MAB presents: BREEZY LOVE, “SMALL TOWN, GREAT BIG HEART”

Jun 22, 2017, 09:57 PM

Hello folks,

I have been asked about what it is I do in my teaching and mentoring services and what the “PRODUCT” I would have to show other people what it is. This is an example.

BREEZY LOVE, is a 15 year old singer/songwriter from Winekta, Illinois. She has been to Nashville on three trips now, working with me on her music, performing, and now recording. She has done my “SONGWRITING TOURS” where I go through the “past, present and future” of the participant. Many people want different things, but Breezy is a good example. Over the past few months we have gone through her songwriting catalog, written four songs and now recorded this one, “SMALL TOWN WITH A GREAT BIG HEART.”

In my teaching methods, I show how to write songs from personal events, people, places, in the artist’s life so they will have a tighter connection with what they write. In this, it was details from her home town, which many of us have seen. If you have seen the movies, HOME ALONE, FERRIS BULLER’S DAY OFF, or ANIMAL HOUSE CHRISTMAS VACATION, this is the town they filmed those movies in, because it looks like the “perfect American Town.”

They have a huge fourth of July event and Breezy is one of the performers this year. We wrote that song for the event. It is how to build hometown fans to help in your overall career and business plan.
This went on YOU TUBE today.

MAB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe2DE7MYl2I

MBarne4908 Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2017, 12:44 PM

Cute! I thought she was going to burst with enthusiasm.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jun 25, 2017, 01:00 PM

That’s what you do at 15 years old and your first “actual recording” and video. She is pretty excitable. And a go-getter. which is why all of that works. You conquer your hometown first and worry about the rest as it comes.

Thanks for viewing.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 16, 2017, 07:39 AM

Ok, that was so sweet it gave me a cavity. LOL

How’d the show on the 4th go, how’d the song go over?

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 16, 2017, 08:09 AM

Thanks for Viewing Larry. I have not met with them since May, so I can’t tell exactly but I think it went very well. What I have gotten is a series of very excited texts from the Mother (Momanger) asking for advice on dealing with the things coming their way. I believe between the 4th show and another show, they have sold around 100 CD/DVD’s, and I believe paid back the cost they put into the trip, recording, etc. And there is a local/regional resturant in that area, that has booked her into a few gigs at their place, which was really the point. That happens at 15=18 year old artists, a lot of the “Aww, isn’t that cute” factor” that goes on. Sort of like being in the “Youth division” of music. And you get a lot of support from friends and family in your home town, which is how you build fan base in the first place. The families always buy some CD’s tell their friends, take them to work, etc. So that is quite normal. The key will be when she gets older, and has to stand on her own. And of course, if she will even be doing this two years from now.

Breezy is a normal teenager, loves music, but is also a sophomore in High school, doing classes, summer school, acting, social clubs, etc. Most of the time, music is just something else they do. It’s why I keep them from spending a lot of money. They immediately wanted to write and record a lot of songs put a full album together, etc. Hold on and go slow! She will write other songs, and many of those will be tossed out after a while to write MORE songs. You always look at these things in the long term.

They will come back here week after next so I will get a more focused report. That is if I can calm the MOTHER down. She is really the normal stage mother whose child is the greatest thing in the world. Taking both her daughters to dance classes, social things neighborhood events.
They are very tied to their home town. She is involved in the PTA,  and all the other things that come with a town like that.

There are quite literally millions of “Breezy’s” out there. I personally work with dozens of them. This weekend I was at the NAMM show here in Nashville. That is the new products showcase from every major manufacturer, retailer, in the world who all come to Nashville for their Convention/showcase. Every guitar, bass, drums, percussion, computer program, lighting rig, amplifier, keyboard, specialty effects, pedals, straps, handmade guitars. (I bought a brand new Australian guitar, a Cole Clark, that I need like a hole in my head, but love it), and every kind of thing you can imagine or NEVER THOUGHT OF. i was there as a demonstrator for a new product called ZYLIA, a small ball shaped device that is nineteen condenser Microphones, that plugs directly into a computer recording system. It can record up to six musicians at a time playing live, and control the bleed and signal of each one. It is amazing, and we were demonstrating it even with the huge noise of NAMM, which is like the worlds largest music store with thousands of people playing, banging, screaming, all at the same time. And this thing WORKS! Great, great product.

There were THOUSANDS of artists walking around some doing demonstrations, some endorsing products. And of course all the “breezy Wanna be’s with their Momangers and Daddingers in tow, looking at all the hot new products. Heard several of them play. Fairly unimpressed by all of them. But that is today. Thousands upon thousands of people all doing the same thing, the same way. Mediocrity reins supreme. And most will be completely OUT of the business (if they ever really get in very much), within a short period of time .

Breezy will have to go through all that. She will have to see just HOW MANY people there are doing this. They will all have to understand that in the end, being a local hero might just be as far as she goes.  Or she could become a regional star. Nothing wrong with that. For now I want her to be a kid, enjoy her life, if she wants to come here, I’ll write with her, and try to help guide them as best as I can.

Will let you know when they are here if you are interested. I am sure she will have things on FACEBOOK, TWITTER and YOU TUBE. They are pretty active in social networking.

Thanks for asking.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 16, 2017, 08:31 AM

Blasphemer!!!! Every single guitar, bass and banjo I have I NEED(ed) to FILL the holes in my head! LOL Hell, I got two (barely, as in different colors) Stats that get different vibes and feels out of me even playing the exact same song. You know how that goes, bro!

I really appreciate how you take pains to get folks to COOL their jets and manage expectations rather than treating them like they actually know what they want and just let them blow money left and right. It’s certainly not in your financial interest to give them that perspective but it speaks to your integrity.

Zylia looks like a good way for them to make a grand so you can tell even MORE people to slow down!!  “Dude, we sound amazing live!!!”

Could to explain how you impacted her song writing, without giving away too much of your business knowledge? Generally speaking?

Geek note; she and I use the same capo. LOL

Larry Gude Joined May 23, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 16, 2017, 09:59 AM

“SPECIAL NOTICE”. At times I seem to be described as “self serving” and all about “ME” over here. And that is NOT MY INTENTION. I do enjoy talking about things I am involved with and hopefully show some “other ways” to be involved with music, musicians songwriters, venues, audiences, etc. Pretty much anything musical in general but specifically in the business side of NASHVILLE, where I have lived for nearly 30 years. So I want everyone to know that LARRY GUIDE ASKED FOR THIS!!!! THAT IS MY DISCLAIMER.

It was pretty insane. NAMM (NATIONAL Association of MUSIC MERCHANDISERS) is basically SANTA’S WORKSHOP AND DISNEYLAND for anyone with even a passing interest in music. There are two of them, one in Annaheim, California in January, (Winter NAMM) and Nashville in July (Summer NAMM). It features around a thousand booths in CA. about 550 here, filled with everything you can ever imagine, from every guitar that you ever dreamed about, those that you saw your heroes play growing up that made you want to play guitar in the first place, every kind of bass, keyboard, amplifier, drum set up, electronic toys and gadgets, and just everything you could ever envision and things you NEVER envisioned.

And chock full of every kind of musicians, songwriter, producers, etc. When I was in New Orleans in 1985 as an endorser for RICKENBACKER (won a major battle of the bands contest the year before and we were involved in promoting Rick, products), I LITERALLY RAN INTO JOHN ENTWISTLE, THE BASS PLAYER FOR THE WHO. I mean really RAN INTO HIM. I nearly knocked him on his butt. We were both walking toward each other, not paying attention because you just look in awe at all the COOL STUFF, and I just slammed into him. I managed to grab him before he hit the ground. I could see that headline “Birmingham Alabama bass player, sabatoges the WHO.” That would have been fun.
I was also at the booth when ELLIOT EASTON, from the band THE CARS, came by to listen to me play. WE are both left handed and Rickenbacker was making a special guitar for him, the display model that I was playing. Was in interesting conversation on the difficulties of being backward in a right handed society.

So it is A HUGE DEAL. In Nashville, of course there are plenty of celebrities. I got to say hi and shake hands with JAMES BURTON, Elvis’s guitar player, attend a panel discussion with TONY BROWN and DAVID BRIGGS, who were Elvis’ keyboard players, and just hob knob, with a lot of people. I tend to be somewhat well known in Nashville and could barely walk three of four feet without running into someone I know or calling my name from some demonstration booth. Was a lot of fun.

But it is NOISY. Imagine if you have ever been in a music store on Saturday, with every 15 year old in the world playing a les Paul through a Marshall stack, keyboards going on, drums banging, all different noises at the same time. Multiply that by about a million times, put a Jet aircraft warming up on the run way and THE WHO playing through six Marshall stacks and you kind of have that going on. And there were nearly 600 BOOTHS!!! So it was pretty crazy. There were several lefty guitars from Taylor, Martin, Fender, and other companies and I played most of them. The reps actually liked me dropping by because many of the lefties weren’t in tune, so I was able to tune everything I was around.

This one company Cole Clark, is from Australia, and I have a friend from Perth who lives here who knew them. They are beautiful, handmade, natural finishes, made from Australian trees. Absolutely beautiful and very distinctive looking. If you can imagine a very fine hardwood floor, that is what they look like. As I visited the booth, some people I knew, goaded me into playing on their stage. Doesn’t take a lot. So before long there was quite a few people standing around as I played four of my songs along with a thirteen year old kid playing one of their basses. Was an interesting jam session and you would be astounded at how good some of these 12 and 13 year old players are. Make you want to quit music.
Immediately, the guy started dropping his prices, and before the three days were over I had a $2500 guitar at just over a Thousand. With all the stress lately with my Mother’s death, memorials of friends and doing this, I felt I DESERVED IT. So I got it. Besides, my Birthday is THURSDAY, SO HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!!!!! LOL!
So now I have a “FAT LADY” COLE CLARK concert dreadnaught to add to the ten other guitars I have. Gonna need a bigger room.

