Writing it down…

Jun 09, 2017, 10:50 AM

To all;

How do you keep track of a song? I don’t know enough music to actually write everything properly. What I THINK I want is a way to TYPE the lyrics in measure form, e.g, 4 lines of verse one, however many lines of chorus, 4 lines v2, bridge, able to note how many bars the guitar or other solo is, have room to note what chord I’m playing verse by verse, chorus, etc, and room to notate any licks or accent runs that go in it.

What we do now is write it out long hand, it becomes a mess of changes, I simply remember what I’m playing and it all becomes a mish mash of pen or pencil marks.

I want to be able to look at it if we’re recording so I know where I am all the time, same for her. And it to be easy, simple, effective. And it would be great if in sharing with others, it makes some sort of ready sense.

Maybe I’m overthinking it and simply need to just type out the lyrics and make pen or pencil notations from there???

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 09, 2017, 03:37 PM

I don’t put a Song in what Copyright Law calls ‘Fixed Form’ until I’m pretty well settled on the Lyric and Melody and Arrangement.

If there are changes I pencil them in. Once I’m pretty sure I have it the way I want it I may redo it on another page, to eliminate those distractions.

I show the chords over the words as they change.

I’ve seen people use the forward slash / mark as a way / to indicate bars / of four beats.

I also use punctuation. Commas are rests. Periods indicate a full stop and rest until the next line begins. Exclamation points indicate the more urgent and emotional tone of a Chorus and THE Hook. Question marks have implications for tone and pitch.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 09, 2017, 05:44 PM

Thanks, Gary. I think that will work for what we need for rehearsal and recording. That’s my main goal now. I’m learning to sing and, quite often, no one wants to be in the same room to help, for some reason, so, having good notation as I’m playing is important. I’ve found I’ve become rather dependent on her singing to know where I am and that’s a problem when she’s not standing there.

Cheers

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 09, 2017, 07:52 PM

You seem to be using a computer for this. Probably a good idea to use it for that too. Type it out, print several copies, make marks and notations on some of them, some you keep clean. Put “downbeats” “v” where the syllable comes down on. Double space and you can type the chords in above it with any notation. And keep records of the progress on your cell phone or a recorder.

MAB

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 10, 2017, 07:00 PM
Larry Gude - 09 June 2017 10:50 AM

To all;

How do you keep track of a song? I don’t know enough music to actually write everything properly. What I THINK I want is a way to TYPE the lyrics in measure form, e.g, 4 lines of verse one, however many lines of chorus, 4 lines v2, bridge, able to note how many bars the guitar or other solo is, have room to note what chord I’m playing verse by verse, chorus, etc, and room to notate any licks or accent runs that go in it.

What we do now is write it out long hand, it becomes a mess of changes, I simply remember what I’m playing and it all becomes a mish mash of pen or pencil marks.

I want to be able to look at it if we’re recording so I know where I am all the time, same for her. And it to be easy, simple, effective. And it would be great if in sharing with others, it makes some sort of ready sense.

Maybe I’m overthinking it and simply need to just type out the lyrics and make pen or pencil notations from there???

I start with good ol’ yellow legal pads (for lyrics), then tweak ‘em after entering ‘em on the very laptop I write this from.

Pencil is your friend! I’m well nigh 63, and write my lead sheets by hand, instrumentals and with lyrics, both (I also transcribe tunes this way). I LIKE handwriting, checking out other writers’ approaches and touches. So shoot me. The digital world killed that dead—-but, of course, comes in very handy if you need a playback (I don’t, I hear it in my head and update/rewrite) as I go, or are writing for a large ensemble. It’s a time-saver not to have to copy parts in players’ keys. I had Sibelius since ‘04——and when I finally got around to wanting to use it I lost the damn CD! I have MusicScore on my PC, and will get to it eventually for lead sheets. People expect computer-generated lead sheets now, and we can’t hide from the sun. But you can scan a hand-written sheet and email THAT, so that’s the best of both worlds.

I have no PC recording programs, and am famously impatient with and scornful of anything technical—-to my detriment, I’m sure. But I want to hear a real singer and real instruments recorded live to 2-track with as little editing as possible.

Real music in real time performed by real people FOR real people…

‘Charlie Christian got me in a world of trouble’—-me

joel fass Joined Jun 03, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 10, 2017, 07:04 PM

Also, I think it a good idea on lyric sheets to place the syllables where they fall on the rhythm—-in preference to the usual way of putting a sentence per line. It may look funny and take getting used to, and it does break up (hyphenate) words—-but rhythm and timing are king to me. I think it also helps the singer know exactly where the accents are and the stresses in a rhyme…

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2017, 07:48 AM

Thank you all.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2017, 09:54 AM

The best and easiest thing most people use now are their phones. There are “notes” places that you can write lyrics down, and voice message areas you can record what you are doing. For people really into it, they can do camera phone videos, and see what you are doing as you go along. More computing power on modern cell phones, than it took to get to the moon.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2017, 05:24 PM
Marc-Alan Barnette - 11 June 2017 09:54 AM

The best and easiest thing most people use now are their phones. There are “notes” places that you can write lyrics down, and voice message areas you can record what you are doing. For people really into it, they can do camera phone videos, and see what you are doing as you go along. More computing power on modern cell phones, than it took to get to the moon.

MAB

As long as you don’t lose your phone—-and people do all the time, or they are stolen.

I say use a laptop or PC—-if you want to go technical——and BACK THE FILES UP. (Don’t be an idiot like yours truly—-I lost 150 pages of a book about the NY jazz scene of the ‘80s [in which I was a ‘sprout’ and supernumerary] in a laptop wherein the hard drive crashed, and—-you guessed it—-I didn’t back my material up. Now I either have to find a cheap way to fish out that one file or start from scratch. A cautionary tale)...

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2017, 06:49 PM

That’s why they make independent hard drives, thumb drives and other ways of preserving information. Personally I have four back ups, Phone, lap top, hard drive, and I always work with other people and stress that they have copies also.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM