Do soundclick.com ratings mean anything?

Aug 09, 2017, 10:11 AM

I’ve read up on soundclick ratings and it seems from comments that their algorithm is not up to par or if you pay for higher membership you can get phantom “plays” of your song to increase your chart ranking….reason I’m asking is I’m a fairly new songwriter (4 years) and just got on soundclick.com a few days ago and definitely not paying anything and my song has been rising in the charts quite a bit. Yesterday I was #9 in Pop - Contemporary Christian and #37 in Pop overall. Today, I’m at #5 and #25 overall. Just wondering if it’s anything to get excited about.
Thanks,
Tony P

btw…the name of the song is “You Found Me”....feel free to give it a listen….(shameless plug…lol)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13609923

Tony Pistilli Joined Apr 13, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 09, 2017, 05:42 PM

HI Tony.
Does Soundclick list how many plays you’ve had? I would think that you’d be able to judge the impact of your song if you knew how many plays you had. On SoundCloud, the most plays I ever had on a song was a little over 400 (for In my Blood) and 300 something (for I Cry No More). “I Cry” had quite a few plays in the first week, but it never appeared anywhere on the charts where songs need 10s of thousands of plays. I would imagine knowing how many plays you got would help you judge.
Jen

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 09, 2017, 05:45 PM

Thanks Jen….I don’t know but doubt it. I’m sure it’s nowhere in the 100’s. Probably just because it’s new. Still made me feel good for a bit though…lol.
Tony

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 09, 2017, 10:03 PM

As it should, Tony. That’s pretty cool.

https://soundcloud.com/jennystokes-nz
http://www.evansandstokes.com

“One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain”
- Bob Marley

Jenny Stokes Joined Sep 24, 2015
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2017, 09:42 AM

Made it to #2 on the Contemporary Christian genre and #15 in all of pop yesterday….fell off to #4 & #16 today.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2017, 09:46 AM

Tony, I think you need to translate this into its effect on your lifestyle and self-esteem.

1. Are you now rich?
2. Are you now famous?
3. Do more women want to sleep with you?
4. Do more men want to sleep with you?
5. Has success changed you or are you still the same old Tony from the block?

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2017, 09:50 AM

Hahahahahaha! That is freakin’ hilarious. Ummm let’s just say it encouraged me enough not to quit writing songs for a while…

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2017, 01:14 PM

One of the problems with any online charts, are that “Clicks” “Listens” and “Views” don’t always mean people listen to the entire song. As a matter of fact, many songs that get millions of hundreds of millions of “hits” and “streams” don’t always translate to Money. Which is why so many of these songs that are huge hits on SPOTIFY, PANDORA, and other charts, don’t translate to a lot of money. Many times people don’t listen to the entire song. Just click on it, view a few seconds and then move on to something else. Many will click on something and only listen to a few seconds of it. So the fact that you are getting a lot of views, or clicks, and rising in the charts (since activity is what they chart with) means you might be getting attention but might not mean you are getting much activity like sales outside of that. If you are not a performing songwriter, you probably won’t get a lot more than that, but hey, that is more than a lot of people do so you take those victories. Hopefully you can build your own fan base for that and it will take you in other directions.

The same thing happens with “Facebook” Likes. For years, Record labels would pay a lot of attention to “friends” on Facebook. It was part of a fan base. But over the years that has decreased because so many people only “like someone” so they will “like them back” and thereby build their numbers. That doesn’t correspond with sales, butts in seats, or anything tangible. Just a bunch of people clicking a mouse and registering something. There are even many programs and companies, building algorhtyms, charging money to get the “likes” up. It’s pretty much meaningless.

What means anything in music is ACTUAL CUSTOMERS. Those are people who actually PURCHASE YOUR PRODUCT, BUY TICKETS TO SEE YOU AND BUY YOUR MERCHANDISE. Everything else is more or less superficial. Has an effect, as if you hit a certain level, say top ten on any charts of getting you more attention and bringing that attention to FUTURE things you might do. It’s always a nice pat on the back, and should prove you are at least doing something correctly. But you can’t take it for a lot more than that. Enjoy seeing where it goes, then keep going and build upon what you are doing.

A career is a cumulative amount of work, not one or two things that happen. Even for people that have huge number one and very successful songs, they don’t rest on those laurels for long. They are always trying to come back with the next one. You are only as hot as your last record.

So congratulations on what you have done and keep building upon it.

Good luck,
MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2017, 03:28 PM

Marc,
Thanks for the detailed response. That’s pretty much how I figured it. But like you said, at least it gives the confidence a little boost…and what songwriter doesn’t need that once in a while, right? I know that soundclick doesn’t count the song as listened to unless it was listened to for a minimum of 2 mins….it’s all good.
Tony P

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 11, 2017, 03:53 PM

Tony,

EVERYTHING IS A VICTORY, and you ALWAYS take your victories. The fact that you HAVE achieved respectable chart position is a very good thing and you should be proud of that. We are always wanting something more, that is a natural desire. We want our music to be heard by as many people as we can. So don’t downplay what you have achieved. That is a VERY GOOD THING. Congratulations.

But like most everything in the music business, it can always be fleeting. Once a few hundred years ago, I won a Nationwide talent contest. Was a great time. A lot of press, a lot of hoopla, mentions on rock music’s MTV, etc. Got to play “Rock star” for a little bit. But like all contests, they are contests and after a while tend to run out of gas and they go on to OTHER CONTESTS.

The biggest problem with everything that has to do with the Internet, is that everything we do are just MOMENTARY BLIPS OF ELECTRONIC DATA. Almost the second something achieves something, it is passed by something else. Like that old Andy Warhol quote, “Everyone will be famous for fifteen minutes” I think now it is “Everyone will be famous for FIFTEEN MILLISECONDS!”  LOL!

The point I am trying to make from my perspective is that you take that, and build upon it. You are learning about charts and making some inroads, so discover what you are doing right and keep at that. And keep shooting for the top no matter what you do. But keep your expectations achievable.
Again, good luck.

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 12, 2017, 12:51 PM

Thanks Marc.

• Rank