carroll kiphen Joined Feb 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2017, 09:58 AM

Hey Carroll,
I just found this one. This is so beautifully written. I gave it a try and recorded this rough draft. What do you think?

All the best
Robert

Born To Love You
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13584538

Robert Baitinger Joined Jun 01, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2017, 06:08 PM

Really pretty piano. Are you going to leave it that way or add background instruments? Do you think Ian would be a good fit to sing the final version?

carroll kiphen Joined Feb 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2017, 07:22 PM

It reminds me of Randy Newman’s Marie (from Good Old Boys). The rhyme scheme to me suggests a waltz. Is the music in 3?

One thing: I’d be careful about some of those over-used phrases (‘we flow like a river to the sea’, or ‘you are the air that I breathe’). Done to death, and I think you can do way better.

I like it in toto, though. I think with a little paring down editing and losing the cliches you have a real keeper. Again, it would be SWEET as a waltz…

‘Charlie Christian got me in a world of trouble’—-me

joel fass Joined Jun 03, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 11, 2017, 07:24 PM

Now that I’ve heard it (and I like your voice and piano) it DOES work in 4 as a ballad quite well…

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2017, 01:55 AM

Hi Carroll,
Thanks! I’m glad you like it. I didn’t have time yesterday to do more than this stripped down demo. I actually do “hear” a lot of things that one could do with this song. I really depends on who’s going to sing it and what they want it to sound like. Both Ian and Graham would be possible vocalists but it could also be sung by a female vocalist. I already sent it to Tara-Lynn to get her feedback.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2017, 02:06 AM

Hi Joel,
a waltz? Who knows? I’d have to try that to see if that works. I find it extremely interesting how people kind of hear written text differently.

I agree with you about those over-used phrases. Even the song title was a huge hit for Queen/Freddie Mercury. But all of that didn’t really bother me. These lines hit me straight in the face and I immediately started “hearing” a melody while reading them.

The lyrics of Marie contain negative implementations. I wouldn’t sing that song for my girlfriend or wife. Carroll’s song here is much more positive. It reminded me of that Queen song and I had to try really hard to stay away from that one when I composed the music.

Thanks for your kind comments regarding my voice but I’m not a singer and never will be. Thank God someone created Melodyne.

All the best
Robert

http://www.robertbaitinger.de

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2017, 06:47 AM

I don’t hear Marie as ‘negative’ at all. It’s a man coming clean, admitting his faults to the woman he loves—-and declaring his love. Very moving song.

What’s Melodyne? Is that like a mellow dynasty (:?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2017, 07:02 AM

Melodyne is an easy to use audio editing tool. You can use it on instruments and/or vocals. With it my voice is still terrible but at least I hit all the notes correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S7P5FdYtr4

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2017, 07:17 AM
Robert Baitinger - 12 June 2017 07:02 AM

Melodyne is an easy to use audio editing tool. You can use it on instruments and/or vocals. With it my voice is still terrible but at least I hit all the notes correctly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4S7P5FdYtr4

I think mine is beyond even digital help. I may sing a comedy number or a few ballads I can pull off—-live only. I’d never demo a song singing it myself. Talk about a deal-breaker! I know so many wonderful singers, so I just hire THEM. When I do live gigs at places like Smalls in NY, featuring my songs, the gigs are all archived. I’m editing the last one—-chopping out what didn’t work, unneeded patter, etc.—-and that’ll be a demo. Live rules to me. There’s no audience to react to your song in-studio. Unless you drag one in. Maybe a sandwich board?...

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2017, 07:38 AM

Live rules to you and I’m a studio guy. I can’t play a piano properly but in a studio environment with the appropriate piano tools almost anything is possible … as you can hear in this demo. I used EZ Keys for the piano track.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 12, 2017, 04:45 PM
Robert Baitinger - 12 June 2017 07:38 AM

Live rules to you and I’m a studio guy. I can’t play a piano properly but in a studio environment with the appropriate piano tools almost anything is possible … as you can hear in this demo. I used EZ Keys for the piano track.

That’s the problem I have with technology: It’s ‘Janus-faced’—-great in many ways, but enslaving in others. I don’t preach to people, they have reasons for doing what they do, and I won’t put them down. But we’ve all become slaves to convenience, and it makes us IMO dumber and lazier. Maybe it’s part ego, but I’d rather work on getting better at what’s not good than relying on a machine to ‘fix’ it. Then there’s the ‘honesty factor’ vis a vis editing—-plus you lose the freshness and feeling doing retake after retake. The life just gets squeezed out somehow.