The product I repped, ZYLIA, is one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen. It is nineteen condenser mics all on one softball sized ball. It goes into a computer program which discovers where you are standing and zeros the mic toward you. And it has very nice separation. People, especially small groups or combos like bluegrass people can stand around one mic and record live/ They can equalize the sound, direct solos, and mix as they go. Quite astounding. Myself and one of the singers I work with, Bonnie Lee Panda would sing about every two hours, a couple of songs, and demonstrate through the head phones the quality and capabilities. The response was amazing, with people dropping by listening, magazines doing interviews, filming what we had going on. Then yesterday at the “NAMM AWARDS show” it was voted BEST NEW PRODUCT TO WATCH AT NAMM. Out of 2000-5000 new producrts, that is a pretty big honor. The guys from Poland, who invented this thing,were really rewarded .Great guys and we had a lot of fun. I was paid well and I believe will be representing them for a while. They are going to use a few of my songs on their software package when people purchase it. So it will inadverently be a pitch on songs as well.

If you want to view it, go to http://www.zylia.co. A really great product and some of you might have an interest.

So that’s what I did on my summer vacation. LOL! I’ll break this up to get more to your question.

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Jul 16, 2017, 10:17 AM

“Could to explain how you impacted her song writing, without giving away too much of your business knowledge? Generally speaking?”
Larry Guide.

There is NOTHING THAT I DO THAT IS A SECRET. Anyone can find this out, although it might take them decades to do so. And since most people QUIT OR GO BROKE long before that, they probably would NEVER find out about it.

My job with these people are to instruct them on PROCESSES that professional writers and the industry use in their own writing. I try to get them to look at the REALITY around them and find ways to inject that into songs. Then I try to keep them AWAY from NEGATIVE toned songs because that is more appealing to general audiences who are inundated with doom, gloom, depression and despair on an every day basis in real life. I mean, come on, you WATCHED THE NEWS LATELY? Anyone actually think ANYONE wants to hear MUSIC about that garbage? Think again.

Then I try to steer them away from the cliched, overused things everyone else does. So in the songwriting, I try to find subject matter, and show how that works. From there, I work with them on everything, performance, production recording, networking, business. My “Tours” are about far more than just “Showing them where the writers nights are.” In a town full of thousands of writers trying to play those nights, most have to wait till one or two in the morning to play one song. So I actually get them onstage, and then help them have things WORTH getting onstage with.

With Breezy, in this instance “SMALL TOWN WITH A GREAT BIG HEART” it was application. She had this show already coming up. She wanted to write something about her town. A 15 year old girl can’t really convincingly write about love, because she has never dated, and she doesn’t want to go “SEXY” because it is age innappropriate. So we write songs about things she knows about. Her town and growing up. In the song, if you watch the video, you basically see what it is. And that is how we wrote the song. She and her sister, who is two years younger, simply laundry listed things about their town, the discovery by the Potawattie Indians, the history The filming locations used in Ferris Bueller’s day out and Home Alone. It was quite easy because the town represents AMERICA. And if you are doing a song for the FOURTH OF JULY, it is a no brainer.

In working with her three times now, I see her be more selective in the subject matter she brings in. So how I am having an impact on her songwriting is in LOOKING AT LIFE AROUND HER and COMPILING IDEAS. You see, the ultimate idea is that if she is going to have a Nashville presence, she is going to have to WRITE WITH A LOT OF PEOPLE. In order to do that, she has to be very good in her skill set. So that hit and established writers not only want to write with her but help PROMOTE HER TO THEIR CONTACTS.

So that is the way I do things Larry. That song was written on a tour she did in March, then came back in May to record it. I took it to a friend of mine’s studio, who played 12 different instruments on it. I played guitar, and did background vocals. We ended up with a full band recording for $300 that many people would have spent about $1500-$2500 on. And in the bargain, in the studio that day was a guy who is a computer/social networking expert, so they got someone to do her web site, help them with video, and promotion.

Hopefully, when she comes back, she will have more ideas and we will see where it goes. I won’t have her record again until we have quite a few songs to pick the best of. Then she can do a full CD, EP (more what I want her to do) and see what happens next. In the mean time she has this video for her web site and YOU TUBE, is getting views and building her audience when she plays these other gigs. She has also been asked to perform another song we wrote “AFTER THE CURTAIN CLOSES” before each of her school’s plays. (which she is also in.)

So if you want to know what I do and how I do it, that kind of sums it up. But I keep them moving slow and methodical. If she keeps advancing, I will turn her over to other people, managers, publishers, agents, etc. that can help her go the next steps. I get them going then step out of the way. I’m not a baby sitter, manager or any of that. I am a coach and mentor. I try to get them on the road and then see where they go.

So that is it. Hope you have read through all this and understand.

By the way, I spent everything I made at the NAMM show, ON THAT GUITAR!!!!  Am I a MUSICIAN OR WHAT?!!!! LOL!!!

MAB

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM