Live in Paris (Divan du Monde): The one with the better luck (explicit)

Apr 04, 2017, 10:06 AM

Hi guys,

So, as i’m new here, i’ll just get started with a live i guess.
It was recorded in 2014 in the Paris venue “Le Divan du Monde” (i don’t know if anyone knows about this one ;D) in Montmartre.

I wrote this song 3 years ago. And it contains some explicit lyrics, which was not a problem in France: First because French people don’t speak englih ;D and second because, well, we don’t really care if we swear ;)

Anyway, i hope you’l enjoy it. And of course, feedback are welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcDsY3F7TVM

I’m performing with a friend and we didn’t have much time to rehearse, so sometimes, you can feel it.

Enjoy :)

Mike Moon Joined Apr 03, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 04, 2017, 12:34 PM

I enjoyed listening to this. I’m a sucker for a male-female duet! It might be helpful if you were to post the lyrics.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 04, 2017, 01:06 PM

I can’t understand much of what’s being sung. Perhaps it’s my hearing. Perhaps the mix, reverb, etc. Perhaps enunciation.

At the point where Pynia comes in you should be at the Chorus. The change of dynamics in a Chorus, Rhythmically, Melodically, renews listener interest. It sounds like Pynia does an ‘Ooo!’ ‘bridging’ segment and then repeats the Verse Movement you’ve already sung, perhaps with different words, a Verse 2. But that sameness can lose listeners. The Chorus is recommended to be placed at that point about 47 to 60 seconds in to avoid that.

Where you pick up the tempo works very well. I’d like to hear a rendition at that tempo.

The obscenity, of course, won’t work in polite company, perhaps embarrassing your host and their guests. It may be relevant in the Lyric. I don’t know. But can’t play on radio where a Song earns Royalties.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 05, 2017, 12:28 PM

Hi there,

thanks a lot for the feedback. Always very interesting to get that kind of critics on our work.

Thanks Gary for the details. You’re right about the Chorus, and actually, there’s a first chorus before the lady actually start to sing. But if you didn’t get it, that means it’s not clear enough. So something to work on.
As for the obscenity, it’s definitely not suitable for radio but it works for some gigs and i guess, eventually if necessary i can replace f*** by any other word.

And here are the lyrics just in case:

People walk and surround me
Grabbing their cup of coffee
We all wander the city (In the morning)
Pretending to be free
But I notice a guy in the front row
Holding the hand of some girl I used to know
Useless to say she’s the hottest
That is to say, he’s probably the best

Chorus
Sometimes I want to say “fuck”
Cause I’m not the man with the better luck