what are the upsides and downsides of..

Aug 16, 2017, 12:57 PM

..working with singers / songwriters / musicians who are very young ? by young I mean , someone still in their teens . does anyone have any personal experiences of collaborating with younger people ? knowing what teenagers can be like , is it more trouble than its worth ?

sandor nevery Joined Jun 08, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 16, 2017, 03:45 PM

The downside is that they have limited life experiences, and think they know it all, so sometimes it is a very tough thing to do. Dealing with attitudes from anyone is a pain, but at times artists can be extra problematic. You have to figure out how to say something IN THEIR VOICE and since they are still developing their voice, you have to help them find it. It is more than just writing, it is mentoring. If you can convince them that you know what you are talking about, they can become very good allies.

The upsides are they have the energy and enthusiasm to take things beyond what you yourself can do. And if you are thinking of having cuts in this day and age, it is not just suggested, it is essential.

It will challenge you as a writer in ways you have never imagined but will also show what you are made of. Yes, I’ve written with between 100-150 people under the age of 18.

MAB

Marc-Alan Barnette Joined Jul 29, 2010
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 17, 2017, 12:09 PM

so I imagine , it would make things even more difficult , if you were dealing with a singer , who dosent write their own material

sandor nevery Joined Jun 08, 2014
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 18, 2017, 06:38 AM

Singers who don’t write are the bread and butter of Songwriters.

Once upon a time someone said, “Go to Nashville. Go anywhere, gas station, grocery store, out on the street. Hand somebody a guitar and tell them, ‘Play me a Song you wrote.’ and odds are they can do it. There are thousands of aspiring writers, but there are millions of aspiring singers.

Artists who don’t write are like drug addicts, always looking for that hit from someone else. Even those who do write are on the lookout for Songs to showcase their talent, to promote their act, their image. Labels have to sign someone or they’re out of business. So they hire the ‘vehicle’ to put up in lights, pretty/handsome, young, can sing, and then they push the catalog of Songs they have access to, seeing if one or more of them can be a hit for their new artist (and for the Songwriter).

The problem with working with young people is that they grow up and do all the things young people are infamous for; they make bad decisions and you have to cope with that. They resist management when it crosses the line from managing the commercial aspects of things to trying to manage life decisions, relationships, parents, carousing, drinking (alcohol is dope, like any other dope), drugs, running your mouth where your words get reported to the world. They have to have a sense of autonomy in decision-making but they also need guidance to keep them from putting one foot in their mouth and hopping around on the other one in front of the Paparazzi.

These are the things that management or anyone engaging in commerce with young people, or anyone of any age, have to consider when they take the job. Any of those factors can bring the entry and progress in the marketplace to a screeching halt. Investment stalls or goes down the drain. That’s the nature of commerce. Risk. Not knowing what you don’t know.

But Songwriters should keep on writing. Every singer needs Songs. Cover the classics. That’s fine. But something ‘original’, meaning you’re the singer who brought it to everyone’s attention, that is the vehicle to take them to the top of the charts, and get distribution (if there’s anything salable to distribute), and bring buyers to the ticket office, sell merchandise, get media coverage. If they get a hit and don’t get fat, have an affair, commit a crime, choke a baby, you may see them touring your county fair 30 years from now, all because you supplied them a Song.

There will always be another song to be written. Someone will write it. Why not you? http://www.garyeandrews.com

Gary E. Andrews Joined Apr 12, 2005
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM

Aug 29, 2017, 07:30 PM

good read gentlemen, I enjoyed this thread . There are some good points and wisdom.

” I’m just a guy with a Guitar”
      BC Caster

BCCaster Joined Aug 29, 2017
  • Rank
  • Rank

Send PM