Please, have at it, folks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d_cDL36A2E&t=35s

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 05, 2017, 08:48 AM

Okay. Got that 70’s folk vibe along with the kick into the “power chords” thing. We used to do that a lot. If I was to make any suggestions, it would be to get to your “kick in” quicker. People don’t have the patience they used to have, and you need to give them more movement in the music earlier. Could benefit from switching the second verse and chorus around, getting to it earlier. Short attention spans.

Glad to see another lefty out there.
Keep at it and keep writing. And of course, find your audience. The most important thing.

Good luck,

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 05, 2017, 09:28 AM

Thank you sir, for taking the time!

That’s the first one we did together and we’re still not settled on arrangement. it started life in my 3 piece blues rock band, power ballad, and weighed in at something over 6 minutes! Lotta guitar solos! LOL

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 05, 2017, 09:43 AM

Yeah, that’s pretty typical. I did the same thing. Endless “Styxx, Boston, Foreigner, etc. Lots of build up, etc. But that was a different era and frankly, the people who did that were pretty amazing at it. I was actually watching a documentary yesterday on PINK FLOYD, who I really like, and took them from their early days of endless jam songs into the DARK SIDE OF THE MOON/WISH YOU WERE HERE Phase where the songs themselves, while still having the solos and experimentation, were still REALLY WELL WRITTEN SONGS. And it was proven, when they went from an “English psychodelic combo” to the BIGGEST BAND IN THE WORLD with those records. Dark Side stayed on the charts for 741 weeks or 14 years. There is a reason. It is called “SONGS.”

And that is a big thing in this day and age. People no longer sit around the bong pipe and get stoned, lay back and LISTEN to music. Music is no longer in the FOREFRONT of our lives. It is in the BACKGROUND of our lives. And those extended intros, turn arounds, waiting 2 minutes before the song kicks in, are gone and dead forever.

I am a bit different in all of that in that I have always been a SINGER. Solos, extended songs, etc. were always just places the guitar players, keyboard players, drummers, etc all GOT IN MY WAY TO SING TO WOMEN!!!! So I was never a fan of all those things. I like SONGS that are tightly written, make a self evident point and have people singing along and remembering. Because if they don’t DO that, they are on past you so fast, you cannot imagine.

This is another aspect of the “get out and find your audience” as well. When the audience is sitting there, with their cell phones glowing in their face, where they are texting or checking Facebook, when you are “playing to the backs of heads” (people talking), or getting up and going to the bathroom, when the venue owner or host, starts giving you the “wrap it up” signal, you start to realize areas of your music you have to look at.

I’d suggest you find a way to get to your hook, (most important thought) faster and make sure the rest of your song is written to that. Not having a lyric sheet, I can’t really make a lot of comments on your lyrics as some of them are hard to hear the way the song is recorded. The “live” recordings often don’t come off well on a YOU TUBE video. You also might think of playing softer during your verses, in order to let her voice come through and she should be reminded that ENNUNCIATION AND DICTION is the most important things she can do.

Okay, that is about all I can do from here. Any more and I have to start putting you on the clock. LOL!

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 05, 2017, 09:56 AM

Thank you, man for taking the time you did!!!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 05, 2017, 11:42 AM

Larry,

I try. I believe that if people care enough to join a web site, participate in that site, and make efforts to get their music out there, I will try to help them when I can. I offer everyone that is here a free critique if they will point the song out or send it to me personally. If you want anymore information or advice, drop me an email at .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) or you can PM me here and I’ll do what I can.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 18, 2017, 03:55 PM

epic is off to a great start, but i really like ‘thank God i’m alive’ :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 19, 2017, 12:23 PM
JAPOV - 18 June 2017 03:55 PM

epic is off to a great start, but i really like ‘thank God i’m alive’ :)

Thanks!

Perfect example of how lucky I have it. The core of the song started out as a warm up (I don’t finger pick so that sort of little trill takes practice for me to do it smoothly with a pick) and it just sounded…pretty. So, I kept noodling it and it felt sort of like a water song, waterfall or something. Then, I was leaning towards rain, a gentle rain.

Through all of this, it sat around for a month or more as simply something I did while she was cooking up a melody to it and, then a couple words formed and “When I wake up…” appeared through the mist and the chorus more or less just followed along. If I like it and she likes it, I just keep playing it and, sooner or later, she brings the magic. I would never have written it that way, couldn’t.

Super simple song. Feels ‘hooky’ to us. Happy, pretty.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 19, 2017, 05:29 PM

it’s great collaborating with someone on a mutual basis. you’re right about that magic, when it
clicks it just clicks! congrats to you both :)

JAPOV Joined Jul 02, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM