Connecting to your Audience

May 26, 2017, 03:21 AM

I can’t count the times that I have critiqued songs that were written very well, but did not connect with me in any way.  For a song to be commercial, it has to connect to me in some way.  Otherwise, I’m asking people to watch a 3 minute home movie.  Even if my song moves me, it also has to connect to the audience in order to move them.  You might appreciate my horribly sad song about my grandmother, but unless it connects you to YOUR grandmother, it probably doesn’t have a chance of commercial success.  Pros are always looking for that connection – a way to make the listener care enough to keep listening. If I give listeners a reason to care, I have a shot.

So True Thanks to Marty Sanders

Peter Kristian Joined Jan 11, 2008
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 21, 2017, 10:40 PM

I must say this post is great. Song connection, I think, is something that upcoming songwriters in particular need to be conscious of all the time. Music listeners simply won’t buy into a song unless they can see themselves – or something about their lives – in the words of it.

Mylène Besançon, Co-founder @ Tunedly

Tunedly connects music creators with the world’s best session musicians to make professional-sounding music online, while making it easier to get heard.

I could go on and on, but it would probably be best if you head over to https://tunedly.com to see what it’s all about.

I’m also a contributing writer on Thrive Global, you can follow me here: https://journal.thriveglobal.com/@mylenebesancon

Mylène Besançon Joined Jun 28, 2015
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 22, 2017, 08:18 AM

Hey Peter,

That’s a good point. Although I work on mostly Pop/Electronic genre styles.
It comes down to me if the listener will listen to the song from start to end comfortably.
In my case I don’t work with long lyrics, but short phrases/chops instead.
So the key for me I think is to catch the attention, and connect with the audience.

Lucas Mengual Joined Jul 16, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM