Please help!

Jan 17, 2017, 05:23 PM

I Got a message for a Couple of days ago.
Its about wich chords fit my voice..

Can someone explain what he mean?
Im a beginner and have No clue. I know major scale…
Please help me,
I think the best thing you can do is try singing along with the major scale in one octave in every key. (Like play the scale and try to match the pitch starting on the 3rd fret, then 4th, then 5th.) find out where you’re most comfortable and make that your go to key. Like for me I think my voice sounds best in the key of E, so a lot of my songs tend to end up around there. Then just check out the chords in that key!

Johan Svendsen Joined Nov 29, 2015
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 17, 2017, 08:59 PM

Hey, Johan.

Can you tell us what you don’t understand? Is it the vocabulary? I think what this person is saying is take a song you like and try playing it in different keys and find which best suits your voice. Do you know what chords belong in the various keys?

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 18, 2017, 12:53 PM
Gavin Sinclair - 17 January 2017 08:59 PM

Hey, Johan.

Can you tell us what you don’t understand? Is it the vocabulary? I think what this person is saying is take a song you like and try playing it in different keys and find which best suits your voice. Do you know what chords belong in the various keys?

No I don’t know where in any key where I belong! I don’t know which chord fit My voice.
Sorry for My bad english, im swedish.. :/

Johan Svendsen Joined Nov 29, 2015
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 19, 2017, 12:31 PM

Johan, I’m afraid I really don’t know what you are asking. Are you looking for specific chords that would suit your voice? If so, I think you are looking at this all wrong. You can’t say, I’m going to sing this in G, but not use a D major chord. You’ve pretty much got to use the chords that belong to the key.

You should be looking at which keys are most comfortable for your voice. It’s mostly a question of how high or low your comfortable vocal range goes. If you sing a song in G and think it’s a little too high, you might move it down to E and see if that’s easier and sounds better, etc. In G, you’re going to be using G, C and D major chords and maybe A, E and B minor chords. If you move it to E, you’ll be using E, A and B major chords and A flat, D flat and F sharp minor chords.

Personally, I can sound just as bad in lots of different keys. :)

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 19, 2017, 09:27 PM

Hello Johan.
I agree with Gavin on this one, you need to know your vocal range. Start by finding your lowest comfortable note and your highest comfortable note. Then, you can start having a meaningful conversation with the person you are working with. Knowing your range will help the person you are working with write a song that you can actually sing and sing well. Good luck with your project.
Jen

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 19, 2017, 10:01 PM

Pick a Song. Something simple. Perhaps a folk Song everybody knows. Play it in the key of A and sing along.

Transpose it to the key of B and try it again. Now the key of C. Continue, key of D, E, F, G.

See how you like how your voice fits each key. Hopefully you have several keys you’re comfortable in.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jan 20, 2017, 07:16 AM

Johan,

What is the situation of your life? Are you trying to be a singer in your local area? Do you sing now, are just trying to learn? Are you around other musicians, near a band, have music stores, coffee houses, etc. where music is played? Do you already write songs or are you just trying to learn to write songs?

The thing that most everyone trying to do this needs to first find a COMMUNITY close to them. This should comprise of writers, artists, musicians, a “scene” where other like minded people gather. While there is much you can learn about music from the Internet, there is nothing like being able to sit down with someone, and have them SHOW you things that relate to you. Many times you have to pay for someone to do this, as in a music teacher. But you will find, particularly getting started, that a little money spent in the correct way will give you a foundation for what you are trying to do and pay off a great deal later.

There is probably not a lot anyone here can do for you other than give you suggestions that have worked for them. Sitting down with an instrument, and doing something like Gary is suggesting is a great first step. Find a folk or popular song that everyone knows and sings, find the note on the piano or guitar, and see how comfortable it is for you to sing. Find the lowest and highest notes. Then try other keys.

The majority of music is about experimentation. That is how you learn. Just playing around, starting simple, and taking your time to learn. But do understand that this ALL TAKES TIME. It is not going to just happen and you are off and running. You are going to have to learn patience. If you practice that, you will be just fine.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM