progression and hum a melody over it. To get a vocal note for each chord, try humming to one of the notes in the chord for each of the chords. You can then change the humming for lyrics and add movement and feeling to the vocal melody.

Complex chords progressions are well respected, but it’s the vocal melody that defines a nice song. There’s hundreds of hit songs which have a basic 3 chord progression to the music with an amazing vocal melody.

We’re all here to help each other, so why not post some of your stuff so we can help. You might find you sound better than you think :)

Stu Joined Oct 04, 2016
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 07, 2017, 02:06 AM

Thank you guys!
I´m going to take some lesson later this year

Johan Svendsen Joined Nov 29, 2015
  • Rank

Send PM