Problem with my accent.

Apr 07, 2017, 03:16 AM

Hi all,
I have been struggling with my accent when it comes to recording my songs. I speak 4 different languages where English is not my first language. With this fact, my accent bothers my pronunciation mostly during vocal take and really gets me frustrated. I need some kind of guidance from experts here.

This is one of my sample projects which is still on progress. Lyric already included in the description area:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gV3fYqBFa4

Bear in mind this song is not professionally produced. We did everything at home with limited facilities since this project is just a hobby. I need to retake the vocal, back vocal and harmonies in a proper studio, and put bass in the music.

Cheers,

Ketut Rahmadiana Joined Apr 06, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 07, 2017, 08:54 AM

Hello Ketut,

I listened to your tracks and made some observations, please keep in mind I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, and I am sharing my opinions based on what an average listener might notice.  The music track is obscuring your vocal performance, it is hard to understand what you are trying to convey to your audience, please remember that your audience will not be reading your lyric sheet.  Your musical score sounds good, and I understand this is a rock ballad, however it still seems somewhat long, there is a chance your audience may lose interest in the long run.  You are already aware that some of your enunciation may need some work however I believe you can overcome this.  If you feel uncomfortable with your pronunciation, you may consider having another vocalist sing the lead tracks, you can still do the back tracks and harmonies if you wish.  You can post your lyric in the “Lyrics Library” to get feed back from other site members which may be helpful.  These are just my opinions, meant to hopefully help.  Good luck and best wishes,

Speak soon,

Ron

Music is an international language, say it with a song.

.(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Deacon Joined Aug 30, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 07, 2017, 09:51 AM

The vocal is buried in the mix. The vocal is what you want to feature, up front, easy to hear. All else is arrangement, in support of the vocal. Even guitar solos are buried in the blur. Simplify.

Your voice is low. It doesn’t sound emotional. Have you tried singing in a higher register? Even changing keys to get a more emotive pitch.

At the end the music drops away a bit and your voice was clearer. I didn’t understand the words though.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 07, 2017, 11:36 AM

I agree with Ron and Gary. Even if you fear that your vocals are not great, you need to bring them forward and make them the main thing in the song. It can be hard to do this if you are not confident in your vocals, but you have to be brave about it :) (I know from experience!)

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 07, 2017, 01:04 PM

Another thing you might want to be aware of is PITCH. You are very pitchy throughout most of the song. So the accent doesn’t help things but if you are flat or sharp it doesn’t matter what language you are singing in, it is out of tune in all languages. Are these Karaoke tracks, that you are singing to? In that you might not have much choice in how loud they are mixed and you might be better off trying to get a simple guitar or piano vocal on the song. The tracks are WAY TOO LOUD and as Gary said, you might not be in a good key for your voice.

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 11, 2017, 09:57 PM

Thank you all… will come back for more chat…

Ketut Rahmadiana Joined Apr 06, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 18, 2017, 06:02 AM

“Do you know what a foreign accent is? It’s a sign of bravery.” (Amy Chua)

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 18, 2017, 02:21 PM

Absolutely Martin, do you recall the name of the band back in the eighties from Germany I believe, that had a hit single in the US, singing in their native language?  Not many here in the states knew what they were singing, but the song was still a hit.

Best wishes,

Ron

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 24, 2017, 03:52 AM

@Ron Nelson: Hmm.. an Austrian Singer - called FALCO - had a Billboard Chart Topping hit sung in German/Austrian slang. The song was called “Rock me Amadeus”. As far as I know, the first and only Billboard No. 1 Hit with German lyrics… :)

Er war ein Punker und er lebte in der großen Stadt
es war in Wien, war Vienna, wo er alles tat
Er hatte Schulden denn er trank, doch ihn liebten alle Frauen
Und jede rief “come and rock me Amadeus”

yeah…

Oh, and Nena hit No. 2 on Billboard with “99 Luftballon” in 1982…

[ Edited: 24 April 2017 03:55 AM by Martin G]

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Apr 24, 2017, 06:27 AM

@ Martin, 99 Luftballon was the one I was thinking of, but I will have to check out Rock Me Amadeus, may have heard it too just don’t remember it, Thanks Martin, point being, sometimes an accent or even another language can spark more interest in a well written song.

Speak soon,

Ron

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 07, 2017, 08:47 AM
Gary E. Andrews - 07 April 2017 09:51 AM

The vocal is buried in the mix. The vocal is what you want to feature, up front, easy to hear. All else is arrangement, in support of the vocal. Even guitar solos are buried in the blur. Simplify.

Your voice is low. It doesn’t sound emotional. Have you tried singing in a higher register? Even changing keys to get a more emotive pitch.

At the end the music drops away a bit and your voice was clearer. I didn’t understand the words though.

Agree.

Ugly Truth #1; The vox is EVERYTHING!!!  LOL

I’ve resisted this my entire musical life because singers are bad human beings who show up late, AFTER load in, and bring someone to carry their mic AND are first to the bar afterwards WHILE everyone else loads out AND get ALL the ladies even though they are reprehensible creatures.

The last couple years it finally became obvious, even to me, that good singing can make a wretched song good but weak singing sinks ANY music, no matter how AWESOME the guitars, drums, bass and keys.

And I’ve also learned, because I am learning to sing and thus am forced to admit it, that singing is WAY harder than I ever gave credit for.
But, they could still help with the Marshall’s! After all, they don’t need THEIR fingers to not get smashed. LOL

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM