J.S.M - circles

Aug 13, 2017, 07:53 PM

Hi, I’m new in this forum.
I’ve written a song called “Circles”. Vocals & Instruments are done by me. I think the production is not perfect, as I recorded it with a laptop and a microphone but I did my best.
https://youtu.be/knsfyNF-BS4

Janneck Schmacke Joined Aug 13, 2017
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 14, 2017, 12:38 AM

It takes a moment or two to get into the song, but I think it’s really good. It has a kind of hypnotic feel to it and a loose authenticity that makes me think of 60s music. Probably worth investing in a DAW to polish it up a bit rather than relying on Audacity alone.  .

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 15, 2017, 05:36 AM

Good work there, very nice hook in the chorus and some niche ideas for the breaks.

MartinW Joined Dec 29, 2013
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 21, 2017, 03:12 PM

The chorus is strong, the harmonies really lift it. Only thing I would say is do more harmonies throughout, you’ve got a great voice for it.

Apotheke Joined Sep 17, 2016
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 21, 2017, 07:12 PM

Thank you! Yes, Gavin, Audacity is not the best option for producing songs, that’s right.
Apotheke, there are backing vox in many passages of the song but I know what you mean. I’m always happy when there is a big choir in the chorus - so maybe some more backings in one of the next songs.

• Rank

Send PM

Aug 26, 2017, 06:43 PM

Hey Janneck,

Cool song. I like the vibe a lot. And I like your voice.

The mix though…have you tried Audacity? It’s free and has everything you would need. There are also a lot of YouTube videos to show you how to use it effectively.

John Evans Joined Oct 01, 2016
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 08:40 AM
John Evans - 26 August 2017 06:43 PM

The mix though…have you tried Audacity? It’s free and has everything you would need. There are also a lot of YouTube videos to show you how to use it effectively.

It’s actually made with Audacity😶😅

• Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 09:35 AM

Oh…lol.

The song I just posted ‘Dark Skies’ was mixed in Audacity as well.

How are you recording? Direct to PC or mic’d?

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 10:01 AM

Okay, that has a much better sound. I recorded it with a mic.

• Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 10:30 AM

I am a little old school and still use my guitar effects pedals. I don’t mess around with DAW effects much, although it would make my life much easier when I want to change something where I could just make a few mouse clicks instead of re-recording. But I plug the effects pedals direct into the PC. I never use a mic.

Once you dial in the levels to ensure you are not clipping all over the place then record away. Once all parts recorded I always use the noise reduction feature, add some reverb where needed, and some eq adjusting.

With most guitar parts I will play them through twice the exact same way then pan one far right and the other far left. Same with keys. Bass lines I usually leave straight down the middle.

There are some other panning tricks if you only want to play through once, or if you can’t seem to play it through a second time the exact same way which happens to me when I get lazy. In audacity if you record one track in stereo, then ‘split stereo track’. Now you have two separate tracks of the same thing. However in order to truly get the wide stereo sound then on ONE of the split tracks just delete a few milliseconds off of the beginning of it. This very slight adjustment makes a HUGE difference.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 10:47 AM

John is able to do all that without a DAW because he is a certified genius with a degree in Being a Genius from Harvard. It’s much easier with a DAW. Doesn’t have to be a top-of-the range professional one. The cheaper ones are really good nowadays.

I’ve done that trick with getting the wide stereo sound by shifting one track by a couple of milliseconds. I think it has to be done sparingly on vocals or it can be distracting for the brain between the headphones. It sounds great on John’s guitar though.

Gavin Sinclair Joined Dec 02, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 12:19 PM

Lol. More like I have just have been using Audacity for a long time. I also have Adobe Audition but it’s a pain in the a** so I always wind up going back to Audacity.

• Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 27, 2017, 12:25 PM

😂
Thank you for the detailed help. I’ve been using Audacity for a longer time, too, trying out some stuff but there are a lot of good ideas.

• Rank

Send PM