Headphones

Jan 17, 2017, 11:18 AM

I am looking to get a new set of headphones and am having a hard time making up my mind. I want something that will be good for mixing, but also has a nice sound for casual listening without breaking the bank. My internet research has led me to the Sony MDRV6, Sony MDR 7506 and the Audio-Technica ATH-M40x. Does anyone have any experience with any of these (or other models I haven’t considered) or advice that could help me decide?

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 18, 2017, 04:20 AM

Hello Gav,

I like to believe that I am frugal.  Deb, ( my wife, mother of our children, and my staunchest critic at times ), says I am just a down right cheapo.  I picked up a set of Soundlogic headphones about three years ago for $12.00 US, ( plus tax ), I thought the price was a little steep, but I sprung for them anyhow, cause I was tired of using earbuds.  Turns out they are great, I use them almost every day, great sound, very durable, and light weight to boot.  If you can find a set of these, you might want to try them out.  Best wishes,

Speak soon,

Ron

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 19, 2017, 04:29 PM

Hey Gavin, i have the audio technica model you listed and i love it! Solid and sound great, use them nearly everyday!

Brad Jaggard Joined Jun 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 19, 2017, 09:15 PM

Hi Gavin.
I also use audio-technica. Love em. My only beef would be that the seal isn’t great so if you are listening in a room with other people, they might ask you to turn it down or, if they like what they hear, they might come over and put their head up to yours to hear what’s happening. They’re comfortable (on my head for hours every day and I’ve never had a problem). They’re great for mixing because they pick up a good range of sounds. And, they are not insanely expensive.
Jen

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2017, 10:50 AM

Thanks Brad and Jen.

If they’re good enough for you… they should certainly be good enough for me.

And Ron, I yield to nobody in my frugality, but I think your wife may be right :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 22, 2017, 02:05 PM

Got the Audio-Technica headphones. Now that I have better equipment, expect the quality of everything I do to increase dramatically.

They do sound good. Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM