The Secret Sauce??

Feb 20, 2017, 01:02 AM

hey all!, posted this over at Muse, and figured i’d post this here as well. so I’ll just copy/paste my post from there…. 

I recently picked up the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. LOVE it! much better sounding preamps, quieter, etc. than my humble Presonus Audiobox. so I see that it can record up to 192kHz sample rate (!!!) which has got me to thinking and digging around the Googlenet in regards to what sample rate I should be recording at. now, I understand that 192 kHz/24 bit is the audiophile choice. but a lot of people record at 96kHz/24 bit as it is considered the high-resolution industry standard. I’ve also read a lot of naysaying on that point as well saying that the difference in quality is miniscule, don’t bother, just record at 44.1 OR if you must, 48khz/24 bit and you’ll be just fine, but i’m not so sure about that. it seems that recording at a higher resolution (96kHz/24bit or even 88kHz) would yield a much better sounding lower resolution copy for say a CD or something… or does it reeeaaally? I mean, suppose you do everything “RIGHT” as far as recording, mixing and mastering that a pro would do (you know, the other magic ingredients) except you do it all at 44.1Khz/24 bit. is the sound quality going to suffer that much? is this one of the main differences between the home brew guy and the Big Boys? I mean, obviously the only way for me to find out is to actually do it (and I am!, it’s just a lengthy process). I’m just curious as to what some of your experiences have been.

thanks!
-brad

Brad Jaggard Joined Jun 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 20, 2017, 02:28 AM

Crash symbols! You can train your ear to hear the difference in the extreme high end. Just record
a long crash symbol both ways and listen with headphones. You’ll see that the difference is really
nominal especially within a full mix. So what it really boils down to is 44.1@24 is just optimal for
digital processing because most people can’t hear the difference above that :)

PIGSWAPWHAFTCA Joined Aug 27, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Feb 26, 2017, 06:02 PM

That is a fantastic idea Pigs! thumbs up to that!

Brad Jaggard Joined Jun 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 02, 2017, 07:26 AM

I just saw the http://www.indieconnect.com email and reference to a ‘How To Record Acoustic Guitars’ article. There’s an IndieConnect magazine.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM