Gillian

Aug 09, 2017, 07:26 PM

One of those melodies that I’ve been carrying around with me, together with half the lyrics, since I was a kid banging away on an out of tune piano with an out of tune voice, which I have faithfully reproduced here. I’m not a singer, but I’m not too proud to give it a go :)

https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5/gillian

This is a first stab at it. Once I get Melodyne to fix my wandering vocals, it might be a bit better, but I thought now would be a good time to get comments and suggestions, while it’s still at an early stage.

GILLIAN

Gillian
It’s such a shame
He broke your heart, then left to start
Again
A heart can fill
With love until
It breaks
Lord, I know how that aches
There’s a fire, burning higher
Shooting sparks into your brain
Oh little darling
Come on dry your eyes
Nobody should be so unhappy

One day I’ll find him
One day he’ll pay
No one can do what he did to you
He’ll see
A heart can fill
With pain until
It bursts
But you won’t be the one who hurts
No good running, because I’m coming
And he’ll wish he’d not been born
He hurt my baby
Revenge is best served cold
Cold as the heart that hurt my baby

[ Edited: 11 August 2017 09:49 AM by Gavin Sinclair]

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 15, 2017, 05:46 AM

I love this Gavin,

so simple, but very catchy in a way. Nice arrangement. Put a smile on my face immediately. There it is again: Don`t try to re-invent the wheel, keep it simple find a catchy melody & lyrics and there you are. The bass is a bit to loud in my opinion though. Cheers!

MartinW Joined Dec 29, 2013
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 15, 2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the kind words, Martin. Some folks begin with a riff, but for me it’s always the melody first.

Anyone else agree about the bass being too loud? I am experimenting with new mastering software and still finding my feet. I’ve now heard it too often as I worked on it to be able to judge.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 21, 2017, 08:32 PM

Martin, I remastered it with the new Izotope software. The bass is a bit less loud. What do you think?

http://mysteriousbeings.com/portfolio/gillian/
or
https://soundcloud.com/gavin-sinclair-5/gillian

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 22, 2017, 05:55 AM

I think it`s better now, Gavin. What I like to do when I`m not sure about some frequency ranges in my mix is to compare it with a reference track from the same genre with a Match EQ. Works great in most cases.

With your voice, I would recommend to set a Lowcut Filter ( around 110Hz maybe) to roll of the rumbling low end.

MartinW Joined Dec 29, 2013
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 22, 2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks Martin. I think my rumbling low end might be due to the Indian meal I had a couple of nights ago, although I am slightly alarmed that you can hear it all the way from Germany :)

I am a bit of an idiot beginner when it comes to EQ. What do you mean by “to roll of the rumbling low end?” By a low cut filter, do you mean basically eliminate all frequencies below this?

I hadn’t heard of a Match EQ, so I googled the term. Sounds like a great tool. My DAW doesn’t provide one, so I will probably have to search for a suitable plug-in. Thanks for the tip!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 24, 2017, 11:14 AM

I downloaded the free TDR Nova Parallel Dynamic Equalizer, which seems to be a really neat plug-in. I haven’t figured out how to make best use of its capabilities yet, but it was easy enough to create the low cut filter (high pass) that you mentioned. And yes, I think it does help. I set it at 100 Hz with quite a gentle slope. I also took out a little of a couple of other frequencies, based on hints I found on the Internet.

Thanks for your suggestions, Martin. Much appreciated. It’s a constant learning process for me!

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 26, 2017, 06:39 PM

Good one Gavin. Is it me or are your mixes getting better. Not that they were bad before because they weren’t, but this one sounds great!

John Evans Joined Oct 01, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 10:18 AM

The mixes probably are getting a wee bit better, John. I’m still pretty much a novice in that area, but I’ve taken the advice of a couple of people here on a couple of things and also snapped up the basic version of Izotope Ozone, which makes mastering a whole lot easier. It probably shows in this one.

In fact, I’m going to go back and redo some earlier stuff using what I now know and the tools I have.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 18, 2017, 09:35 PM

your songs make me smile, Gavin, and this one is no exception. I really have no complaints.

- kudos to Gene and Juan. ;)

and yeah, nice job on the production!

Brad Jaggard Joined Jun 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 19, 2017, 12:28 PM

Thanks Brad. Juan says, “Hi,” and Gene says you owe him 50 bucks. He says that to everyone, hoping that they’ll think maybe they’ve forgotten about something they got from him years ago and pay up. He’s a pretty good pianist but a lousy human being.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Sep 19, 2017, 02:06 PM

HA! Let Gene know that the check is in the mail!

Brad Jaggard Joined Jun 22, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM