Performers Library?

Jun 13, 2017, 08:56 AM

I have a suggestion;

How about a sub forum dedicated to performance?

All of these are predicated on doing the local bistro that has live music every Saturday night, big bar, lotta tables, you’re over in the corner or variations thereof (small time, not actual venues)

How do you do your set list? Best song first? Or last? Ratio of up tempo v. ballads, where to stick in the downer song you just gotta play? What to put before it or after it? Wing it based on how the crowd is?

How long should your set be? How long breaks?

Do you warm up first? How long? Voice, playing?

Timing? How much time between songs, how much banter?

Back up gear? I’ve never broken a string on either acoustic, ever.

Do you do a check list of things to say and when to say them every show, thank the wait staff, try the veal, hello Cleveland, tip your bartender? How you feeling tonights? Solicitation to come get a flyer that has your web site on it? Do you say you do this for a living and you need tips, too?

Dealing with folks who had one or two too many? Requests you don’t know? Audience participation, bringing up someone from crowd to sing along?

How early to get there? When do you eat? At least an hour before? Do you make sure you drink extra water day of?

If the bar is paying you, when do you get paid? After?

We’ve only done open mics, PA and monitors were run by whomever was running the open mic. We show up, we do 4-5 songs, we sit and cheer on everyone else. We’re working on our first actual show and obviously, experience is going to be the teacher here but if anyone feels like sharing their way, I’m all ears!

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 14, 2017, 04:38 AM

Good idea…

‘Charlie Christian got me in a world of trouble’—-me

joel fass Joined Jun 03, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank