Melodyne now included in Mixcraft

1 of 2

Aug 04, 2017, 02:12 PM

A while ago, Robert Baitinger turned me on to the capabilities of Melodyne as a pitch correction tool. I just found out that Melodyne Essentials is included in the PRO edition of the Mixcraft 8 DAW. It operates inside the DAW, which is really neat. If you already use Mixcraft, as I do, it is just as cheap to upgrade to PRO as it is to buy Melodyne as a stand-alone program. Every so often Mixcraft has a promotion that makes it actually cheaper than the stand-alone version.

I haven’t been using Melodyne much because it is a bit of a pain to have to export a vocal track, work on it, and then re-import it into the DAW. Also, of course, I always sing perfectly in tune, so I don’t need it. All those bum notes you hear on my tracks - I’m doing that deliberately.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 07, 2017, 05:59 PM

...and I just found out that Mixcraft 8 Pro Studio also includes Izotope Mastering Essentials. I think it’s similar to Izotope Elements, which I was thinking of getting too on Martin G’s advice.

I believe that there is going to be a promotion later this month. I will probably upgrade then.

By the way, I’m not promoting Mixcraft. It may be that other DAWs are doing the same. I’m just impressed with what they are able to offer in this latest version for a relatively modest price.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 08, 2017, 02:45 AM

I was trying to do some research. According to a press info I found, the Mastering Esentals were introduces 2012 as part of the Acoustica Mixcraft Pro Studio 6. Unfortunatly I was unable to find out what´s included ... I think it´s just some plug-in´s and not the whole programm (like Ozone, Neutron or the Vocal Production Suite).

I have to admit, I haven´t heard anything about “Mixcraft” before :)

“Melodyne” is a good programm. It offers two versions. The “stand alone” Version (Audio files need to be exportet out of the DAW and importet into Melodyne) and a “Melodyne Bridge”, that works in the DAW. Altough I heard, that the “stand alone Version” is more precised with less background noise. In the “Bridge Version” Vocals are “transfered” from the DAW into the melodyne plug, so IF there are any background-noises on the vocal takes, they will be transfered as well and shown as “notes”...

...every once in a while, I get in the mood or so…and start to play..

http://www.songcycle.org

Martin G Joined May 27, 2009
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 08, 2017, 04:00 AM

Hey Gavin,
I’m looking forward to hearing some new recordings from you with Melodyne. You can use that tool to create harmony vocals as well. I always export my vocal track (without effects), edit them with Melodyne and upload the edited track back into my DAW.

Isotope Ozone is also a cool piece of software ... very useful when you mix a track.

Have fun…

Robert

Robert Baitinger Joined Jun 01, 2006
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 08, 2017, 10:13 AM
Martin G - 08 August 2017 02:45 AM

I was trying to do some research. According to a press info I found, the Mastering Esentals were introduces 2012 as part of the Acoustica Mixcraft Pro Studio 6. Unfortunatly I was unable to find out what´s included ... I think it´s just some plug-in´s and not the whole programm (like Ozone, Neutron or the Vocal Production Suite).

I have to admit, I haven´t heard anything about “Mixcraft” before :)

“Melodyne” is a good programm. It offers two versions. The “stand alone” Version (Audio files need to be exportet out of the DAW and importet into Melodyne) and a “Melodyne Bridge”, that works in the DAW. Altough I heard, that the “stand alone Version” is more precised with less background noise. In the “Bridge Version” Vocals are “transfered” from the DAW into the melodyne plug, so IF there are any background-noises on the vocal takes, they will be transfered as well and shown as “notes”...

Martin, I don’t understand what you mean about the difference between exporting and transferring when it comes to background noise. Surely the vocal track that you export to the standalone version of Melodyne would also have any background noise picked up while you recorded it. The video I saw about Melodyne in Mixcraft stated that Melodyne makes a copy of the vocal track, you work on that in Melodyne, and then bring it back into the main Mixcraft window.

I think Mastering Essentials is something like Ozone Elements. At least I hope so. It seems to offer about the same number of presets and allows you to tweak them, which i how I envisioned myself using Ozone Elements.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 08, 2017, 10:15 AM
Robert Baitinger - 08 August 2017 04:00 AM

Hey Gavin,
I’m looking forward to hearing some new recordings from you with Melodyne. You can use that tool to create harmony vocals as well. I always export my vocal track (without effects), edit them with Melodyne and upload the edited track back into my DAW.

Isotope Ozone is also a cool piece of software ... very useful when you mix a track.

Have fun…

Robert

Hi Robert. For the harmonies, do you just move the sung notes up or down in Melodyne to the harmonic notes?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2017, 07:15 AM

Gavin,

my apologies, me english no good, me german good :(

The big difference betweet exporting and “trasfering” is: IF you Transfer the vocal out of the DAW into the Melodyne PLUG-in, the Plug recording and analyzing every note. So it records and alalyzes everything. Even the Background noises - clearing the through, breathing ... every noise is recorded, analyzed and shown as a “note”. So if there are many Background noises, it becomes a bit a of mess - because there are “notes” all over the place. Sure, you can hear Background noises either way, but in the plug in Version you can see them as well.

For the harmony: It is possible to “copy” the vocal line, or parts of the vocal lines, or even a single vocal line, and move the notes around. Robert is an expert how to create a harmony out of this.

Izotope vocal production Suite for examples offers Kind of a “harmonizing function”. For example… you can sing an “A”, play a “C” on the Keyboard… and out of thin air, there´s a two-part harmony ...

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2017, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the explanation Martin. That is very weird. I can’t think why they would make the plug-in work this way. At their website, Melodyne emphasizes the plug-in options. Strange that they would do this if it doesn’t work as well.

This video from Mixcraft doesn’t seem to show any problem like that.
http://www.acoustica.com/mixcraft/v7/help/mixcraft-using-melodyne.html

I’ll let you know what I find out when I have it. Still waiting for that sale :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2017, 03:05 PM

Gavin: I saw a demonstration Video, where this problem did not occured. I don´t know if it´s only my problem, because of the reason that my recording equipment is so good, that it delivers every breath I take, and every move I make - ... and melodyne does not know how to filter it.

But it could also be possible, tht I simply don´t know what I am doin. That´s the reason why I almost never use all this technical stuff :)

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 16, 2017, 06:50 AM

Hi Gavin,
I often make a copy of my original vocal track and as you described, in the new track I just move the sung notes in Melodyne to the harmonic notes. If you then run your original vocal track in synch together with your melodyned vocal track in your DAW you will hear the harmony. If you make a third or fourth copy of your original vocal track and modify them appropriately you can then easily create complex vocal choirs.

Melodyne works best with “dry” vocals – with no effects. That might be the explanation why the plug-in doesn’t work well. Within a DAW you normally use reverb, hall, etc. on a vocal track.

All the best
Robert

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 16, 2017, 11:34 AM

Thanks Robert. I figured that was probably what you were doing. Sounds like fun!

As I understand it, in Mixcraft it should be easy enough to take the dry vocals into Melodyne, either before adding effects or by disabling them, work with the vocals in the plug-in, and then apply effects after bringing the Melodyned track back into the main Mixcraft window.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 17, 2017, 01:38 AM

Hey Gavin,
I didn’t tell you the whole harmony story. Melodyne is primarily used to correct glitches in your vocal recording – fixing notes that are slightly off target. When you use Melodyne to create a harmony track you’re making major corrections. That sometimes sounds a bit unnatural. So what I normally do is I invite the vocalist once again to sing the melodyned vocal track. That way I can experiment with the harmonies as long as I like with Melodyne and then I can efficiently record the track with the vocalist later on.

All the best
Robert

http://www.robertbaitinger.de

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 17, 2017, 10:46 AM

Good idea, Robert. I mostly end up singing my own stuff because Adele says she’s busy. This would be a good way to be able to listen to a line of harmony before attempting to sing it, which is something I’ve never done.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 28, 2017, 09:51 AM
Gavin Sinclair - 04 August 2017 02:12 PM

A while ago, Robert Baitinger turned me on to the capabilities of Melodyne as a pitch correction tool. I just found out that Melodyne Essentials is included in the PRO edition of the Mixcraft 8 DAW. It operates inside the DAW, which is really neat. If you already use Mixcraft, as I do, it is just as cheap to upgrade to PRO as it is to buy Melodyne as a stand-alone program. Every so often Mixcraft has a promotion that makes it actually cheaper than the stand-alone version.

I haven’t been using Melodyne much because it is a bit of a pain to have to export a vocal track, work on it, and then re-import it into the DAW. Also, of course, I always sing perfectly in tune, so I don’t need it. All those bum notes you hear on my tracks - I’m doing that deliberately.

Melodyne in Mixcraft 8 is awesome! I had purchased Melodyne essentials 6 months before Mixcraft 8 came out….kind of wasted my money but who knew it would come bundled with the upgrade to Mixcraft. I don’t know why Mixcraft seems to be ignored or not heard of. It’s a darn powerful and economical DAW.

Tony Pistilli Joined Apr 13, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 28, 2017, 09:55 AM

The great thing about Melodyne within Mixcraft is that it works just like any other plugin. You just adjust everything how you want it and it is done. you do not even have to save your changes…it’s just finished. I usually mix it down to a new track to save cpu resources although it doesn’t seem to be a computer hog. Very fast and easy. I can usually process a whole vocal in about 20 mins. Unlike Gavin, I don’t sing in perfect pitch….lol

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 28, 2017, 09:57 AM
Robert Baitinger - 16 August 2017 06:50 AM

Hi Gavin,
I often make a copy of my original vocal track and as you described, in the new track I just move the sung notes in Melodyne to the harmonic notes. If you then run your original vocal track in synch together with your melodyned vocal track in your DAW you will hear the harmony. If you make a third or fourth copy of your original vocal track and modify them appropriately you can then easily create complex vocal choirs.

Melodyne works best with “dry” vocals – with no effects. That might be the explanation why the plug-in doesn’t work well. Within a DAW you normally use reverb, hall, etc. on a vocal track.

All the best
Robert

You are correct. That’s why I do my Melodyne work first. Then it’s done and you go about your usual mixing process.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

1 of 2