What is Your Favorite Song in 2017 so far?

2 of 2

Apr 30, 2017, 10:05 AM

Hey Martin,

There is an interesting twist to all this. There is a “Stripped down” movement that has been happening all throughout music. The aforementioned Ed Sheeran, is a rock/pop proponant of this. He does use “loops” and some layering, but much of it is just him. In Contemporary Country, where I am usually centered, there are artists like CHRIS STAPELTON, and MAREN MORRIS, who are very much “throwback” artists, having their records and live shows very much stripped down. There is even a movement in some demo studios to record much more simpler.

it’s all a pendulum. Whenever you have one thing swing in one direction, say homogonized, drum loops, and a lot of technical effects on music. it will swing back, at least in some quarters, and go the other way.

You could look at it through history in many ways. In the early 60’s, when folk music was all the rage, the leader of that movement, Bob Dylan, went “electric.” And of course it created a HUGE wave of consternation, and disgust among his biggest supporters. Pete Seeger, a “grandfather of that movement” got so mad, he was at a huge folk festival, looking for an axe to cut the power chords on Dylan. Of course, with Dylan, the Beatles, the British invasion, the rock acts, of the late 60’s, which led to the Power Rock of Led Zepplin, experimental music of Pink Floyd, and HUGE stage shows,  to a throwback of stripped down,  “Punk” in the early 70’s, which led to the “dance era of “DISCO” which led to the singer songwriter of the late 70’s and 80’s ,and on and on and on….back and forth in all styles of music.

So we are in elements of that. But now there is SO MUCH music out there (at least a billion songs a month and 30-50 million artists) (These numbers are estimated but used by ASCAP, BMI and SESAC, which is where I get them) but there is a LOT of stuff out there. But as everything, there are certain silver linings. There are artists, songs, writers that do create their own niches. Lots of Niches.

So again, in order to answer Faith’s original question, I will expand it a bit. The favorite songs/artists I have heard in a while are:

Maren Morris   “My Church.” A very stripped down, gospel tinged country number about a girl getting in her car, driving and listening to classic country music. Not about relationships, pick up trucks, or any of that other cliched’ stuff.

Chris Stapleton: Nobody to Blame But Me.” Very swampy southern rock and bluesy feels layered into country.

While these have been out for a couple of years, have won awards, created careers, been very successful, they are both examples of a swing back to a more “stripped down” authentic version of country. Far from being the “only thing” out there, they do represent a pretty cool thing.

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 07, 2017, 07:34 PM
Faith H - 13 April 2017 01:34 PM

What is your favorite song released this year? Why?

So I’m a bit of a Pophead so bear with me lol. For me Idc if its EDM, R&B, hip hop, or Country, I’m pretty much a sucker for anything with a catchy hook and emotional vibe lyrically. Music I can feel. So a few songs I really liked this year so far are “Issues” by Julia Michaels and “Scared to be lonely” by Martin Garrix and Dua Lipa. And I’d have to add “That’s what I like” by Bruno Mars. Ill list some reason on what I really liked about them.

“Issues” was produced and co-written by Benny Blanco and what I really liked about it is the song structure of the music. how during the 1st Verse there is No bass and No drums. Just vocals and pizzicato strings. Allowing the song to breathe and grow. Then the bass is introduced in the 1st pre chorus. And then the Drums don’t even kick in until the 2nd verse and when it does you can feel it. I don’t even think there’s a snare used in this song. I really just admire the simplicity of it and how there’s not a lot going on and the vocals stand out. It keeps progressing and creates a good flow. I think the lyrics also match with the music nicely and are pretty relatable. hook is addicting in my opinion.

“Scared to be lonely”  it’s the lyrics and Hook I really liked about his song. I just really connected to the melody of the hook and lyrics “is the only reason you’re holding me tonight, is were scared to be lonely”. The big EDM drop is cool but it’s not why I keep listening to this song. Maybe were all a little scared to be lonely and that’s why it’s relatable.

“That’s what I like and 24k magic” by Bruno Mars I just really loved the production, sonic quality and how the lyrics matched perfectly to the music. I feel like he takes the time to craft the perfect words with the perfect syllables to fit the music and also syncing/matching the emotion of the music with the lyrics. He’s one of my favorite songwriters. But I think the song becomes a bit repetitive because I always end up changing the song before it finishes for some reason.

So I’m probably analyzing this way too much from a producers pov but these are just some of the songs that really caught my attention this year so far.

[ Edited: 07 June 2017 08:55 PM by HeatandSoul]

HeartandSoul

HeatandSoul Joined Jun 07, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 01, 2017, 12:26 AM

Im replying to this thread even though its a bit older (April) its now August. Im not sure if this song is from 2017 but I just heard it a few days ago. The name of the song is “Beautiful Birds”. Its from an artist that calls himself passenger. I need to share to story of how I discovered the song its goea like this…...I went on a songwriters collaboration board to look for someone that I could work with. I put up a 90 sec sound sample ” Sweet Nola” and someone replied. When I asked for a sample of their voice I receaved 2 songs that he stated were live. One of these songs was Beautiful Birds”. After reaearching the song I realized that the original artist was Passenger. The guy that sent me the songs may have been sending me his ” cover sample”. Anyway I heard a new song and will most probably follow the artist music.
I am very diverse in music taste and this just seems like the best song I have heard this year. Ant way I am new here. I figure I sat in the musical closet long enough. I enjoyed everyone post and sound clips.

” I’m just a guy with a Guitar”
      BC Caster

BCCaster Joined Aug 29, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 22, 2017, 03:57 AM

To say lyrics mean nothing any more???  Well that has often been the case with certain individuals

but you cant say that applies to the whole record buying Public

The Beach Boys were great in their day I loved them,  but what I saw on T V re the tour you quote

was very sad ,  Wilson has senile debenture and it showed   Living in the past ??, that is okay but

not being aware of what is out there Today is like giving up ;

If you are aware of the generally poor standard of music coming out of NASHVILLE today you could ask

yourself why has this happened ??  A great Lyric with Great Music will always appeal to the public

instead of the awful flow of Drinking Songs and Songs about Truck Driving,  wow who are these people ?? 

Most are Musical Morons.

However the question of favourite song in 2017   I Would Say ——Could I Steal A Ride To Somewhere—- a

recording sent to my Publisher in 2017

[ Edited: 22 September 2017 04:03 AM by Brad De Younge]

Hi All  

I am A Song Writer Performer based in Europe .I also work for a Publisher

and have spent years at E M I of Hayes U K working in A and R plus Artiste

Development.

Brad De Younge Joined Aug 19, 2012
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 22, 2017, 04:08 AM
Gavin Sinclair - 20 April 2017 06:14 PM

I find that I have very little difficulty in not listening to Ed Sheeran :)

Millions of buyers and listeners would disagree with that comment Gavin

Can you tell us why you dont like him because I am astounded,

Hi All  

I am A Song Writer Performer based in Europe .I also work for a Publisher

and have spent years at E M I of Hayes U K working in A and R plus Artiste

Development.

Brad De Younge Joined Aug 19, 2012
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 22, 2017, 08:00 AM
Brad De Younge - 22 September 2017 04:08 AM
Gavin Sinclair - 20 April 2017 06:14 PM

I find that I have very little difficulty in not listening to Ed Sheeran :)

Millions of buyers and listeners would disagree with that comment Gavin

Can you tell us why you dont like him because I am astounded,

It’s his whiny, simpering voice that grates with me, Brad. Just a matter of taste. Obviously it appeals to huge numbers of people. Also, and I know I will be in the minority here, I think a lot of his songs lack any real melody and many of his lyrics are spoken as if they were significant, but are actually pretty vacuous. He just rambles.

Luckily, he doesn’t have to appeal to me. I’ve heard he’s a really nice bloke.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

2 of 2