OTOH, having said this, one can’t hide from the sun and it’s foolish to stand on ceremony and stubbornness and not use what CAN help. For example, writing big band charts is so much faster using a program like Sibelius—-you don’t have to sit there writing transposed parts (although I miss handwriting even in lead sheets: it lets me see the person’s personality. Digital is ‘faceless’—-everyone’s charts look the same) and playbacks allow you to hear what’s not working (and what IS).

I recorded my solo guitar CD over a year’s time——lots of trips to Lansdale, PA before I finally moved out this way. Some things just went perfect ‘off the top’—-making up arrangements as I went. I’m a jazz player, so improvising is plasma to me. But we also did LOTS of editing: I’m very persnickety and want to do things over once I hear them back (an illness many of us suffer from, I think), or I’d get another idea and wanted to go back to a certain spot and try it. Drove Bobby, my dear friend and recordist, bananas——and thank goodness it was a solo project, I might’ve been murdered if I was that self-indulgent and made people wait around—-I’d NEVER do that. But I came to embrace the editing process eventually and to see recording as a different animal than ‘live’—-more like making a movie. They each have their place, and I’m now glad for both…

[ Edited: 12 June 2017 04:48 PM by joel fass]

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 13, 2017, 01:55 AM

Hey Joel,
you made some pretty good statements. One issue where I think differently is where you’d rather work on getting better at what’s not good, I would rather spend my time on improving what I am already good at – which is my songwriting. Technology has not made me a slave to convenience, nor has it made me dumber or lazier. It has allowed me to unleash my creativity and do things I otherwise would not be capable of doing.

Carroll asked me about additional instruments. Sure, I could add a base, some strings, drums, guitars, etc. even though I don’t play those instruments. I could also invite a vocalist to sing this one for me. If I did all that I would have to spend hours in the studio and I would also have to spend more time on mixing all those tracks. I‘ve done that before on countless occasions. What would I have in the end? The same chords, chord progression, same vocal melody, etc. I would have the same song as I do now. Being a songwriter, I write lyrics nobody has ever written before, compose music nobody’s ever heard before. That’s what I’m good at and that’s my passion. I took Carroll’s lyrics and made them come to life by adding music. I use computer technology to do what I do. Like you wrote … live and studio work both have their place. I’m happy I’ve found mine.

To make sure the song doesn’t get lost in this thread I would like to post the URL of the song demo here once again and add that this is still a very raw version. I more or less wrote and recorded this simultaneously.

BORN TO LOVE YOU: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13584538

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 13, 2017, 10:25 AM

Understood, but many years ago a wise man told me we have to learn to ‘work AGAINST our best qualities’. You know, we know you can do ABC, now let’s try XYZ. Otherwise we don’t grow.

But I’m of 2 minds: You want to do what you do best, especially in public—-but you also never learn if you’re afraid of falling on your derriere embarrassing yourself. Public uncomfortableness can be a great motivator to get it together, but the main thing is to take chances.

As far as tech stuff, I freely admit to being a techno-phobe who fears and doesn’t trust ANY kind of machines, and is scornful of the digital world. I realize that this is largely self-defeating and we can’t hide from the sun—-but I guess old habits die hard.

So I’ll try to ‘get with the program’, but remain rather dark about the people drooling into digital toys and walking into each other and you and me in their spaced-out reverie. (You can look at my lyric Digital Daze elsewhere on this page).

Happy writing!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 13, 2017, 11:24 AM

So, let´s get back to to music, shall we?

it is a nice little song that the both of you have created here. Now the next lines might sound a bit weird, but that´s just my opinion :)

My opinion on the whole thing would be - extend the chorus. The (double) verse is a bit long, the chorus is short. This would be a good “opportunity” to sing the chorus twice as long, with another set of lyrics in the 2nd half of the (longer) chorus and offer a new variation of the melody on the 2nd half…

. A major concern, lyrically, is that the Bridge does not offer any new information ... by hearing the verse and the chorus I already got the picture the singer will love the lady forever… the bridge could offer the REASON why… :)

Apart from that - good melody as always Robert! Nice lyrics Carroll

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 14, 2017, 05:34 AM

Hey Joel,
it looks like we have two wise advisors who think differently :). To me, your ABC – XYZ is not a good example because that kind of implies that if I don’t learn, for example to read and write sheet music, I won’t be able to grow as a musician. As we all know many of the successful artists today can’t read or write sheet music. They can do ABC, but not XYZ. If I figuratively stick to your example, I would need to learn ABC before I go after XYZ.

I have absolutely no ambitions to perform in public. I prefer just being creative. But I fully understand your standpoint. Continue doing what satisfies you and good luck with your songwriting.

Take care
Robert

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 3