Martha’s Vineyard Songwriting Fest

Aug 12, 2017, 09:53 PM

http://marthasvineyardsongwritingfest.com/

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 13, 2017, 10:36 AM

Glad you posted this Gary. For anyone near this area, it would be well worth your time. I was involved in the first one and the main driver behind it, Matt Casey, is one of my former clients. This is a classic example of CREATING SOMETHING AROUND YOU WHEN YOU CAN’T FIND ANYTHING ELSE.

Around 2007, I was heavily involved in the NSAI (Nashville songwriters’ Association International) web site, as an adviser, and “Dear Abby” for songwriters. One of the guys on the thread started asking some pretty pointed questions about Nashville and the overall songwriting game. Much like people here, his comments were on how hard it was to break in to the Nashville market, and how, not being a singer, he was searching for methods to get his songs “out there.”

After a month or so of back and forth, he contacted me personally. His name was MATT CASEY, from the Jamacia Plains section of Boston. He was a co-owner of a business that acted in a “headhunter capacity” linking up medical college graduates with hospital jobs. His travels, of going to Medical conventions,  took him through Nashville and he was trying to maximize his songwriting efforts. Being a lyric only writer, he needed to find people to get his lyrics to music, and the only route he had was through the “put your lyrics to songs” route, that many go with studios or other avenues.

He ended up doing one my tours, and we began to assess what he had. He had spent years writing a book about LOSING SPORTS TEAMS in the city of Boston (for a long time they ALL LOST, the PATRIOTS, THE CELTICS, RED SOX) and he had grown up with dissappointment. He had spent 7 years on the book and in the “wouldn’t you know it” department, THEY ALL STARTED WINNING! So the book ended up meaning nothing. He had to turn his creative efforts to something else, so songwriting interested him. A Google search directed him to NSAI, and that directed him to me.

Over the next few years, he would come in regularly to Nashville, working with me, meeting people I introduced him to, writing and recording songs, and created his own presence. He also created a FACEBOOK group called NETN. (NEW ENGLAND TO NASHVILLE) and started attracting people from the New England area. Before you knew it, he had gathered over 200 writers, artists, interested people, to his Facebook group.
He started putting on shows, both in The Boston area, and the Nashville area. He would always do them for a charity, and pack the rooms.
He funded everything himself and just stayed at it.

In 2010 one of his songs written with two writers in Nashville, “Plain White Tee” won the NSAI songwriting contest, and he started connecting with publishers and other entities in Nashville. That is when he came up with the idea of THE NEW ENGLAND SONGWRITERS FESTIVAL. Which I warned him was a MONEY LOSER. But he was undaunted and since his parents owned a very nice house in Martha’s Vinyard” (that is the house in the pictures, a beautiful place with a pool, and next to a horse farm), and he started putting together plans.

In 2012 we had the first one, which I was the kick off pro. It was like all of them, small attendance, but fun. A beautiful setting and Matt works his butt off for everything.

Five years later it has turned into a very special event, and that is what you are seeing in this ad. Matt has branched out to having a publishing company, artists booking company and has become a songwriting media mogul. He is a whirlwind of activity, and anyone interested in creating your own niche ,would do good to follow and learn about him. He has done it.

So anyone that thinks “There is no one around me” as far as co-writers, interested people artists, just need to look at this web site and see what can be created when someone thinks “There has to be someone out there like me.” There always is.

Thanks for posting Gary and I hope some people in that area, can check out the Martha’s Vinyard area. If you like unbelievably gorgeous settings, amazing food, and a tremendous mixture of eager beaver songwriters, and experienced pros ,this one is for you.

Get em’ Matt. You done good boy.

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM